Like us on Facebook


Follow us on Twitter





Page 374 of 405 FirstFirst ... 274324364372373374375376384 ... LastLast
Results 5,596 to 5,610 of 6072
  1. #5596
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    North Shore
    Posts
    12,879
    Quote Originally Posted by pebloemer View Post
    I doubt team would want to take on that extra 1 year, 9.5 million. It may not be atrocious, but it is unnecessarily high for a player who can't even get to 1 WAR with an everyday MLB role. Wouldn't almost any team just prefer to give that opportunity to a young player with upside in the organization and not spend the 9.5 million?

    I think Jays need to add an asset to move him. It could be done in a larger deal where you give Grichuk + prospects for an everyday player that may fit more of a positional need perhaps. The prospect package would depend on the type of player coming in return.
    Yeah, you're probably right. I just thought that if you brought back a pitcher who is owed something close to what Grichuk is owed I'd probably take it. Granted, it would probably be a lower end of the rotation bounce back candidate. If they can absorb the salary, they should DFA him and see if he gets picked up. I just really don't want him on the team anymore

    Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

  2. #5597
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Posts
    59,418
    You have to trade him for a bad contract is the thing. Either you take on more money upfront or take on a longer contract (at lower AAV).

    Maybe Keuchel given hes owed $18 mil next year with a $1.5 mil buyout. Practically same cost as Grich. Keuchel was pure trash at 5 ERA and Whitesox probabky want a durable 4th OF. Or maybe Girch and cash or low tier prospect for Kikuchi's $15 mil contract.

    Depends on the budget and stuff since we giving more money upfront.

  3. #5598
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    13,582
    Quote Originally Posted by Kenny Powders View Post
    Yeah, you're probably right. I just thought that if you brought back a pitcher who is owed something close to what Grichuk is owed I'd probably take it. Granted, it would probably be a lower end of the rotation bounce back candidate. If they can absorb the salary, they should DFA him and see if he gets picked up. I just really don't want him on the team anymore

    Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk
    I don't want him on the team anymore either. I don't love the idea of getting a Tanner Roark type for another couple years at similar money (which is what I'd envision a deal like this would be). Grichuk is a good professional, but he has a sub-par right handed bat and no everyday position to play. That roster spot could be used to get complimentary features this team needs. Speed and the ability to play high level CF defense? I'd prefer that in a 4th OF. Left handed bat? I'd prefer that with a bench player. Either of those directions would be more favourable than Grichuk to me.

    The type of deal I'd love to see is to package Grichuk, Kirk, Groshans for a high impact player that fits positional need and can bat left handed. Ramirez is the name that comes up often, but how about Ketel Marte in Arizona? Plays CF and 2B. Switch hitter that bats for a very high average with 3 years, 30 million left on the deal. I am guessing Arizona would demand Moreno or Martinez in any deal mind you.

  4. #5599
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Posts
    59,418
    You may have to give more prospects so they take on his contract.

    I may just wait him at that point if we cant find an equally bad player.

  5. #5600
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    13,582
    Quote Originally Posted by Raps18-19 Champ View Post
    You may have to give more prospects so they take on his contract.

    I may just wait him at that point if we cant find an equally bad player.
    That or take back unwanted money on the other end. Either way, there is definitely an added cost to include him in a deal for sure. I guess whether it is better to trade the player for other unwanted money or attach young assets to get rid of the money would partially be a question of team budget. Is the 9 million hindering us from doing what we want to do? If it is just a roster spot to be freed up, they could eat the money...

  6. #5601
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Posts
    59,418
    Yea that why i think Id just waive him if you cant find a bad contract to take bad at another position.

    Unless some bad team like Orioles take him for a low end prospect.

  7. #5602
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    13,582
    Quote Originally Posted by Raps18-19 Champ View Post
    Yea that why i think Id just waive him if you cant find a bad contract to take bad at another position.

    Unless some bad team like Orioles take him for a low end prospect.
    If there was only one year left, I feel that might be easier. But they made the decision on Roark sooner than I expected, so maybe that option is in the cards for the front office. We really don't need a sub-par right handed bench bat that can play decent OF taking up a roster spot. All of the other 3 everyday OF'ers offer so much more with that bat. The need some lefty bats to balance the lineup.

  8. #5603
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Posts
    2,069
    The thing with Grich is that we ended up needing to play him a lot last year. If we're going to waive/trade/whatever him, we need to have a decent backup. He was at least serviceable in CF, who else do we have who can play that position?

  9. #5604
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Posts
    2,069
    Quote Originally Posted by pebloemer View Post
    I don't want him on the team anymore either. I don't love the idea of getting a Tanner Roark type for another couple years at similar money (which is what I'd envision a deal like this would be). Grichuk is a good professional, but he has a sub-par right handed bat and no everyday position to play. That roster spot could be used to get complimentary features this team needs. Speed and the ability to play high level CF defense? I'd prefer that in a 4th OF. Left handed bat? I'd prefer that with a bench player. Either of those directions would be more favourable than Grichuk to me.

    The type of deal I'd love to see is to package Grichuk, Kirk, Groshans for a high impact player that fits positional need and can bat left handed. Ramirez is the name that comes up often, but how about Ketel Marte in Arizona? Plays CF and 2B. Switch hitter that bats for a very high average with 3 years, 30 million left on the deal. I am guessing Arizona would demand Moreno or Martinez in any deal mind you.
    I'd do Gorshans, Pearson, Grich, Lopez, and a lottery ticket. Not sure if that gets it done, though.

  10. #5605
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Posts
    59,418
    I think you can probably get someone decent on a 1 year deal that's a LHH.

    Someone like Rosario or Joc could probably be had for a 1 year $10 mil deal. We can just rotate the DH so he should get a lot of burn time.

    If we could get a pitcher for Girch Id consider it. Id probably take a flyer on Keuchel even though I think hes done. Just as insurance.

  11. #5606
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Posts
    14,458
    Have to consider that we could eat some of grichís contract. Heís still only missing the plate vision.

  12. #5607
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    West Side
    Posts
    13,576
    Quote Originally Posted by ChongInc. View Post
    Have to consider that we could eat some of grichís contract. Heís still only missing the plate vision.
    He finds it for a month of each year.

    I always come away amazed when I think of how bad he is for most of the year, that somehow he still puts up 20+ homers and 80 RBI like this year and 2019. Some team should see some value in him. Maybe a team that desperately needs some production like the O's or Tigers?


    The Lost Boys of PSD

  13. #5608
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Posts
    59,418
    He's basically our JP Arencebia.

  14. #5609
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    1,073
    Quote Originally Posted by ChongInc. View Post
    Have to consider that we could eat some of grichís contract. Heís still only missing the plate vision.
    He needs to go. So does Ryu.

  15. #5610
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Posts
    1,318
    Quote Originally Posted by T.O. Fan View Post
    I believe the article in question was the suggestion that the Marlins could be interested in Kirk and could offer up starting pitching in return.

    Totally off topic, but does anyone recall why the Jays didn't put Semien at 3B and leave Biggio at 2B?
    Ramirez of Cleveland. But not even up. Bunch of others prospects involved also.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •