Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 371 of 405 FirstFirst ... 271321361369370371372373381 ... LastLast
Results 5,551 to 5,565 of 6067
    If they cant afford Semien they probably cant afford Cory.

Quote Originally Posted by Raps18-19 Champ View Post
    If they cant afford Semien they probably cant afford Cory.
    It's not so much that they can't afford Semien, it's that Semien has a spotty track record, and let's be honest his OPS was driven by his power numbers. OBP in the 330s.

I don't think money is going to be the big obstacle. I just don't see the point in signing Kyle Seager as a stopgap when we already have several guys who I would rather see playing in a full time role. I'm no great believer in Espinal or anything, but statistically he was better than Kyle Seager in 2021.
    Last edited by LechWalesa; 10-11-2021 at 02:27 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by LechWalesa View Post
    It's not so much that they can't afford Semien, it's that Semien has a spotty track record, and let's be honest his OPS was driven by his power numbers. OBP in the 330s.

I don't think money is going to be the big obstacle. I just don't see the point in signing Kyle Seager as a stopgap when we already have several guys who I would rather see playing in a full time role. I'm no great believer in Espinal or anything, but statistically he was better than Kyle Seager in 2021.
    I have my doubts about his track record but the Blue Jays will try to resign him unless they get outbid.

I do think theyll go after other FAs or make trades before Seagwr but hes not a bad option.

Quote Originally Posted by LechWalesa View Post

Id argue track record for seager is better than espinal who never showed anything before this 200 or so at bats to be more than a back up infielder. And I like espinal. Always followed him since the Pearce trade

If semien gets offered like 8 years then Im out. Seager seems like a fine idea, especially if hes down for 3b.

After seeing what semien was able to do in this lineup, I think that spot will be coveted by guys looking to prove it. If seager will take a 1 year <20 mil offer then sign me up.
    Guys can still out-play him and take his spot if he doesnt perform.

Id think Kyle will get closer to 10m than 20. Prob inflated by 2m to get him on a 1year deal.
    285 obp last year. Wouldnt be shocked if its 1/11

Quote Originally Posted by wamco View Post
    Id think Kyle will get closer to 10m than 20. Prob inflated by 2m to get him on a 1year deal.
    285 obp last year. Wouldnt be shocked if its 1/11
    I think people are talking about two different Seagers in this conversation.

I gathered that as
    Well so I made sure to say kyle

Quote Originally Posted by wamco View Post
    I gathered that as
    Well so I made sure to say kyle
    Yeah Im getting mixed up my bad

Sucks to see Rays lose. Was hoping they won

Quote Originally Posted by Raps18-19 Champ View Post
    Sucks to see Rays lose. Was hoping they won
    I often look at their roster up and down and cannot figure out how they are so good. I just don't think they are built to win in the playoffs.

Quote Originally Posted by mike_noodles View Post
    I often look at their roster up and down and cannot figure out how they are so good. I just don't think they are built to win in the playoffs.
    Not sure about that. Usually it just depends on who is hot or not or the matchups. They happen to have q bunch of guys outperforming in the regular season so maybe thats why.

They probably got screwed in game 3.

It looks like we will be getting a Red Sox Astros series. Whoever makes it out of the NL gotta win against those teams.

[QUOTE=LechWalesa;34117689]It's not so much that they can't afford Semien, it's that Semien has a spotty track record, and let's be honest his OPS was driven by his power numbers. OBP in the 330s.

I agree with this. I mean he sure as **** looked legit this year. Like everyday. Didnt seem like a fluke.

Did some switch flip in 2019 because he turned into a different player. But then what happened in 2020? He reverted to the player he was prior to breakout which was 2400 at bats with a 713 OPS (96 ops+).
    Hell be playing his age 31 season in 2022.

Jays have already said they will be trying to retain both he and ray so well see . Me personally , I would be too risk adverse to meet his ask I think.

I think his value (7 war which, lets hedge a bit and say 2021 was his peak and say he puts up a 5.5 WAR campaign next season. He played every game this year so this figure will account for a bit of a lesser year and/or a minor dl stint) can be adequately replaced by playing -

A healthy biggio at 2b. Id says he easily gets to 2.4 WAR. Was .4 this year (+2)

165 ab got 1 WAR from Kirk. 500 ab should
    Get to to 3 WAR next year getting reps
    At DH. (+2)

Seager was 2 WAR this year with 35hr and I expect better hitting in TO, in this stadium, in this ballpark than. In Seattle. Espinal was 2.5 this year.
    So we got about 3 WAR out of 3b this year. Id expect the same next year.

200-250 more at bats for springer and 200-250
    Less ab from grichuk (900 ops vs 700 ops. 143 ops plus vs 89)

If you believe in espinal and want to roll with him until one of Groshans, Otto Lopez or Kevin smith push him for playing time/ platoon, that saves about 23m next season (saying semien gets 23.5m). I believe with the 4 players listed, Id be content rolling the dice here and seeing the cream rise to the top. If you like espinal, you should love Lopez whose profile suggests he will be a better espinal. I think Groshans and Lopez will need at least 2/3 of a season however. So that leaves espinal and Kevin smith to hold down the fort until then.

Putting that money towards run prevention/pitching should bring back significant value and net a pick which I think the real value there may not be
    The player chosen, but the ability to have that expanded budget/creativity during the draft at your disposal to sign players commanding more money. The system needs a further influx of sp. a pick from ray as well would further help in this regard.

If there is 60m to spend, Id go with ray (or other sp you think can put up 80pct of rays numbers as he probably peaked this year as well), matz (Roark type deal), 2 studs for bullpen, put Pearson in pen in the biagini 2ip role. Extend berrios. Move grichuck if possible.
    Beeston: "we should be able to support a $140-$150 million payroll and that's the direction that we're headed."

I have a tough time putting too much thought into that 2020 season. There was still a lot of runway left for semien to get hot. He wasnt even playing that bad, just ran out of track.