Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 30 of 30 FirstFirst ... 20282930
    Quote Originally Posted by LanceUpperCut View Post
    Well I wouldnt say nothing of value but no were obviously not getting a top end starter or a top spec but I think young MLB ready catchers who are excel defensively and have the ability to be average offensively are pretty valuable. I mean if the article is true and teams are calling asking then theirs interest.

Him packaged with Giles could make a nice return.
    I think thats the key - packaging McGuire with Giles.

I think teams are probably as nervous as I am about Giles volatility and inability to stay healthy/pitch back to back days.

Moving Jansen and relying on McGuire to do something against ML talent that he was never able to do in the minors is moving in the wrong direction imo. Regressing as a team at a major position up the middle.

Quote Originally Posted by R. Johnson#3 View Post
    I guess nothing of value was a bit of an over exaggeration. I believe Jansen holds more value than McGuire though. If they're trading one of the catchers it'll be to improve the team now not later so I have a hard time imagining Giles in any deal. It wouldn't really make sense to deal either of the catchers for prospects at this point in the rebuild.
    Id say Jansen without a doubt holds more value but McGuire is probably seen as a TC, Im sure most teams calling dont expect the Jays to move Jansen but are intrigued in what McGuire did offensively in his short time in the bigs and know hes always been a solid defensive C.
    To me its pretty easy you offer something good or forget it cause a mix of Jansen and McGuire could be really good. With that said if a good offer was made Id do it and then sign a vet for a year like Vogt or Castro for a year.
    I also dont see it as a move that means were going for it either were just trade from a position of strength to fill a position of weakness.

People keep saying that the Yanks have no pitching. I don't think that's true.

First of all, they don't need world class pitching to get to the playoffs with that offence....get Stanton, Judge, LeMahieu, Torres and Andujar healthy all at once and it won't matter much who they throw out there.

Even still, they will have Severino, Paxton and Tanaka forming the top of the rotation along with whoever they sign. All they need to do is sign someone like Wheeler and they will have the best rotation in the east.

The Red Sox are underestimated too. They're not a team that relies on power like the Yanks....even without Martinez and Betts/Bogaertz, they are still going to score a **** load of runs. Their rotation might be older but, after a season with no playoff starts for them, they might be pretty dangerous again. All they really need is a closer to take the division or a wild card spot.

It seems dangerous for the Jays to assume the Yanks and Sox are going to be touchable in 2020

To each their own. The Red Sox are most likely taking a step back this year, Yanks have no pitching and the Rays are unpredictable.

The wildcard is Pearson really. He could potentially be an ace for us or he could struggle. If he comes out dealing then everything changes assuming we go out and sign a couple arms.

The only way this rumor makes any sense is if McGuire is in play and the return is a major league ready prospect.

Would Starling Marte qualify?
    No... cant imagine Ross and Shap give up those years of control, Id imagine theyd be looking for someone similar but a pitcher or a young OF.

The Lost Boys of PSD

McGuire would be a good target for any team with a hole at C.

You know hell be a fine defender and he flashed the potential to at least hit a little.
    Should post a positive WAR.

Quote Originally Posted by LanceUpperCut View Post
    Id say Jansen without a doubt holds more value but McGuire is probably seen as a TC, Im sure most teams calling dont expect the Jays to move Jansen but are intrigued in what McGuire did offensively in his short time in the bigs and know hes always been a solid defensive C.
    To me its pretty easy you offer something good or forget it cause a mix of Jansen and McGuire could be really good. With that said if a good offer was made Id do it and then sign a vet for a year like Vogt or Castro for a year.
    I also dont see it as a move that means were going for it either were just trade from a position of strength to fill a position of weakness.
    I generally agree with what you're saying. I don't think Jansen's bat will ever be anything special so if he could be the centrepiece in a deal for Marte then I'd do it. I feel like a deal with McGuire would have to be accompanied with a solid prospect.
    Quote Originally Posted by ChongInc. View Post
    Facts can be hypothetical.

Quote Originally Posted by hanton View Post
    The only way this rumor makes any sense is if McGuire is in play and the return is a major league ready prospect.
    That would make sense if we add to the deal. I don't think McGuire alone could fetch any "good" MLB ready OF or SP prospects. Maybe a Trent Thornton type?

Quote Originally Posted by mad_mooney View Post
    People keep saying that the Yanks have no pitching. I don't think that's true.

First of all, they don't need world class pitching to get to the playoffs with that offence....get Stanton, Judge, LeMahieu, Torres and Andujar healthy all at once and it won't matter much who they throw out there.

Even still, they will have Severino, Paxton and Tanaka forming the top of the rotation along with whoever they sign. All they need to do is sign someone like Wheeler and they will have the best rotation in the east.

The Red Sox are underestimated too. They're not a team that relies on power like the Yanks....even without Martinez and Betts/Bogaertz, they are still going to score a **** load of runs. Their rotation might be older but, after a season with no playoff starts for them, they might be pretty dangerous again. All they really need is a closer to take the division or a wild card spot.

