Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 90 of 150 FirstFirst ... 40808889909192100140 ... LastLast
Results 1,336 to 1,350 of 2239
    Quote Originally Posted by hanton View Post
    The problem is him and Anderson might be asked to play roles they have no business being in - like #1,#2. Not many are questioning him as a 3.
    We have no idea how either will handle the ALBeast either. I have a bad feeling Roark will become a dumpster fire. Still better than anything else we have I guess.

I hope Atkins goes out and gets Edwin now. 1 year 10 mil or 1+ a vesting option if he hits 35HR or something like that.
    Quote Originally Posted by ChongInc. View Post
    Facts can be hypothetical.

I think they a good rotation normally has 1 starter that win 15-20 games and 4 more that win 10-15. Essentially, 1 ace and 4 more quality arms. When last season ended our rotation didn't have anyone who could be counted on to win 10+ games next year. If Shoemaker can stay healthy they could have 3....and that doesn't include Pearson.

Even if they just post ERA's between 4.00 - 4.50 over ~160 innings they will be massive upgrades over what we had to watch last year. They would effectively replace guys like Sanchez, Buchholz, Richard, Pannone and Edwin Jackson who threw about 315 innings for the Jays last year with an ERA north of 6. They may not be sexy names, but that is still a pretty massive upgrade.

Quote Originally Posted by bartron_44 View Post
    I think they a good rotation normally has 1 starter that win 15-20 games and 4 more that win 10-15. Essentially, 1 ace and 4 more quality arms. When last season ended our rotation didn't have anyone who could be counted on to win 10+ games next year. If Shoemaker can stay healthy they could have 3....and that doesn't include Pearson.

Even if they just post ERA's between 4.00 - 4.50 over ~160 innings they will be massive upgrades over what we had to watch last year. They would effectively replace guys like Sanchez, Buchholz, Richard, Pannone and Edwin Jackson who threw about 315 innings for the Jays last year with an ERA north of 6. They may not be sexy names, but that is still a pretty massive upgrade.
    Yeah they pretty much took the entire year to ďassessĒ what they have. Turns out they had nothing the entire time.

Quote Originally Posted by R. Johnson#3 View Post
    I hope Atkins goes out and gets Edwin now. 1 year 10 mil or 1+ a vesting option if he hits 35HR or something like that.
    I hope they sign him and have a feeling they will. i think some might be underestimating the need for adding a good bat in the lineup. ...and he's a fan favorite. What a way it would be to start the season with the "homecoming" and his bird/wing home run trot.

I hope they sign him and have a feeling they will. i think some might be underestimating the need for adding a good bat in the lineup. ...and he's a fan favorite. What a way it would be to start the season with the "homecoming" and his bird/wing home run trot.
    I think it would benefit them greatly, and improve the view of this FO with the less intense/intelligent-about-the-team/league fans.

It'd be a way to make good with the fans, won't cost a lot and it'll actually help the team win ball games. Sure it won't effect the long term plans but it'll help this team make the transition from basement to .500. Put him in the 4 spot and enjoy the 35 HR and 100 RBI he'll provide. The only FA bat on the market who's really capable of providing anything long term is Castellanos. Unless Atkins is getting him then he should just scoop up Edwin now if he wants to start winning.

I think it would benefit them greatly, and improve the view of this FO with the less intense/intelligent-about-the-team/league fans.
    That's what I'm thinking as well ...I know so many, lets call them casual fans , and they have really lost interest and wonder why I even bring up the Jays. This would bring back a bit of the interest.

Quote Originally Posted by bartron_44 View Post
    I think Roark at 2/24 is a steal.

Look at his last 4 years..

2016: 16-10 with a 2.83 ERA over 33 starts (210 IP / 3.3 WAR)
    2017: 13-11 with a 4.67 ERA over 30 starts (181.1 IP / 2.8 WAR)
    2018: 9-15 with a 4.38 ERA over 30 starts (180.1 IP / 2.2 WAR)
    2019: 10-10 with a 4.35 ERA over 31 starts (165.1 IP / 2.0 WAR)

If Cinci didn't give him the quick yank when he was throwing well the first 4 months of the year he likely throws closer to 180 innings and posts a WAR above 2.0 for the 4th consecutive season.

Do you know who else people should be a bit more excited about too.....Chase Anderson. That guy actually increased his velo last year, and over the last 3 seasons has put up the following:

2017: 12-4 with a 2.78 ERA over 25 starts
    2018: 9-8 with 3.83 ERA over 30 starts
    2019: 7-4 with a 4.19 ERA over 27 starts (They didn't let him start in April)

He threw the second most innings on a team that went 89-73, and the second most innings on their 2018 team that won 96 games so he's battle tested in pennant races. The fact that they got someone like him for Chad effing Spanberger is an outright fleecing.

Those two should really help stabilize this rotation.

If they sign/acquire another arm,all of the sudden they could have an entirely new starting 5 from how they finished last year..If that guy is somehow Ryu, it could look like:

Ryu
    Anderson
    Roark
    Shoemaker
    Pearson

with Kay, Borucki, Zeuch, Wags and Thornton all in AAA unless they make some trades...
    i like the roark signing too, hes a bulldog and I could see him being like a modern version of Buerhle

im not to sure about anderson though too injury prone for my taste, id rather go after Happ if they eat half

Anyone have a clue why the Jays (picking 5th) didn't snag anyone in the rule 5? 5th crappiest team in baseball and we pass. Smh.

Quote Originally Posted by town123 View Post
    Anyone have a clue why the Jays (picking 5th) didn't snag anyone in the rule 5? 5th crappiest team in baseball and we pass. Smh.
    Seems illogical to me too. Brings me back to hantons comment about their priorities being Mis-aligned.
    If they donít think this team can afford to waste a 26 man roster spot because theyíre going to be battling for every win... then they are out of touch with this teams timeline.

Seems illogical to me too. Brings me back to hantons comment about their priorities being Mis-aligned.
    If they donít think this team can afford to waste a 26 man roster spot because theyíre going to be battling for every win... then they are out of touch with this teams timeline.
    Maybe they intend to fill the 25 man without the Rule 5 draft? There's plenty of young players vying for spots this year.

The problem is him and Anderson might be asked to play roles they have no business being in - like #1,#2. Not many are questioning him as a 3.
    That really doesnít mean much. By the second or third time through the rotation thereís been injuries, rain days, scheduled off days, etc etc. They wonít be lining up against other teamsí ones and twos every outing. I donít think itís the same effect as fitting a hitter or reliever into the wrong role.

Quote Originally Posted by town123 View Post
    I would say that they didnít think anyone available could stick on the roster for the whole season.

Quote Originally Posted by mike_noodles View Post
    I would say that they didnít think anyone available could stick on the roster for the whole season.
    I would say they didnít want any indicators that this is still a rebuild/asset acquisition year.