Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 190 of 238 FirstFirst ... 90140180188189190191192200 ... LastLast
Results 2,836 to 2,850 of 3569
    I've been disappointed with Vlad but trading him seema a bit much at this point.

If we are like 1 or 2 pieces away then sure. But not when the roster we have right now is so flawed.

Quote Originally Posted by Raps18-19 Champ View Post
    I've been disappointed with Vlad but trading him seema a bit much at this point.

If we are like 1 or 2 pieces away then sure. But not when the roster we have right now is so flawed.
    Trading him shouldn’t be off the table though. I’m down with keeping him but he’ll be the permanent DH in an era where the DH seems to be rotating. In all seriousness, we should see how bad AA wants his guy. He’s got tons of MLB ready arms and outfielders and if his past suggests anything he’s open to trading young talent.

Vladdy basically needs to be an insanely good hitter to have value because he’s a liability if he plays the field.

He'll probably be suited as mainly DH with some 1B but I think he can still get some reps at 3B in limited action if we want to keep his bat in the lineup based on our current roster. Could always trade Tellez I guess but he's one of our few LHH and he's perfomed better than vladdy.

I disagree that we have a flawed roster. We have 7 regulars with an OPS of .791 or greater, our catchers didn't perform close to their 2019 numbers, but it was reasonable to expect that they would combine to be well above league average. It would be nice to add one more impact bat, and hopefully Martin or Groshans graduate sooner than later and we'll have a pretty stacked line-up.

We still need to upgrade our rotation, and we'll be a true contender. We were on an 87 - 75 pace in 2020, and I would be shocked if we regressed in 2021.

Quote Originally Posted by Sasky05 View Post
    I disagree that we have a flawed roster. We have 7 regulars with an OPS of .791 or greater, our catchers didn't perform close to their 2019 numbers, but it was reasonable to expect that they would combine to be well above league average. It would be nice to add one more impact bat, and hopefully Martin or Groshans graduate sooner than later and we'll have a pretty stacked line-up.

We still need to upgrade our rotation, and we'll be a true contender. We were on an 87 - 75 pace in 2020, and I would be shocked if we regressed in 2021.
    So you’re expecting like a 90 win season next year?

A lot hinges on if they can add to the rotation in the off-season. I never expected much out of Jansen/McGuire aside from defence which is why I was adamant about dealing one of them last off-season. I still would like to move one of them but both their values have taken a hit now.

If Pearson can find some confidence in his change up and/or curveball then he should continue to be used in the rotation. Julian Merryweather is another arm I want to see stretched out. He has starter stuff but we need to see if he can throw 5 or 6 innings a game. If Atkins goes out and gets Bauer along with re-signing 1 of Walker/Ray that'll be amazing.

Ryu
    Bauer
    Walker/Ray
    Pearson/Merryweather
    Roark
    Quote Originally Posted by ChongInc. View Post
    Facts can be hypothetical.

He'll probably be suited as mainly DH with some 1B but I think he can still get some reps at 3B in limited action if we want to keep his bat in the lineup based on our current roster. Could always trade Tellez I guess but he's one of our few LHH and he's perfomed better than vladdy.
    I'd much rather give Biggio reps at 3B before Vlad. Once Groshans and/or Martin come up that'll just be another mouth to feed on that side of the diamond. There's no use in giving Vlad reps at 3B unless the intention is to trade him.

So far his success hasn't translated to the MLB level so there really isn't much of a reason to look for more ways to get his bat into the lineup. Yeah, he got really hot at the end of the regular season but his slash line took a slight hit in all areas aside from SLG% where there was a fair improvement. I'm not saying he should be getting shopped around but lets say AA comes around and offers up 1 of Max Fried, Ian Anderson or Mike Soroka for him. Would you say no?
    Facts can be hypothetical.

Quote Originally Posted by R. Johnson#3 View Post
    I'd much rather give Biggio reps at 3B before Vlad. Once Groshans and/or Martin come up that'll just be another mouth to feed on that side of the diamond. There's no use in giving Vlad reps at 3B unless the intention is to trade him.

So far his success hasn't translated to the MLB level so there really isn't much of a reason to look for more ways to get his bat into the lineup. Yeah, he got really hot at the end of the regular season but his slash line took a slight hit in all areas aside from SLG% where there was a fair improvement. I'm not saying he should be getting shopped around but lets say AA comes around and offers up 1 of Max Fried, Ian Anderson or Mike Soroka for him. Would you say no?
    Vlad's bat should still be given a chance given the potential is there. I think he did well as a DH this year albeit in SSS. I'd prefer Biggio to Vlad over at 3B too obviously but the point to play Vlad at 3B is to allow players to play at DH. If they can DH guys well enough in the games Rowdy or Vlad sits then sure we can keep him at 3B.

I'd consider taking that deal or other deals for a 5-6 year controllable ace but those deals are pretty rare. If we talking Vlad for 2.5 years of an ace then no thanks unless we fix all our other flaws.

“One of the positives is that, with the needs for improvement, they’re so obvious. Defense and strike throwing, to me,” Shapiro said.

So that narrows things down a little since he doesn't mention improving the offense which makes sense, with Tellez's breakout we can afford to start 2021 with the below as our top 6.

biggio
    bo
    vlad
    lgj
    tellez
    Teo

So you’re expecting like a 90 win season next year?
    If we add an impact starter, I absolutely believe we'll be in for at least 90 wins.

Quote Originally Posted by R. Johnson#3 View Post

Nope. If we got an offer for a true #1 starter, I'd trade Vladdy in a minute.

If we can land 2 legit stud sp without trading off the mlb roster, I think we will make the playoffs

Nope. If we got an offer for a true #1 starter, I'd trade Vladdy in a minute.
    It would depend on age and years of control. But I would at least consider it.

Quote Originally Posted by hanton View Post
    There is not one reliable pitcher from your list outside Anderson and Strippling and they aren't very good

The impact pitching on the market is Bauer and then a bunch of what I call Tier 2 guys and that group includes Ray, Walker and Shomaker. Below is a list sorted by Projected WAR. (add Stroman to that list but he ain't coming here). So either they resign Ray, Walker and Shoe or go out and make a significant trade to get an impact starter.

_ well that hardly answered the question... I’ll put my answers next
    Beeston: "we should be able to support a $140-$150 million payroll and that's the direction that we're headed."

Quote Originally Posted by mike_noodles View Post
    It would depend on age and years of control. But I would at least consider it.
    That is the most sensible answer. Vlad is a dh. Say he becomes big papi. Would you trade big papi for a number 1 starter? Of course
    Beeston: "we should be able to support a $140-$150 million payroll and that's the direction that we're headed."