It seems dangerous for the Jays to assume the Yanks and Sox are going to be touchable in 2020
    Tanaka was pretty trash this past season. He still dominates us every year though. Severino is a stud and Paxton is pretty good. After that there's nothing. Happ is finished and none of their pitching prospects are that special. If they don't sign someone then they'll still make the post season but won't be winning anything.

JD, Betts/Boegarts(one is probably gone) and Devers will still be terrifying. Their offence is still okay after that but it's not unbeatable. I expect Sale to bounce back and E-Rod is decent but after that their rotation is atrocious. Their BP is very similar to ours in the sense that it sucks except our closer is better. If their offence loses either Betts or Boegarts then they're not that much better than us in that department.

On paper neither team is touchable. If we add a couple starters and a bat and the baseball gods help us out a little then who knows? Either way, if pieces are added they'll be for 2020 and beyond. We're about to be trending up for the first time in years.

Well, personally speaking, I don't see a "who knows" scenario in the AL East to be good enough reason to really push forward with f/a signings and trades.

If I were GM, I would be looking for a lot more in terms of consistency from Vlad and Biggio and Teoscar and Lourdes before I really start banking on them being a solid core. They've all had flashes of brilliance but a playoff bound team that can regularly beat the Sox, Yanks and Rays needs more than a couple of bats and starters. It needs dependable, balanced production all over the field and it needs depth...and I just don't think the Jays have that yet.

I mean, they're stepping forward. The Chase Anderson deal shows that they're willing to take on more financial risk in finding starters but he still ultimately is a bounce-back candidate with playoff experience who would be very flippable at the deadline if the Jays aren't in it.

I still feel like they're going to commit the first half of the season to seeing what they have in the starters coming up....Kay, Zeuch, Barucki....then bringing Pearson up at the break.

I also feel like someone like Howie Kendrick might me someone that Shapiro and Atkins would be interested in as opposed to a top tier bad, with his leadership, his positional flexibility. He's coming off a good year and he can fill in all over the infield.

They're just giving off a cautious but hopeful vibe imo right now...not a lets go for it.

Tanaka was pretty trash this past season. He still dominates us every year though. Severino is a stud and Paxton is pretty good. After that there's nothing. Happ is finished and none of their pitching prospects are that special. If they don't sign someone then they'll still make the post season but won't be winning anything.

JD, Betts/Boegarts(one is probably gone) and Devers will still be terrifying. Their offence is still okay after that but it's not unbeatable. I expect Sale to bounce back and E-Rod is decent but after that their rotation is atrocious. Their BP is very similar to ours in the sense that it sucks except our closer is better. If their offence loses either Betts or Boegarts then they're not that much better than us in that department.

On paper neither team is touchable. If we add a couple starters and a bat and the baseball gods help us out a little then who knows? Either way, if pieces are added they'll be for 2020 and beyond. We're about to be trending up for the first time in years.

Well, personally speaking, I don't see a "who knows" scenario in the AL East to be good enough reason to really push forward with f/a signings and trades.

If I were GM, I would be looking for a lot more in terms of consistency from Vlad and Biggio and Teoscar and Lourdes before I really start banking on them being a solid core. They've all had flashes of brilliance but a playoff bound team that can regularly beat the Sox, Yanks and Rays needs more than a couple of bats and starters. It needs dependable, balanced production all over the field and it needs depth...and I just don't think the Jays have that yet.

I mean, they're stepping forward. The Chase Anderson deal shows that they're willing to take on more financial risk in finding starters but he still ultimately is a bounce-back candidate with playoff experience who would be very flippable at the deadline if the Jays aren't in it.

I still feel like they're going to commit the first half of the season to seeing what they have in the starters coming up....Kay, Zeuch, Barucki....then bringing Pearson up at the break.

I also feel like someone like Howie Kendrick might me someone that Shapiro and Atkins would be interested in as opposed to a top tier bad, with his leadership, his positional flexibility. He's coming off a good year and he can fill in all over the infield.

They're just giving off a cautious but hopeful vibe imo right now...not a lets go for it.
    I don't know who started that theory but it is not true.

The players I want them to pick up through FA and trades are for the future though. They can start adding pieces now because the team is finally trending upward. Last year was rock bottom. We literally started last season waiting for players to come up along with a new contract for Grich. It's actually starting to get better now so it makes sense to start adding to this core. Not the usual 1 or 2 year patch jobs we've seen either. They're going to start adding good players. They won't be the top of the FA/Trade candidates but they'll be players that you'd want on your team.

Teoscar is in your core? You left out Bichette too. I'm giving you the benefit of the doubt and assuming that was a mistake. The Jays don't have the pieces to make a playoff run just yet but they have a core now. Something to build around. When it comes to Teoscar I can see him being a piece in a trade possibly.

Howie Kendrick is 36 and the risk of a decline is imminent. It'd be super risky to sign him to anything more than a 1 year deal but yeah, he's an excellent hitter. I just don't see him having much more left in the tank beyond the next 2 years. Signing any 36 year old doesn't make much sense at this point considering we're not ready to contend.

Page 30 of 30 FirstFirst ... 20282930