Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 9 of 334 FirstFirst ... 78910111959109 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by CP_414 View Post
    What changes did we want last offseason, knowing they had basically no new money to spend, Contreras and Schwarber were coming off disappointing offensive seasons and KB was coming off a major injury that killed his performance?

What were they going to do with no new money to spend and nobody valuable to trade?
    The change most people wanted last year was Harper. If we signed Harper people would have probably been upset about that too because he strikes out a lot and has a low BA.

Quote Originally Posted by ILMindState View Post
    Theo got us into this mess but I think he's earned the right to try and fix it. I'm just curious for those who want Theo fired, what would be your solution to replace Theo? Firing Theo would most likely end up being a long term rebuild. That would mean bringing in a whole new baseball operations. Do you really want to wait another 5 years to be competitive again?
    I'm not saying I want Theo fired. I'm just pushing back on this idea that to date he's been some super accountable guy when he's stuck with the same front office and refused to trade "his" players. He talks a big game about how it's all on him but he hasn't shown the willingness yet to make dramatic changes when it's clear his approach is outdated.

Realistically he can't be fired due to his contract and I wouldn't want him fired either. I've just really cooled on what my opinion of him going forward is.

Quote Originally Posted by thawv View Post
    They are pretty close. Big differences are an extra year of control, and a 14 million dollar savings. Those are actually monumental differences. Especially with our money issues.

Turner is younger, cheaper, controlled longer, faster, better hard it rate, better exit velo, steals bases, and plays a premium position. Come to think of it, I'm almost certain that the Cubs would have to add to the deal.

The wildcard here is Kieboom. Is he their SS, or second baseman?
    Turner WAR of 2.4 OPS+ of 113
    Bryant WAR of 3.6 OPS+ of 130

Bryant is the better player, no matter how you want to spin it. They are pretty evenly ranked when discussing trade value. Turner is good for the Cubs because of money. All things being equal Bryant is the better ballplayer. Not interested in adding anything, nor do they need to.

What changes did we want last offseason, knowing they had basically no new money to spend, Contreras and Schwarber were coming off disappointing offensive seasons and KB was coming off a major injury that killed his performance?

What were they going to do with no new money to spend and nobody valuable to trade?
    I'm not sure what changes I would have made but I'm pushing back on the idea that we only just realized this season that the team has issues, because it was obvious to many of us last season.

Quote Originally Posted by ILMindState View Post
    The change most people wanted last year was Harper. If we signed Harper people would have probably been upset about that too because he strikes out a lot and has a low BA.
    I wanted Harper. I still wish they had Harper. But obviously that wasnít something this FO decided against. It wasnít possible.

Quote Originally Posted by TheRealTI View Post
    I'm not saying I want Theo fired. I'm just pushing back on this idea that to date he's been some super accountable guy when he's stuck with the same front office and refused to trade "his" players. He talks a big game about how it's all on him but he hasn't shown the willingness yet to make dramatic changes when it's clear his approach is outdated.

Realistically he can't be fired due to his contract and I wouldn't want him fired either. I've just really cooled on what my opinion of him going forward is.
    I didn't mean to call you out specifically. I know there are people here who have called for his firing and I'm generally curious to hear what their solution would be if he did get fired.

I'm not sure what changes I would have made but I'm pushing back on the idea that we only just realized this season that the team has issues, because it was obvious to many of us last season.
    I think it was fully realized last year by Theo. He was pretty clear at the end of season press conference a year ago. They just werenít in position to do anything about it. They couldnít spend and would have had to sell low if they were trading a key player unless people wanted Javy traded last winter, but I didnít hear anyone advocating for that a year ago.

I told myself I wasn't going to watch the playoffs last week when I was pissed about the Cubs but I already miss baseball. I'll be watching and rooting for the Nationals tonight.

I think it was fully realized last year by Theo. He was pretty clear at the end of season press conference a year ago. They just werenít in position to do anything about it. They couldnít spend and would have had to sell low if they were trading a key player unless people wanted Javy traded last winter, but I didnít hear anyone advocating for that a year ago.
    I think Theo would have liked to make some changes. But when he went out to talk trade he found out his players were not valued to the level he thought they should be. So he could either trade low on guys or keep the guys and hope for a better season. Basically, as far as I am concerned he took the best of two evils. As flawed as this team was, they were in the chase until mid September. A completion of a good home stand, and they would have been playing today. I know they are flawed, but it is not like they are some terrible team that Theo ruined since the WS.

