Like us on Facebook


Follow us on Twitter





Page 307 of 363 FirstFirst ... 207257297305306307308309317357 ... LastLast
Results 4,591 to 4,605 of 5444
  1. #4591
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Rogers Centre
    Posts
    24,727
    Quote Originally Posted by ChongInc. View Post
    Can you please elaborate on this?
    You complained about the Sanchez deal for quite a while
    You complained that Happ should've gotten more up until 2020 despite Justin Vargas (lefty, same age, similar numbers and expiring deal) being dealt for a similar nothing package the year after
    You complained about losing DSJ for nothing (my personal fav)
    Quote Originally Posted by ChongInc. View Post
    Facts can be hypothetical.

  2. #4592
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Rogers Centre
    Posts
    24,727
    Quote Originally Posted by bartron_44 View Post
    Did some people forget how good this team suddenly was after adding Tulo and Price in 2015? Price wasn't pitching every game. Tulo playing a great defensive SS played a big part in their second half dominance. He didn't hit as good as expected, but all they did was win after swapping Reyes out for him. How can you say he wasn't the player they needed?

    Now, did the "all in" gamble of getting Price and Tulo pay off in full, no. If they had gotten true Tulo in 2015 and 2016 they may have to more chips though, so it was worth the gamble.

    They weren't righting that ship in 2017 with an extra 20M. So paying him the last couple years hasnt hurt anything.
    The trades were incredible. The only problem is that they were incredible for half a season at the expense of the foreseeable future.
    Quote Originally Posted by ChongInc. View Post
    Facts can be hypothetical.

  3. #4593
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    7,483
    Quote Originally Posted by R. Johnson#3 View Post
    The trades were incredible. The only problem is that they were incredible for half a season at the expense of the foreseeable future.
    The trades were an all in move. Those are always short term moves that sacrifice the long term. However, I don't think they really cost them much. Hoffman and Norris were the 2 big specs moved, and neither has turned into a TORP 5+ years later.

    The only argument is actually making any go for it type moves woth a team below .500, but they were probably the best team in baseball in the second half. They just came up short in the playoffs. ..two years in a row after not making it for 25 years. Which was a blast to watch as a ling time fan, so I'm totally ok with them trying to win.

  4. #4594
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Posts
    57,975
    Quote Originally Posted by Chaotic98 View Post
    Not after the fact, I wanted no part of Tulo at the time. We went from an old broken down poor d SS, to a slightly younger broken down SS to play on turf with extra years on his contract. Tulo was the last trade he made before the deadline, that was AA saying **** it, I'm not around next year, go big or go bust. It's 2021 and we are still paying for Tulo and he's not been on our team for 3 years.

    Also why I want no part of Arenado, that's going to be a Tulo part 2 contract if any team takes him.
    Yea they call that risk and reward. But to say the logic was bad is pretty unfair. The logic was you were sacrificing future spending and prospects to get the best SS at the time with an injury concern. Not the way you tried to frame it.

  5. #4595
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Posts
    57,975
    Ah wish we coulda had a chance at Taillin. Think we coulda matched that packgae.

  6. #4596
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Rogers Centre
    Posts
    24,727
    Quote Originally Posted by bartron_44 View Post
    The trades were an all in move. Those are always short term moves that sacrifice the long term. However, I don't think they really cost them much. Hoffman and Norris were the 2 big specs moved, and neither has turned into a TORP 5+ years later.

    The only argument is actually making any go for it type moves woth a team below .500, but they were probably the best team in baseball in the second half. They just came up short in the playoffs. ..two years in a row after not making it for 25 years. Which was a blast to watch as a ling time fan, so I'm totally ok with them trying to win.
    Tulo was supposed to be good for more than half a season though. 2 of our top prospects went out in that deal. I make the Price deal 10 times out of 10 but the Tulo deal stings. Yeah Hoffman and Castro have both been meh so far but Tulo legit hamstrung (pun intended) the franchise for years.

    Usually when you deal your teams top prospects away for more than a rental you get superstar return. AA got RA Dickey, Reyes, Buehrle and Tulo lol.

  7. #4597
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Posts
    57,975
    How do you support making 2 of those 3 trades then criticize the return you got lol.

  8. #4598
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Posts
    57,975
    Was there any indication Tulo wouldnt have been the same hitter once he moved over?

