Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 301 of 362 FirstFirst ... 201251291299300301302303311351 ... LastLast
Results 4,501 to 4,515 of 5422
    Quote Originally Posted by bartron_44 View Post
    Looks like the Mets are still in on Bauer as well as my predicted landing spot for him (Angels). Maybe the Mets wouldn't go above 20x6 because they planned to go after a SP instead?

I hope they do both, but I don't think there is any way they land Bauer now. The theory is the same though. You don't just sign another FA or make trades for player on cheaper contracts...you do both! That is the upside of having both a loaded farm AND money to spend at the same time (..that they worked so hard to get to.). You aren't limited to one route or the other, you can do whatever you want.
    I can see the Angels, and that's probably the odds on favourite spot for him to land but I can't really see the Mets shelling out $30M + a year for Bauer. Granted, they will have to replace 3/5ths of their rotation next year but they have a lot of money already committed next year and rumors are they don't want to go over the luxury tax threshold this year.

That being said, Cohen is a billionaire and a rotation of
    DeGroom
    Bauer
    syndergaard
    Stroman
    Carassco

Is down right filthy

Quote Originally Posted by Kenny Powders View Post
    Why not both?! If.they manage to sign Bauer and trade for Castillo (and Gray), they have to be odds on favourite for the pennant
    You have a point but Iím worried about pulling the trigger too soon based on the ďon paper productĒ. We saw AA make that mistake with the Miami trade. Iíd personally prefer to see how the team looks next season before going all in with the farm.
    Springer didnít fill all the holes on this team. I still donít know what to expect next season. But if we end up needing to add more pieces next offseason to go over the top, that isnít a loss. That would be what Iíve expected this whole time so Iím fine with waiting to trade the specs.

I don't understand this line of thought by some people on here. Teo was fine last year in RF. He probably has better footspeed that Grichuk as well as a better arm. He definitely isn't a player you need to DH. CF was a bit of a stretch for him (..like it was for Grichuk), but he is at least an average defensive RF overall. Which is totally acceptable when you are winning silver slugger awards (or even close).

Tellez is the best defensive 1B on this team, and has actually looked really good there imo. He got unlucky stepping on a mound in Buffalo going after a pop up, but he showed decent footspeed to even try to get to that ball. He came in last year in shape and looking like a beast (as soon as he got rid of that foolish combover he was sporting anyway....lol) , he has good hands, he picks everything in the dirt, he's 6'4 to catch high throws and he's left handed (which is also ideal for a 1B) with a accurate throwing arm. He's not some old or overweight player you need to hide at DH, and he showed last year he isn't a hitter you need to platoon either. He's an everyday 1B and the reason that Vladdy is likely going to end up as a DH.

Right now the Jays have 1 guy that is "best suited" on a major league team as a DH, and his name is Vladdy. Now maybe he comes into ST and proves that statement wrong now that he is in shape....but if his performance in winter league is any indication that likely isn't going to happen. I think he really wants to play 3B, but the more studs they put on this team, the less they can afford to give him time to try and become a passable major league 3B.
    Teo probably is faster and has a stronger arm than Grich. However his reaction time, reads and routes he takes make him a poorer defender. That's the reason Grich had to play CF (we tried Teo in CF and that was worse) because he still managed to cover more ground with less speed. Teo is a career -DRS, which does not make him league ave.

Saying Tellez is our best 1B, is like saying Vladdy is our best 3B. Both are true, but both are also poor defensively. Tellez lacks the range, footspeed and positioning (in comparison to Smoak). With that said, yes he is the best option at 1B of he and Vladdy. I'd be interested to see if Teo/Grich could play 1B better, might help spread out ABs.

All of Teo, Tellez, Vladdy and even Kirk would probably (at this point) be better suited to DH for defensive purposes, however some, more than others, can play a position at a satisfactorily level.

I can only shudder at picturing Vladdy at 3B, Tellez at 1B, Kirk at C and Teo at RF in the playoffs or WS without a DH, but I'd love to see them get that far.

If they were willing to sign Brantley, I wonder if they would still be willing to sign JBJ? He was their supposed back up plan in CF if Springer fell through.....but why not sign them both? I don't think other GM's would see it coming.

They would still need to trade someone (like they would have if they had actually signed Brantley), but then they would then have 2 legit CF's and a left handed bat among their 4 OFs instead of 1 legit CF and 4 right handed batters. They could then trade Hernandez while his value is at its highest for pitching and have one of the best defensive OFs in baseball with Gurriel/JBJ/Springer and Grichuk as the 4th (...who's capable of DHing, filling in against lefties or playing everyday when injury happens in the OF. )

This team really needs pitching....and that could help the OF D get even better than it already is now as well as improve the pitching staff.

Another player out there that would be HUGE for this team is Cesar Hernandez....(the 2020 AL GG winner at 2B). He is a great defensive 2B, but he also has experience playing 3B as well as SS and is a switch hitter (..who hits both LHP and RHP).

2016: .294/.371/.393
    2017: .294/.373/.421
    2018: .253/.356/.362
    2019: .279/.333/.408
    2020: .283/.355/.408

I don't understand this line of thought by some people on here. Teo was fine last year in RF. He probably has better footspeed that Grichuk as well as a better arm. He definitely isn't a player you need to DH. CF was a bit of a stretch for him (..like it was for Grichuk), but he is at least an average defensive RF overall. Which is totally acceptable when you are winning silver slugger awards (or even close).

