Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 31 of 64 FirstFirst ... 21293031323341 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by statquo View Post
    I'd add Jansen or McGuire into it too. Whoever ends up being better. Just an average bat with either of them and we suddenly have one of the best catchers in baseball.
    I don't really have faith in either of their bats tbh. I didn't realize how far Jansen had come defensively though. Considering Kirk and Moreno are probably 2 and 3 years away respectively it really does make sense to trade one of Jansen/McGuire to strengthen the OF or rotation. I can live with 2 more years of Luke Maile as the backup.
    Quote Originally Posted by ChongInc. View Post
    Facts can be hypothetical.

Quote Originally Posted by bartron_44 View Post
    To me the "core" to build around is Vladdy, Bichette, Biggio and Gurriel. Guys like Jansen, Tellez, Hernandez and Fisher can all be moved for pitching.
    Agreed. Add a CFer to pitching for me. As for players who could be dealt I'd add 1 of Zeuch/Wags/Thornton and 1 of Jansen/McGuire to that list.

Here's an interesting thought. If they add one of Moose/Castellanos/Marte to the lineup then that makes Randal Grichuk the 6th best hitter on the team which is a role he's actually qualified for. Suddenly his 30 HR and 30 2B wouldn't look that bad coming from the 6 or 7 spot.

As for FA arms I'd be happy with either Keuchel or Teheran as well. Atkins said he's talking to "established veterans" and those 2 fit the bill. I really hope they somehow get Wheeler though.

I'd add Jansen or McGuire into it too. Whoever ends up being better. Just an average bat with either of them and we suddenly have one of the best catchers in baseball.
    If you are talking about moves to make right now you can't wait to see who ends up being better between McGuire and Jansen. I can see adding the pair of them to your "core" though since they make a great tandem and you need 2 catchers anyway.

Agree.

Most don't realize it takes years to develop a player and the development timeline for a catcher is even longer.

Starting with the draft, rookie ball....etc. Baseball is unlike other sports as the development curve is long and slow. Trading Jansen now would be throwing away those years of that development. Atkins has shown he's not very active on the either the trade or FA front so player development and patience (which they preach all the time) becomes even more important.

Yankee fans are about to run Gary Sanchez out of town because he sucks so bad behind the plate (in all aspects: game calling, mound visits, framing...etc) - and he's a perennial 25+ homer catcher. Jansen's receiving skills are gold. I say he's a part of that core.

If you are talking about moves to make right now you can't wait to see who ends up being better between McGuire and Jansen. I can see adding the pair of them to your "core" though since they make a great tandem and you need 2 catchers anyway.
    I'm running on the belief that we should run this year as a prove it year for anyone on the roster outside of Guerrero, Bichette and Biggio (maybe Gurriel). So whoever plays better this year between Jansen and McGuire stays and becomes part of the core, while the other becomes trade bait next offseason.

The Lost Boys of PSD

I just donít want Maile back. Either donít trade Jansen or McGuire but if you do get blown away and trade one of them then I think a solid vet should be added. Their might not be a ton out there but finding a better back up then Maile should be pretty easy.

Quote Originally Posted by LanceUpperCut View Post
    I just donít want Maile back. Either donít trade Jansen or McGuire but if you do get blown away and trade one of them then I think a solid vet should be added. Their might not be a ton out there but finding a better back up then Maile should be pretty easy.
    In another year of rebuilding I don't think a backup catcher really matters. Maile calls a good game too. He's the longest tenured Blue Jay so I assume the fans would hate Atkins for getting rid of him . I'm not saying trade Jansen/McGuire for anything but if you can get a CF or an arm then it should be considered.
    Last edited by R. Johnson#3; 11-12-2019 at 02:02 PM.

I'm running on the belief that we should run this year as a prove it year for anyone on the roster outside of Guerrero, Bichette and Biggio (maybe Gurriel). So whoever plays better this year between Jansen and McGuire stays and becomes part of the core, while the other becomes trade bait next offseason.
    So you want to punt this season like we punted last year? Screw that ...

I think they should be trying to get at least 1 more solid SP, 1 solid RP to pair with Giles and 1 solid bat to hit behind Vladdy. They do that and I think they are going to surprise some people...

So you want to punt this season like we punted last year? Screw that ...

I think they should be trying to get at least 1 more solid SP, 1 solid RP to pair with Giles and 1 solid bat to hit behind Vladdy. They do that and I think they are going to surprise some people...
    100% Call it a development year. Add a couple vets to help the rotation and eat some innings, maybe bring some good leadership in the locker room, but other than that, let the boys play through the ups and downs. It'll pay off in the long run.

I will say I've kinda come around to signing someone like Wheeler if he's here for a few years, but I can't see Ross or Shap doing it

The Lost Boys of PSD

BNS and Shi Davidi said Atkins is looking for a starting pitcher in return for Jansen or McGuire. No mention of outfielders. Probably means they're not moving.

Quote Originally Posted by R. Johnson#3 View Post
    BNS and Shi Davidi said Atkins is looking for a starting pitcher in return for Jansen or McGuire. No mention of outfielders. Probably means they're not moving.
    It's really too bad that the Pads won't be looking at young catchers this year. They would make a great trade partner.

Jays are talking to Odorizzi. Theyíre also scouting 2 Japanese outfielders.

Quote Originally Posted by R. Johnson#3 View Post
    Jays are talking to Odorizzi. Theyíre also scouting 2 Japanese outfielders.
    I want both of the japs. Canít go wrong. At the very least, those jap imports usually have good ABís.

Apparently weíve met with Grandal. Thatís interesting.

Page 31 of 64 FirstFirst ... 21293031323341 ... LastLast