Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 298 of 363 FirstFirst ... 198248288296297298299300308348 ... LastLast
Results 4,456 to 4,470 of 5443
    Quote Originally Posted by pebloemer View Post
    He throws 4 pitches. 2 of them are graded very well (the fastball is the obvious highlight). Most starters rely on their top 2 pitches around 80% of the time and incorporate the 3rd/4th offerings when they start seeing hitters for a 3rd time through the order. Pearson hasn't had to do that, so he hasn't thrown his other pitches much. But most dominant starters don't throw their 3rd/4th pitches often either. It is heavy reliance on fastball/slider while mixing the change and curveball just enough to keep batters guessing.

Last year was an 18 inning sample size on Pearson. I'd lean to the prospect evaluators on this one and give the kid a little time.
    Those 3rd and 4th offerings need to be thrown for strikes and thatís the biggest issue with him. He canít get his curve or change over the plate so he just abandons them. Hitters also arenít ever going to swing at those offerings. Thatís when hitters just sit on his fastball and tee off.

If a starter is going to throw 2 pitches 80% of the time then that pitcher needs to have control along with movement on his pitches. Take Gerrit Cole for example. He fits what youíre talking about on the 80% thing but heís got one of the best fastballs in the league. Pearsonís goes in a straight line and loses some zip when he has to pace himself.

Quote Originally Posted by R. Johnson#3 View Post
    Those 3rd and 4th offerings need to be thrown for strikes and thatís the biggest issue with him. He canít get his curve or change over the plate so he just abandons them. Hitters also arenít ever going to swing at those offerings. Thatís when hitters just sit on his fastball and tee off.

If a starter is going to throw 2 pitches 80% of the time then that pitcher needs to have control along with movement on his pitches. Take Gerrit Cole for example. He fits what youíre talking about on the 80% thing but heís got one of the best fastballs in the league. Pearsonís goes in a straight line and loses some zip when he has to pace himself.
    He also just turned 24 with only 18 innings of MLB action.

Quote Originally Posted by Chaotic98 View Post
    He also just turned 24 with only 18 innings of MLB action.
    And he just started throwing the curve and change a couple years ago. Itís not like these are pitches he threw in college. I guess it all lies on whether or not you believe he can develop a plus 3rd pitch. I obviously donít think he can. He could be a great reliever though

Just have to get 3b settled (Martin?) and SP.
    if they land bauer + walker, then call up Martin this season - they could potentially make some noise this season assuming everything breaks just right.

Would allow us to keep all of our specs to cover injuries and a TDL addition.

Starting off the season hot will go a long way for the young kids.

And he just started throwing the curve and change a couple years ago. Itís not like these are pitches he threw in college. I guess it all lies on whether or not you believe he can develop a plus 3rd pitch. I obviously donít think he can. He could be a great reliever though
    Most established MLB pitchers use Spring Training to test and develop a 3rd-5th pitch. It's not unheard of and not beyond a power pitcher to throw and off speed pitch, the problem lies in them trying to keep their hand/arm action the same as to not tip off the batter during the delivery.

With a proper ST (one that isn't broken down into 2 mini ones) some of these pitchers might surprise.

Quote Originally Posted by ChongInc. View Post
    Just have to get 3b settled (Martin?) and SP.
    if they land bauer + walker, then call up Martin this season - they could potentially make some noise this season assuming everything breaks just right.

Would allow us to keep all of our specs to cover injuries and a TDL addition.

Starting off the season hot will go a long way for the young kids.
    Martin should not touch the MLB roster until at least May of next year. With the potential of this roster we do not have time to groom him at the MLB roster and would be fighting for at bats if he showed any signs of struggling. Let him stay in AAA figuring out his best defensive positions and actually see minor league pitchers, not jump directly from college to the MLB.

Quote Originally Posted by Chaotic98 View Post
    Martin should not touch the MLB roster until at least May of next year. With the potential of this roster we do not have time to groom him at the MLB roster and would be fighting for at bats if he showed any signs of struggling. Let him stay in AAA figuring out his best defensive positions and actually see minor league pitchers, not jump directly from college to the MLB.
    I donít think we have a better chance at winning this season without a 3b. Imo better to bring him along than play someone who doesnít belong there.

I agree itís in his best interest to keep him down, but not the jays best interest unless we make a move for a 3b.

I can't see us opening 2021 with the current rotation. Go and get Bauer, makes so much sense after Springer and possibly Brantley - the Brantley thing was interesting ...Mae has some explaining to do, anyone hear anything?

Brantley may be going back to Astros. Thats rough lol. I woulda paid $45 mil/3 years for him

Brantley thing sucks. But that's ok. Let's focus on our needs. Get some pitching help. I hear Jays are still on Hand. Hand-Yates would be an amazing tandem.

I was never about that Brantley life so nbd for me. Gives grich one more opportunity to emerge.

Kolten Wong remains an interesting complimentary piece. GG at 2B, high OBP, good speed on the base paths, lefty bat.

But SP still needs to be the priority

I agree with location comment. He has some development to do still, it just seems way premature to me to pencil him up in as a reliever.

His fastball is 80 grade by professional talent evaluators. It is more than simply heat. I donít think we saw what Pearson was fully capable of last year.

We can agree to disagree, but Iím firmly in the camp that believes we keep him starting.

Quote Originally Posted by pebloemer View Post
    Kolten Wong remains an interesting complimentary piece. GG at 2B, high OBP, good speed on the base paths, lefty bat.

But SP still needs to be the priority
    -If we had money for Brantley, Iíd think we could do Walker and wong. The killer Wís

Walker, wong and hand and Iíd be pretty pumped

Quote Originally Posted by wamco View Post
    -If we had money for Brantley, Iíd think we could do Walker and wong. The killer Wís

Walker, wong and hand and Iíd be pretty pumped
    The walking hand Wong. Love it.