Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 280 of 363 FirstFirst ... 180230270278279280281282290330 ... LastLast
Results 4,186 to 4,200 of 5444
    Quote Originally Posted by ChongInc. View Post
    They quoted his “commitment to excellence” lmao. And what exactly has he been excellent at? In his entire career, including Cleveland... what has he been excellent at? They clearly aren’t talking about his on-field product.

Imo Rogers should have held him to the fire, told him he gets his extension when he delivers on his promise of sustained winning.
    Mainly player development. It’s a big part of why he’s a 2 time exec of the year. Those Tribe teams had a whole bunch of talent come through his system. By that time he was President though. The head of player development was someone you’re not too fond of either...

My excitement for our farm over the past few years has a lot to do with the above. Shapiro/Atkins are all about player development as the Tribe teams from the past several years have shown. Then again, they’ve already taken an abysmal farm and turned it into one that’s consistently top 10, they’ve upgraded minor league facilities, increased minor league pay, they’ve created a new branch which is strictly dedicated to player development (HPD) and so on and so forth.

You’ve just been too busy wanting them to do things the way AA did.
    Last edited by R. Johnson#3; 01-13-2021 at 02:25 PM.

They still have work to do so I'm fine with the extension. 5 years of Shap and Ross: Playoff team, semi tore it down, tore it down, rebuild, Covid playoffs team. Can't realistically expect anything more.

Things I'm looking for:

Still want to see the development translate into starting pitching.
    Splash for a star player.
    Above .500 going forward.

The Lost Boys of PSD

Quote Originally Posted by R. Johnson#3 View Post
    Mainly player development. It’s a big part of why he’s a 2 time exec of the year. Those Tribe teams had a whole bunch of talent come through his system. By that time he was President though. The head of player development was someone you’re not too fond of either...

My excitement for our farm over the past few years has a lot to do with the above. Shapiro/Atkins are all about player development as the Tribe teams from the past several years have shown. Then again, they’ve already taken an abysmal farm and turned it into one that’s consistently top 10, they’ve upgraded minor league facilities, increased minor league pay, they’ve created a new branch which is strictly dedicated to player development (HPD) and so on and so forth.

You’ve just been too busy wanting them to do things the way AA did.
    Every team has had talent come through the system. But you’re saying he won executive of the year after he was removed from baseball decisions? Congrats to him I guess.

The reality is, we have a real estate developer running our favourite team. Yippy!

A good leader would have told atkins to stfu and let his actions do the talking.

Are we a farm for other teams? Or are we trying to win here? Cause shapiro or Atkins have not shown they can build an ALE winner.

Every team has had talent come through the system. But you’re saying he won executive of the year after he was removed from baseball decisions? Congrats to him I guess.

The reality is, we have a real estate developer running our favourite team. Yippy!

A good leader would have told atkins to stfu and let his actions do the talking.
    He actually won exec of the year both times as a GM. He received a promotion to President in 2010. That’s usually what happens when you’re good at your job. Not sure if he was removed from baseball decisions like you said. If so, then he definitely went out with a bang after trading Jake Westbrook for Corey Kluber.
    Last edited by R. Johnson#3; 01-13-2021 at 03:33 PM.

Are we a farm for other teams? Or are we trying to win here? Cause shapiro or Atkins have not shown they can build an ALE winner.
    It takes a while to turn an abysmal farm with a player development system that was amongst the leagues worst into a consistent winner. He’s done a solid job so far.

When you're in the middle of planning a new stadium, it's probably not very wise to not renew your presidents contract, especially when he apparently didn't good job with the Dunedin faculty. I've never been but from what I gather it went from (one of) the worst to one of the best. Stability is good.

And I really doubt he goes to the baseball side that often. Everything runs through him, probably but my guess is Atkins is given leeway, both Atkins and Antonetti have said as much.

Quote Originally Posted by R. Johnson#3 View Post
    It takes a while to turn an abysmal farm with a player development system that was amongst the leagues worst into a consistent winner. He’s done a solid job so far.
    **** off. We had Tim Mayza

Quote Originally Posted by armchairgm View Post
    Blue Jays anounce Shapiro extended another 5 years. Hopefully he now announces a signing himself soon.
    We finally signed someone.

I'm going to hold my judgement until all the big names find seats in this years' game of musical chairs, and see if they make any trades before the start of spring training. So they have about 4 weeks until I call this off season a failure.

Also, I know it is a collaborative effort, but Shapiro's job is just to ensure they get the money from ownership (..which they apparently have no problems with), and to take care of real estate type things like the stadium overhaul project and the new complex in Dunedin. He may be part of the discussion, but his job isn't to build the team of players, that job falls to Ross Atkins. So if they fail to land any more impact type players via FA or trade, I won't say it's Shapiro's fault. That will be Atkins' fault. I know we always refer to them as a tandem, but you can fire one without firing the other.

Im still in disbelief that they were able to land Ryu last year, and that off season would have been just as bad as this one so far if they didn't pull that off at the end. So this is really a very similar plot/timeline...but with way more options still on the board.

Shapiro's good. The player development has been a lot better since he became president and I think that is more important than being able to swing big trades.

Quote Originally Posted by Kenny Powders View Post
    **** off. We had Tim Mayza
    True. The book is still out on him. For all we know he could become Randy Johnson.

Who has Shapiro drafted and developed that he has lost as an FA to other teams?

Quote Originally Posted by mike_noodles View Post
    Bobby Bonilla lite. Lol.
    True story, Upon divorce a few years ago, I framed my receipt of alimony based on Bonilla contract. Instead of 29 months of payments, I’m enjoying her writing a check every month to me for
    5 years.
    Beeston: "we should be able to support a $140-$150 million payroll and that's the direction that we're headed."

Quote Originally Posted by wamco View Post
    True story, Upon divorce a few years ago, I framed my receipt of alimony based on Bonilla contract. Instead of 29 months of payments, I’m enjoying her writing a check every month to me for
    5 years.
    Well done.