Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 300 of 364 FirstFirst ... 200250290298299300301302310350 ... LastLast
Results 4,486 to 4,500 of 5460
    Profar probably gonna get starter opportunities.

Quote Originally Posted by statquo View Post
    Who's coming off the bench?

Kirk, McGuire, Fisher, Espinal as of now?
    Doubt theyd have 2 catchers. Fisher shouldnt be on the roster.

Mcguire/Espinal will be there and they should get a guy who plays OF/IF (Gonzalez?) and another infielder.

Quote Originally Posted by bartron_44 View Post
    I don't think anyone in Cleveland is "untouchable" with our young talent and farm system.

I think my last post came across wrong though, as I wasn't thinking one or the other when it comes to trading for an ace and trying to sign Bauer. I was thinking they should try and do both if they still have the money to spend on Bauer

I don't think they need to sure up the middle infield...maybe 3B though if they don't plan to give Vladdy an extended look there now that he put the work in to get in shape. I think Bo and Cavan are locked in up the middle for now.

Im in no hurry to trade Grichuk. Springer isn't known for playing 162 games. Starting caliber players on the bench is what you want to get to. Having 4 starting caliber OF's and multiple guys who can play CF isn't a bad thing.
    I have no problem keeping Grich, however if a deal presents itself to move him and his contract I'd take it, just to have that 10mil to spend on a need/arb player raises next season. He's becoming more of a luxury on this roster than not now. I'd have no problem with J. Davis as our 4th OF to play CF at ~9.5mil less than Grich.

I'd try to get an INF in case/when Vlad becomes a liability at 3B. He didn't show much D there in winterball, but I am quite happy he took to a new diet and training regiment. If he can change his launch angle, he can hit 40-50 HRs in a full season.

Quote Originally Posted by R. Johnson#3 View Post
    Fisher should be starting. We traded Aaron Sanchez for him for crying out loud!!!
    in AAA

Quote Originally Posted by ChongInc. View Post
    Why trade the specs away in a deal like that? We still have money to spend. No reason to trade for Castillo when Bauer is available. Castillo will be expensive when the rest of the roster is expensive, so itís basically the same thing as spending now on a FA, except you have to send a huge package the other way.

Castillo makes sense if we have 5mil left and no decent FA pitching options. Those trades will make sense when we are in sustain mode.
    Agreed.

Quote Originally Posted by statquo View Post
    Who's coming off the bench?

Kirk, McGuire, Fisher, Espinal as of now?
    I donít know if you carry two catchers with a four man bench. Maybe Davis for late inning OF defense? Possibly Urena? I kinda hope we sign another cheap utility man.

Anyone have any hope for fisher as a DH?

Not really
    Beeston: "we should be able to support a $140-$150 million payroll and that's the direction that we're headed."

Quote Originally Posted by T.O. Fan View Post
    in AAA
    I was being sarcastic. They could waive him for all I care.
    Facts can be hypothetical.

I just fell off my chair

Quote Originally Posted by Chaotic98 View Post
    I have no problem keeping Grich, however if a deal presents itself to move him and his contract I'd take it, just to have that 10mil to spend on a need/arb player raises next season. He's becoming more of a luxury on this roster than not now. I'd have no problem with J. Davis as our 4th OF to play CF at ~9.5mil less than Grich.

I'd try to get an INF in case/when Vlad becomes a liability at 3B. He didn't show much D there in winterball, but I am quite happy he took to a new diet and training regiment. If he can change his launch angle, he can hit 40-50 HRs in a full season.
    I disagree that having 4 good outfielders who can hit is a luxury. Not if you are a team that now is not just hoping to, but expecting to win 90+ games ( assuming they play 162 of course) with this payroll. You dont want a single player on the 26man roster being punted AB's. People are going to get hurt. You need quality bench players around to fill on when that happens.

Springer has also missed 20+ games each of the last 3 full major league seasons. I hope that doesn't continue, but you have to plan as if it will.

Technically, right now he's a 10M/yr DH/4th OF. ...or a 10M/yr RF who can hit 30+ HR's if he plays everyday and Teoscar is the DH. He wouldn't just be sitting around and rotting.

I dont mind Davis...but I'd rather he be the 5th OF on the depth chart and not the 4th.

Quote Originally Posted by bartron_44 View Post
    I disagree that having 4 good outfielders who can hit is a luxury. Not if you are a team that now is not just hoping to, but expecting to win 90+ games ( assuming they play 162 of course) with this payroll. You dont want a single player on the 26man roster being punted AB's. People are going to get hurt. You need quality bench players around to fill on when that happens.

