Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 284 of 363 FirstFirst ... 184234274282283284285286294334 ... LastLast
Results 4,246 to 4,260 of 5444
    Already posted.
    Last edited by Kenny Powders; 01-15-2021 at 02:55 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Chaotic98 View Post
    It seems DJ always wanted to return to the Yankees and wanted 80-90 million to do so. Essentially it's a 4/90 with a couple buyout years. I don't see him either a) being as productive or playable at 2B at years 37-38 or b) on that roster. They already have a DH (Stanton) whose contract will be hard to move. This just allows them to have an AAV of 15mil vs 18-22.5mil.

As for Springer, his market keeps dropping, will his price?

I don't mind if we sign JBJ/Walker/a RP for his AAV. He's a good CFer right now, I just don't see him giving us more than 2-3 plus years at CF. I can see JBJ giving us plus CF for 3-5. JBJ is like a Devon white, defense first with some pop and speed. Springer will in 2-3 years need a move to a corner OF spot, which brings us back to the 2020 FA period looking for a CF and needing to move a corner OF.

There's quite a few ways to retool this team, for next season and beyond, hope this coming week starts the groundwork on a faster FA and Trade market.
    Nah, I'm all for Springer. Dude can rake and even if he moves to a corner outfield he's still a very good player if he can hit. 6.5 fWAR in '19 and 1.9 in 51 last, his road splits are better then home and he gets on base.

We need OF help, he needs a home and we have the most money to play with. It should be a no brainier.

Quote Originally Posted by pebloemer View Post
    If Mets want to stay under the tax threshold, it is hard to see them have money for Hand and Springer. I'm not convinced they won't go into luxury tax yet, but this could feasibly open the door wider for the Jays and Springer to unite. Also, who is going to pay Bauer?

Looks like things are at least moving forward a little bit with FA.

If Mets do still land Springer, I'm hoping for the pitching/defense approach. Bauer, Wong, JBJ.
    I can't see how they are going to do it without shedding lots of salary. They sit at 175 next year and they have like five prominent FA and that doesn't even include Hand. I can't see them being in on Springer.

Quote Originally Posted by bartron_44 View Post
    While I don't disagree with the more than one way to skin a cat type of argument, that isn't what they said they were going to do this off season. They said they would add not 1, but multiple impact players. While JBJ is a solid add, he isn't an "impact player". I will take 3 great years of Springer over 4-5 good years from JBJ. JBJ is an ok consolation prize in CF if you miss out on Springer, but with more than 25-30 million to spend, I will take 1 or 2 all-star type additions over a 3 or 4 "good players".

Now, if the argument is, we don't really need a CF as much as we need pitching so I would rather spend my money on Bauer than Springer, that I could get behind. This team DESPERATELY needs more proven TORPs. In fact, I would be totally fine if they just went out and got Bauer (4+ years) and Walker (2-3 years) in FA and then made a trade with the Doodgers to bring David Price back (since the Red Sox are paying half his money) to fill out the rotation the next 2 years.

That would be one heck of a staff, particularly compared to NY, Bos and TB (now that they have lost both Snell and Morton).
    They said they would be looking to add they have been. The problem is the players also have to want to come here. Wasn't the case with Kim or DJ, they had other priorities beyond the financial.

The problem is, do we drastically over pay now (in Springer's case, out bidding ourselves, as we are highest bid right now) and carry dead term when we have to try to sign our young core to extensions (Bo, Vladdy, Biggio, LGJ, Pearson, etc) or seek out a cheaper alternative that might actually want to come here.

Springer right now looks like he either wants more money or another market or both. I'm starting to lose sight of the value he brings if that is the case and might pivot to the next best option to fix one of or needs Our needs are defense and pitching JBJ is superior to Springer defensively. Our offense was one of the highest scoring in the league even with losing Bo for half the season.

For Springer's 25-30mil ask we could get JBJ/Walker/Wong or Profar while still having enough left over to chase JTR and Bauer.

Tampa got to the dance without any superstars, we can too, except we have some young players who can become superstars in a season or 2.

Quote Originally Posted by Kenny Powders View Post
    Nah, I'm all for Springer. Dude can rake and even if he moves to a corner outfield he's still a very good player if he can hit. 6.5 fWAR in '19 and 1.9 in 51 last, his road splits are better then home and he gets on base.

We need OF help, he needs a home and we have the most money to play with. It should be a no brainier.
    Agreed, but he also needs to want to come here. Haven't seen any indications of that even if we have been the highest bid.

Not looking good. Down to George or Realmuto or some sort of unforeseen trade.

The Lost Boys of PSD

Quote Originally Posted by statquo View Post
    Iíll take both please. Then package some catchers and amid level specs for a pitcher with control and upside - as long as they donít sell the farm, and as long as that pitcher will be able to help this team contend when theyíre ready.

Quote Originally Posted by statquo View Post
    Bauer is still around as well. Adding him would still be considered a winning offseason for me. We just need to sign one of the top talents though. I mean if we can't convince a player to come here now with a good young team and dollars to spare when will we??
    Vancouver Canucks
    Toronto Blue Jays
    San Francisco 49's

Quote Originally Posted by armchairgm View Post
    Bauer is still around as well. Adding him would still be considered a winning offseason for me. We just need to sign one of the top talents though. I mean if we can't convince a player to come here now with a good young team and dollars to spare when will we??
    Yes. In order, Springer/Bauer and distant 3rd JT - just because he's a catcher.

Quote Originally Posted by ChongInc. View Post
    Iíll take both please. Then package some catchers and amid level specs for a pitcher with control and upside - as long as they donít sell the farm, and as long as that pitcher will be able to help this team contend when theyíre ready.
    Luis Castillo would be my guy. Letís hope for this.

Castillo makes perfect sense, trade a surplus to fill a need. However he just signed today for $4.2M - so Teoscar money and then arb2 and arb3 are going to be considerably north off that. Arb numbers are going to get steep for us the next 2 seasons - better start using that money now.

The time (a better time) to get Castillo was last season

Quote Originally Posted by Chaotic98 View Post
    Agreed, but he also needs to want to come here. Haven't seen any indications of that even if we have been the highest bid.
    Have you seen any indication that he doesn't want to come here? Players will go where they get paid the most.

Quote Originally Posted by hanton View Post
    Castillo makes perfect sense, trade a surplus to fill a need. However he just signed today for $4.2M - so Teoscar money and then arb2 and arb3 are going to be considerably north off that. Arb numbers are going to get steep for us the next 2 seasons - better start using that money now.

The time (a better time) to get Castillo was last season
    I don't think that should stop them from going after him now, I'm just torn on the package it's going to cost.

I am slowly losing hope. As long as we end up with one of Springer or Bauer, I would be happy. If we end up with JBJ Iíll be very disappointed.

Quote Originally Posted by Kenny Powders View Post
    I can't see how they are going to do it without shedding lots of salary. They sit at 175 next year and they have like five prominent FA and that doesn't even include Hand. I can't see them being in on Springer.
    We don't know how much that new owner will spend though. Words are all posturing at this point. We have no assessment of his track record.