Quote Originally Posted by rcal10 View Post
    I think Theo would have liked to make some changes. But when he went out to talk trade he found out his players were not valued to the level he thought they should be. So he could either trade low on guys or keep the guys and hope for a better season. Basically, as far as I am concerned he took the best of two evils. As flawed as this team was, they were in the chase until mid September. A completion of a good home stand, and they would have been playing today. I know they are flawed, but it is not like they are some terrible team that Theo ruined since the WS.
    Right. I get people are upset, and I agree some change is needed now, but if you think big changes should have been made a year ago say what they are. What could they have done last winter knowing they had no money to add and knowing most of their core was coming off a bad or injured season? Unless you wanted to sell really low they were stuck with the same group so they tried to do everything they could to get better performance out of these players.

This winter they should have some money available and all the core hitters are coming off good years. They should have more options than they had a year ago.

Yet we haven't really seen any significant changes to the front office, although there are rumored to be ones this coming off-season. It's been obvious for years they are really below league average at developing pitching. Sure they created the pitch lab but that's basically standard. From what Brendan Miller mentioned over the past couple weeks, their pitching development system is still a mess. Why wait another year to fix that when it's obviously been a problem for a long time.

Same thing with the hitting development. Last year it became obvious we had contact problems and nothign was done to fix it other than another new hitting coach and Joe doing some new drills in spring training.

Not good enough. I'm not even really talking about the roster entirely, I'm talking about our player development at all levels of the organization. These are problems that have existed for years and have not been fixed.

Quote Originally Posted by CubsRule08 View Post
    White Sox TV broadcaster (and former Cubs TV broadcaster) Steve Stone seems to be endorsing Joe Girardi for being the next Cubs manager.
    Steve Stone can kiss my ***. He has shown that he doesn't give 2 ****s about what is best for the Cubs.

2019 - 2020 Off Season Thread

Yet we haven't really seen any significant changes to the front office, although there are rumored to be ones this coming off-season. It's been obvious for years they are really below league average at developing pitching. Sure they created the pitch lab but that's basically standard. From what Brendan Miller mentioned over the past couple weeks, their pitching development system is still a mess. Why wait another year to fix that when it's obviously been a problem for a long time.

Same thing with the hitting development. Last year it became obvious we had contact problems and nothign was done to fix it other than another new hitting coach and Joe doing some new drills in spring training.

Not good enough. I'm not even really talking about the roster entirely, I'm talking about our player development at all levels of the organization. These are problems that have existed for years and have not been fixed.
    But those were significant changes. They did launch the lab and put Sagara in charge and it developed results with Ryan, Wick, and Wieck at the big league level and others on the minor league side. They are switching farm directors and bringing in new directors of hitting and pitching (probably Boddy). Those are all changes within the last year.

They brought in hitters with high contact rates, but when you are on a budget of nothing those contact hitters you can afford are guys like Descalso and Kemp.

The biggest player development failure has been at the big league level. They have produced a ton of talent from the farm system that is showing here and elsewhere. They switched coaching staffs last year other than Joe.

I see a lot of complaining and not a lot of solutions.
    Last edited by CP_414; 10-01-2019 at 02:29 PM.

But those were significant changes. They did launch the lab and put Safari in charge and it developed results with Ryan, Wick, and Wieck at the big league level and others on the minor league side. They are switching farm directors and bringing in new directors of hitting and pitching (probably Boddy). Those are all changes within the last year.

They brought in hitters with high contact rates, but when you are on a budget of nothing those contact hitters you can afford are guys like Descalso and Kemp.

The biggest player development failure has been at the big league level. They have produced a ton of talent from the farm system that is showing here and elsewhere. They switched coaching staffs last year other than Joe.

I see a lot of complaining and not a lot of solutions.
    Don't forget about Happ. They held him down to work on his hitting style. It seems to have done him some good. And that is just Happ. We know about him because he is a major league player. We might not be aware of others they did the same thing with, reworking their approach and swing.

Right. I get people are upset, and I agree some change is needed now, but if you think big changes should have been made a year ago say what they are. What could they have done last winter knowing they had no money to add and knowing most of their core was coming off a bad or injured season? Unless you wanted to sell really low they were stuck with the same group so they tried to do everything they could to get better performance out of these players.

This winter they should have some money available and all the core hitters are coming off good years. They should have more options than they had a year ago.
    At the very least this off season should be more enjoyable than last. There will be trades, and impactful ones. I don't see the Cubs signing a Rendon/Cole package but they will have enough money to upgrade the bullpen with more than Brad Brach. They will also have a few holes to fill in the rotation and at center field/second base, which if yesterday's press conference was any indication, they are well aware of that and plan to upgrade. I have no clue who they will sign but I hope Castellanos is on the list and Almora/Russell are not.

I also believe Kimbrel will be better next year. Small sample size but the "middle of the year free agent pitchers" have not fared well.

Page 9 of 334 FirstFirst ... 78910111959109 ... LastLast