Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by runnermjr1296 View Post
    Well what do you think is out there for that kind of money? I think they did it for relief for future moves,example,, something comes up that there was no way they could have done this before the move. I'd like to see them hold onto to the 3.25 Mill,kinda like money in the bank
    We needed that money to have cap flexibility moving forward and it opens up a roster spot.
    a) Could use it to call players up without jeopardizing the current roster
    b) Could use it to sign Kreider to an extension
    c) Could use it to sign our pending RFA and UFA to long-term deals (most likely)

MICHIGAN WOLVERINES

St. Louis Cardinals:
    1926 • 1931 • 1934 • 1942 • 1944 • 1946 • 1964 • 1967 • 1982 • 2006 • 2011
    New York Rangers:
    1927–28 • 1932–33 • 1939–40 • 1993–94
    New York Knicks
    :
    1970 • 1973
    New York Giants:
    1986 • 1990 • 2007 • 2011

"Be more concerned with your character than your reputation, because your character is what you really are, while your reputation is merely what others think you are."

The thing about using the extra cap space for extensions is that they wouldn’t affect this year’s cap, and Namestnikov’s contract would come off the books after this season even if he somehow survived the trade deadline.

One thing to consider is how performance related bonuses of our young players affect the cap for this year and/or next.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The second line center position is a problem. Strome has been given the #2 Center position and has taken some bad penalties. While it's early, he hasn't gotten any production WHEN he's alongside Kakko and Kreider.

Brett Howden has been the third line Center. That's where he lives. That's where he should be, alongside Lemieux and Fast. In just two games, he's won all but two of his face offs (7 for 9) and had the game winner in Game 1.

Lias Andersson and Smith are part of the 4th line and they've played well especially with Smith but this is going to take some time to develop. That's why they're behind Howden's line.

As far as Namestnkov, I feel vindicated. Casual hockey fans around New York still seem to think this guy is going to produce like he did in Tampa. He's not. He's a product of Tampa's awesome talent scoring pool. Rangers knew he's an UFA at the end of the season. Gorton said, he's been trying to move his $4M. And no, I don't see the Rangers spending/filling that cap space...YET. It does make me wonder two things:
    1. Are the Rangers going to re-sign Kreider? This cap space can give the wiggle room to give him a little more. Depends how his season goes.

2. The Mcdonagh deal: With Namestnkov out, it comes down to Howden and Lundkvist for the guy that the Rangers had a steal of a contract $5.5M/season and finished runner up in Plus/minus and almost won by 2 pts.

Like Beast said Namestnikovs contract has nothing to do with contract extensions since his contract ends at seasons end. But like what was also said earlier is could be for cap flexibility—should someone become available.

As far as Kreider goes, last I heard his agent was said the Rangers have not approached him about a contract extension AT ALL.

There has been rumors that there are several teams talking to Brain Boyle—NO team has been mentioned specifically but should we want to go with more conventional lines or Quinn & Gorton are serious about giving playing time to the young guys then Boyle for the 4th line would make more sense than Andersson.

October 2019 Schedule & Discussion Thread

Further clarification on the performance bonus topic. If a player is awarded a performance bonus, that amount is added to this year’s cap. Whatever amount the team goes over the cap due to these bonuses gets rolled into next years cap number. Kakko has potentially a $2.65M bonus. Lias and Fox have $850 each, and guys like Kravtsov, Chytil, and pretty much all of our minor league defensemen have bonuses they could potentially hit if called up for an extended period of time. Shesterkin has a big one too ($2.85M), but I would imagine he has a steep hill to climb to collect on that.

So trading Namestnikov affords us some cap flexibility and the more prorated space we bank over the course of the season, the more we can take advantage of it at the deadline. As for the return, a fourth round pick is certainly underwhelming, but if it makes you all feel better, just think of it as the 32nd pick of the third round, and hopefully we can turn it into a net positive later.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Love the fact that you explained it for us. So now we know this money is ear marked for our current roster players—we may even need to clear some more salary to cover ALL bonuses, so we will definitely need to move someone else.

We just need to figure out our best lineups.

On a side note: if you follow Alex Nunn on Twitter you’ll be happy to see how well our prospects/draft picks are doing. And Lundkist and Hendrickson are killing it.

Anyone worried about Strome as the 2c shouldn't, that isnt the plan. The plan is for Chytil to be the 2c and Strome either traded or taking Namestnicov's spot on the 3rd line wing. I expect Chytil before the end of the month.

Edmonton has been a buzz saw carving up the Isles and beating Joisey in OT. Worried. Rangers have been off for a week. Oilers look ready to finish off their road trip at the Garden.

That 2nd period was ugly

The third period was the worst.

Basically, the Rangers' defensemen got caught cherry picking in the second, leading to many odd man rushes. It was a miracle that the score was 1-1.

The third was when fatigue and frustration set in. Edmonton's size started to take its toll on the Rangers who couldn't find an answer. Once the top line of the Rangers was shutdown, the other lines couldn't answer after Kakko's 1st NHL goal.

Rangers Three Stars:
    1. Kakko: Beauty with the quick hands and forcing the goalie to commit.
    2. Panarin: Didn't get any scores but he was always on the attack. His speed is lethal.
    3. Lundqvist: Kept the team in the game for 2.5 periods of play.

Concerned with Kreider who hasn't brought anything to the table.

Right now we are a one line team, and imo that line shouldn't have to shadow the other top line otherwise we will never score. Maybe if Chytil is ready he could add something to our scoring but as it is we need Kreider, Kakko and Strome to score more if they arent drawing the hard matchups

I agree, Kreider hasn’t shown anything—seems to be just skating around and not doing enough. Maybe he’s just sulking because he hasn't’ gotten a contract extension. Either way I think we’ll deal him and Kravtsov becomes our 2nd line LW—he played RW in the KHL, we have him playing LW in Hartford.

Chytil got his 3rd assist and his 1st goal of the season ( it was an empty netter at the end of the game tho’)today, in 4 pts in 3 gms.

Question: What do you guys think Andersson ? Because I think he deserves more ice time than what he’s getting.
    Last edited by Mr.Wiskers; 10-13-2019 at 10:20 AM.

Definitely Andersson deserves more ice time.

Chytil with his 2nd goal of the season.
    Kravtsov with his 1st pt of the season, an assist on a Nieves goal.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast