Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 32 of 67 FirstFirst ... 22303132333442 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by statquo View Post
    Apparently weíve met with Grandal. Thatís interesting.
    That definitely changes things.

so they found a trading partner needing a good young catcher that would possibly net us a starting outfielder or maybe an SP? I gotta see this

Quote Originally Posted by hanton View Post
    so they found a trading partner needing a good young catcher that would possibly net us a starting outfielder or maybe an SP? I gotta see this
    If they sign grandal then they could trade both of the catchers.

Quote Originally Posted by ChongInc. View Post
    If they sign grandal then they could trade both of the catchers.
    Why? Either one would be suitable to play 50-60 games behind Grandal. Grandal could even DH some games on this team.
    Quote Originally Posted by ChongInc. View Post
    Facts can be hypothetical.

Quote Originally Posted by R. Johnson#3 View Post
    Why? Either one would be suitable to play 50-60 games behind Grandal. Grandal could even DH some games on this team.
    It is the only way that trade makes sense, trade Jansen for an outfielder or starting pitcher and sign Grandal to be the starting catcher. I would lean towards not doing this deal and I doubt Grandal would sign here anyway.

It is the only way that trade makes sense, trade Jansen for an outfielder or starting pitcher and sign Grandal to be the starting catcher. I would lean towards not doing this deal and I doubt Grandal would sign here anyway.
    He said trade both, not just one. Iím all on board for trading one of them whether we sign Grandal or not. I even pitched the idea before the rumours started.

Trading both would be a mistake though. Keeping either of them would be the right call and preferably itís McGuire. Jansen could fetch a larger return then which ever one stays would be the backup. This kind of reminds me of when AA signed Martin. We didnít need a catcher that badly because we had Dionner but it ended up paying some big dividends right away.

Atkins said he wants a starting pitcher for either of the catchers. Hopefully heíd take a solid OF though. Imagine Grandal and Marte being added to this lineup.

Unless they are willing to hand the team to McGuire after 100 AB's of solid production, then Grandal makes a TONNE of sense for this team. It makes trading one (or more) of the catchers on their current depth chart even more palatable too if they lock an offensive catcher like Grandal up long term, and he also has the ability to play some 1B. Not to mention he's a guy who's been to the playoffs the last 5 years with LA and Milwaukee. I could see a contract similar to the one they gave Russell Martin to come here. Maybe even a 5yr/$100M deal since he's a year younger than Martin was.

Quote Originally Posted by bartron_44 View Post
    Unless they are willing to hand the team to McGuire after 100 AB's of solid production, then Grandal makes a TONNE of sense for this team. It makes trading one (or more) of the catchers on their current depth chart even more palatable too if they lock an offensive catcher like Grandal up long term, and he also has the ability to play some 1B. Not to mention he's a guy who's been to the playoffs the last 5 years with LA and Milwaukee. I could see a contract similar to the one they gave Russell Martin to come here. Maybe even a 5yr/$100M deal since he's a year younger than Martin was.
    Iíd be reluctant to hand out 5 years to a catcher north of 30 based on what happened with Martin. Grandal is better offensively but still. I wouldnít completely close the book on a 5 year deal but ideally 3 or 4 would be better.

Meh. If the return on the trades is a good young CF with upside and a good young pitcher with upside then I would be fine having grandal back there and maile backing him up.

Grandal would be a full timer and paid like one.
    Maybe maile can latch on as a personal catcher for a couple of the guys and you can give grandal some DH/1B abs.

Rosenthal is saying Odorizzi is seriously considering accepting the Twins qualifying offer.

The Lost Boys of PSD

Quote Originally Posted by statquo View Post
    Rosenthal is saying Odorizzi is seriously considering accepting the Twins qualifying offer.
    Throw him an offer for 1m more than the QO with a player option?

I dunno. Iím not likening the idea of giving up a pick still. We arenít there.

Iíd be reluctant to hand out 5 years to a catcher north of 30 based on what happened with Martin. Grandal is better offensively but still. I wouldnít completely close the book on a 5 year deal but ideally 3 or 4 would be better.
    Of course 3 or 4 would be better...but I don't think that would get it done. Maybe though. The market has changed quite a bit since Martin got his deal.

I say 5 because he has already shown the ability to play 1B, and his bat could play well enough to let him DH too. I think they look at him drawing 109 BB's, and hitting left handed against RHP and say "we could sure use a player like that in our lineup".

I still highly doubt it happens with the internal combo they already have groomed and ready to go with the rest of the young core, but just the fact that the Jays are talking to guys like Grandal, Odorizzi and Scott Boras shows they are actually exploring all options out there this off season. It doesn't look like they are going to care if draft picks are attached to players they like, and if that is the case this team could get a whole lot better this off season. Guys like Ozuna, Odorizzi and Grandal may not be Gerrit Cole, but guys like that could still really improve this ball club. If they throw caution to the wind and nab 2 or 3 or those guys and all of the sudden the win total should look drastically different from this year.

So Atkins gets some credit for setting up the books this way yeah?

Not only that. I think that is the only way the rebuild will work at this point. Sign the free agent and then try and turn the displaced spec into another position player and then pray the spec doesn't turn into a league superstar. And if the had to deal both catchers, how bad do you think it would be with LM as the backup (not that I agree with trading both)?

Page 32 of 67 FirstFirst ... 22303132333442 ... LastLast