Springer has also missed 20+ games each of the last 3 full major league seasons. I hope that doesn't continue, but you have to plan as if it will.

Technically, right now he's a 10M/yr DH/4th OF. ...or a 10M/yr RF who can hit 30+ HR's if he plays everyday and Teoscar is the DH. He wouldn't just be sitting around and rotting.

I dont mind Davis...but I'd rather he be the 5th OF on the depth chart and not the 4th.
    As of now yes. I don't see the Jays standing pat and letting Vladdy play a whole season at 3B. That 90 win team doesn't exist with that infield D or pitching, no matter how many runs they score.

I'm less concerned who the 4th OF is as to who the 3B and backup INF is. In case of days off Davis can play CF, Biggio RF/LF. When 3B/SS/2B gets injured does Grich play those? Do we run Espinal for 80 games (days off and injuries)? Play Vladdy 140 games at 3B? In 8 games or 61 innings in winterball, Vladdy had 4 errors and a fielding % of .857.

I'm not against keeping Grich (keeping him this year helps eat away one year off his contract) I'm against his contract and who can take up that space now. If he were a 1-4 mil player, he'd be a perfect 4th OF, at 10 he's a luxury who we could reallocate to a Hand or Walker or an INF. However, if there's an offer that can either help address our infielder or pitching needs by trading him or his contract to address them, that's something we have to do.

Our problem is that we still have 3 players better suited to DH in Vladdy/Teo/Tellez. I'd rather have their bats than Grich's bat or D in RF over Teo. In terms of trade value Vladdy>Teo>Grich>=Tellez, but Grich's contract is the only one that can hinder us.
    Last edited by Chaotic98; 01-21-2021 at 11:10 PM.

Why trade the specs away in a deal like that? We still have money to spend. No reason to trade for Castillo when Bauer is available. Castillo will be expensive when the rest of the roster is expensive, so itís basically the same thing as spending now on a FA, except you have to send a huge package the other way.

Castillo makes sense if we have 5mil left and no decent FA pitching options. Those trades will make sense when we are in sustain mode.
    Why not both?! If.they manage to sign Bauer and trade for Castillo (and Gray), they have to be odds on favourite for the pennant

Quote Originally Posted by Kenny Powders View Post
    Why not both?! If.they manage to sign Bauer and trade for Castillo (and Gray), they have to be odds on favourite for the pennant
    Looks like the Mets are still in on Bauer as well as my predicted landing spot for him (Angels). Maybe the Mets wouldn't go above 20x6 because they planned to go after a SP instead?

I hope they do both, but I don't think there is any way they land Bauer now. The theory is the same though. You don't just sign another FA or make trades for player on cheaper contracts...you do both! That is the upside of having both a loaded farm AND money to spend at the same time (..that they worked so hard to get to.). You aren't limited to one route or the other, you can do whatever you want.

Quote Originally Posted by Chaotic98 View Post

Our problem is that we still have 3 players better suited to DH in Vladdy/Teo/Tellez. I'd rather have their bats than Grich's bat or D in RF over Teo. In terms of trade value Vladdy>Teo>Grich>=Tellez, but Grich's contract is the only one that can hinder us.

I don't understand this line of thought by some people on here. Teo was fine last year in RF. He probably has better footspeed that Grichuk as well as a better arm. He definitely isn't a player you need to DH. CF was a bit of a stretch for him (..like it was for Grichuk), but he is at least an average defensive RF overall. Which is totally acceptable when you are winning silver slugger awards (or even close).

Tellez is the best defensive 1B on this team, and has actually looked really good there imo. He got unlucky stepping on a mound in Buffalo going after a pop up, but he showed decent footspeed to even try to get to that ball. He came in last year in shape and looking like a beast (as soon as he got rid of that foolish combover he was sporting anyway....lol) , he has good hands, he picks everything in the dirt, he's 6'4 to catch high throws and he's left handed (which is also ideal for a 1B) with a accurate throwing arm. He's not some old or overweight player you need to hide at DH, and he showed last year he isn't a hitter you need to platoon either. He's an everyday 1B and the reason that Vladdy is likely going to end up as a DH.

Right now the Jays have 1 guy that is "best suited" on a major league team as a DH, and his name is Vladdy. Now maybe he comes into ST and proves that statement wrong now that he is in shape....but if his performance in winter league is any indication that likely isn't going to happen. I think he really wants to play 3B, but the more studs they put on this team, the less they can afford to give him time to try and become a passable major league 3B.