Tellez is the best defensive 1B on this team, and has actually looked really good there imo. He got unlucky stepping on a mound in Buffalo going after a pop up, but he showed decent footspeed to even try to get to that ball. He came in last year in shape and looking like a beast (as soon as he got rid of that foolish combover he was sporting anyway....lol) , he has good hands, he picks everything in the dirt, he's 6'4 to catch high throws and he's left handed (which is also ideal for a 1B) with a accurate throwing arm. He's not some old or overweight player you need to hide at DH, and he showed last year he isn't a hitter you need to platoon either. He's an everyday 1B and the reason that Vladdy is likely going to end up as a DH.

Right now the Jays have 1 guy that is "best suited" on a major league team as a DH, and his name is Vladdy. Now maybe he comes into ST and proves that statement wrong now that he is in shape....but if his performance in winter league is any indication that likely isn't going to happen. I think he really wants to play 3B, but the more studs they put on this team, the less they can afford to give him time to try and become a passable major league 3B.
    I take Vladdy's offensive performance in Winter Ball with a grain of salt. It was nice to see but he basically tore up AAAA. So far Vladdy has been able to crush everything except MLB pitching. Vladdy first needs to prove he can hit MLB pitching for more than a week or 2 at a time before we go around calling him a DH. If his bat doesn't develop then he's just taking up a roster space.
    Quote Originally Posted by ChongInc. View Post
    Facts can be hypothetical.

Quote Originally Posted by Chaotic98 View Post
    Teo probably is faster and has a stronger arm than Grich. However his reaction time, reads and routes he takes make him a poorer defender. That's the reason Grich had to play CF (we tried Teo in CF and that was worse) because he still managed to cover more ground with less speed. Teo is a career -DRS, which does not make him league ave.

Saying Tellez is our best 1B, is like saying Vladdy is our best 3B. Both are true, but both are also poor defensively. Tellez lacks the range, footspeed and positioning (in comparison to Smoak). With that said, yes he is the best option at 1B of he and Vladdy. I'd be interested to see if Teo/Grich could play 1B better, might help spread out ABs.

All of Teo, Tellez, Vladdy and even Kirk would probably (at this point) be better suited to DH for defensive purposes, however some, more than others, can play a position at a satisfactorily level.

I can only shudder at picturing Vladdy at 3B, Tellez at 1B, Kirk at C and Teo at RF in the playoffs or WS without a DH, but I'd love to see them get that far.
    I do not believe teoís arm is stronger than grichís. .

Quote Originally Posted by R. Johnson#3 View Post
    I take Vladdy's offensive performance in Winter Ball with a grain of salt. It was nice to see but he basically tore up AAAA. So far Vladdy has been able to crush everything except MLB pitching. Vladdy first needs to prove he can hit MLB pitching for more than a week or 2 at a time before we go around calling him a DH. If his bat doesn't develop then he's just taking up a roster space.
    Those multiple 2 week stretches per season are enough for me to believe. Most kids canít do that at his age. He has at least 2 more seasons before I start giving up on him.

The corner infielders are fine where the are Vlady 3b Tellez 1b or dh them. Grichuk and Teo can share RF with Grichuk being the starter and Teo DH'ing.

People are over thinking this. The key was landing Springer, that upgrades both CF and by shifting Grichuk to RF it upgrades the D at position as well. LGJ at least needs to hold his own.

Compared to last season all players will have to up their game on D and that includes Bo but especially Vlady, Grichuk and Teo

Bauer's finalist right now are the Dodgers, Mets, Jays, Angels. Darkhorses: Giants, Braves
    Still too many in on him.

JTR: Philly Darkhorse: Braves

Bass just signed for the Marlins for 2 years. Did a good job here.

Quote Originally Posted by R. Johnson#3 View Post
    His O isn't the problem, it's his D. He seemed to hit better while DHing as opposed to 3B as it seemed playing 3B got caught in his head too much. Same thing happened with EE. He should be fine as a DH 1B in the long run.

You have a point but Iím worried about pulling the trigger too soon based on the ďon paper productĒ. We saw AA make that mistake with the Miami trade. Iíd personally prefer to see how the team looks next season before going all in with the farm.
    Springer didnít fill all the holes on this team. I still donít know what to expect next season. But if we end up needing to add more pieces next offseason to go over the top, that isnít a loss. That would be what Iíve expected this whole time so Iím fine with waiting to trade the specs.
    Fair enough, but if they manage to add Bauer, the actual dollars that they would bring in in a Castillo Gray deal isn't that great, ~15M or so and yes, understand Castillo is Arb2 next year but he's still controllable for the next three years and is a top 10 SP in all of baseball. I'd gladly do a group of a specs that doesn't include Martin.

As for how close this current team is to competing, I think it's closer then most think. Granted, it's on paper and a prediction, but I've read we are projected for the fifth best WAR in all of baseball. That's not a team with a lot of holes.

AA made a mistake? :O

AA made a mistake? :O
    Plenty - especially early on. Rookie GMís make a lot of mistakes as they develop. Iíve never implied AA was perfect or infallible. I just liked his philosophy for the ALE.

Iím still concerned about Atkins. Sure he bid 30mil more than the next team to land springer, but what now? Springer feels more like an ownership development rather than an Atkins development. Atkins didnít **** it up so he gets credit for that. Landing bauer would be big because so many other teams are in on him. That one will take some selling from Atkins.

Think it was the Dickey deal that depleted the farm, not the Miami deal. After Miami, we were already getting praise as an AL East contender and we still had Noah, D'Arnaud, Sanchez and Stroman in the farm.

His O isn't the problem, it's his D. He seemed to hit better while DHing as opposed to 3B as it seemed playing 3B got caught in his head too much. Same thing happened with EE. He should be fine as a DH 1B in the long run.
    His defence is a problem that canít be fixed. His offence has some hope. I agree they need to give him the Edwin treatment. I hope it works out in the long run because so far none of the hype has been justified.