  9. #4599
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Posts
    12,635
    Quote Originally Posted by R. Johnson#3 View Post
    You complained about the Sanchez deal for quite a while
    You complained that Happ should've gotten more up until 2020 despite Justin Vargas (lefty, same age, similar numbers and expiring deal) being dealt for a similar nothing package the year after
    You complained about losing DSJ for nothing (my personal fav)
    Lol. Points to 3 moves where we got absolutely nothing in return (poor asset management), as a way to hate on the trades that got us the best baseball we have seen in 30 years... k.

  10. #4600
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    7,483
    Quote Originally Posted by R. Johnson#3 View Post
    Tulo was supposed to be good for more than half a season though. 2 of our top prospects went out in that deal. I make the Price deal 10 times out of 10 but the Tulo deal stings. Yeah Hoffman and Castro have both been meh so far but Tulo legit hamstrung (pun intended) the franchise for years.

    Usually when you deal your teams top prospects away for more than a rental you get superstar return. AA got RA Dickey, Reyes, Buehrle and Tulo lol.
    Well he played 131 games in 2016 and helped them get back to the ALCS a second time. He wasn't all star level good, but he still hit 24 bombs and drove in 74 runs and played great defense. Good enough for a 3.3 WAR. Give him credit, he was good for a year and a half...lol

    The problem was that was still at least 2 years earlier than most expected him to fall off a cliff. The guy was injured a lot, buy he was only 30 when they traded for him for crying out loud. You normally get pretty good production until at least 33 or 34. .. And he was regressing from being MVP level good. His body just couldn't handle it any more unfortunately.

    Also, you cant just brush over the fact that Hoffman and Castro have both been "meh so far". They are 2 arms that didnt turn out to anything of value after 5 years. The jury isn't out anymore, both were specs worth more in a trade than they have been in the big leagues over the last 5 years. I still consider that trade a win despite Tulo still getting paid as I write this..lol Call it luck, or call it good evaluations of your own players. Either way, even 1.5 years grom Tulo was worth it.

  11. #4601
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Rogers Centre
    Posts
    24,727
    Quote Originally Posted by Raps18-19 Champ View Post
    How do you support making 2 of those 3 trades then criticize the return you got lol.
    I supported the Price deal. Which is why none of the players involved in his deal got mentioned. Not sure what you’re talking about?

  12. #4602
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Posts
    57,975
    You also supported the Marlins and Tulo deal.

  13. #4603
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Posts
    57,975
    Quote Originally Posted by bartron_44 View Post
    Well he played 131 games in 2016 and helped them get back to the ALCS a second time. He wasn't all star level good, but he still hit 24 bombs and drove in 74 runs and played great defense. Good enough for a 3.3 WAR. Give him credit, he was good for a year and a half...lol

    The problem was that was still at least 2 years earlier than most expected him to fall off a cliff. The guy was injured a lot, buy he was only 30 when they traded for him for crying out loud. You normally get pretty good production until at least 33 or 34. .. And he was regressing from being MVP level good. His body just couldn't handle it any more unfortunately.

    Also, you cant just brush over the fact that Hoffman and Castro have both been "meh so far". They are 2 arms that didnt turn out to anything of value after 5 years. The jury isn't out anymore, both were specs worth more in a trade than they have been in the big leagues over the last 5 years. I still consider that trade a win despite Tulo still getting paid as I write this..lol Call it luck, or call it good evaluations of your own players. Either way, even 1.5 years grom Tulo was worth it.
    The 2nd paragraph is key here. We all knew Tulo would be **** down the road but no one thought it would happen as early as 2017. There was obviously added risk of his injury history but even when he was healthy, he played bad.

    No different than being worried Springer doesnt live up. I mean hes 30 years old, and has a injury history. We all knew he will be bad in the latter half of those 6 years but we shouldnt expect a massive decline.
    Last edited by Raps18-19 Champ; 01-24-2021 at 07:26 PM.

  14. #4604
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Posts
    12,635
    Quote Originally Posted by Raps18-19 Champ View Post
    You also supported the Marlins and Tulo deal.
    Yeah Reed was one of tulo’s biggest fans when the trade went down.

  15. #4605
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Posts
    57,975
    Quote Originally Posted by ChongInc. View Post
    Yeah Reed was one of tulo’s biggest fans when the trade went down.
    Well we all were.

    We had a JD/Tulo/Martin until at least 2018, JD/JB/Tulo/Martin until at least 2017, and JD/Tulo/Martin/JB/EE until at least 2016.

    In 2017, Jd had injury issues and JB/Tulo aged literally overnight and that was the beginning of the end. Otherwise we looked to be in good position for at least 3-4 years.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •