Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 8 of 334 FirstFirst ... 6789101858108 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by thawv View Post
    I just can't stop thinking about the idea of trading KB for Turner. I realize that it's not very likely at all, seeing that Kieboom will probably play 2B, but a guy can dream.

The thought of Javi at 3B, Turner at SS, and Nico at 2B really gets me excited. Plus it would save about 14 million, and gain an extra year of control with Turner.

I don't see any way Washington would even consider this. But it does make sense for both teams if they want Kieboom to be their SS.
    I think you are undervaluing KB a bit. As I said, Turner and KB are pretty close in terms of trade value.

What about Betts and Vazquez for Bryant, Contreras, Alzolay?

Quote Originally Posted by CubsRule08 View Post
    White Sox TV broadcaster (and former Cubs TV broadcaster) Steve Stone seems to be endorsing Joe Girardi for being the next Cubs manager.
    Iím sure thatíll sway Theo.

Quote Originally Posted by rcal10 View Post
    I think you are undervaluing KB a bit. As I said, Turner and KB are pretty close in terms of trade value.
    They are pretty close. Big differences are an extra year of control, and a 14 million dollar savings. Those are actually monumental differences. Especially with our money issues.

Turner is younger, cheaper, controlled longer, faster, better hard it rate, better exit velo, steals bases, and plays a premium position. Come to think of it, I'm almost certain that the Cubs would have to add to the deal.

The wildcard here is Kieboom. Is he their SS, or second baseman?

Quote Originally Posted by Stratos View Post
    Sounded to me like he was trying to use the "we had the 2nd highest payroll in the MLB" line as a way to call himself out for not doing as good of a job as he should have. One thing I like about Theo is that he's always been accountable and willing to say when he hasn't performed to expectations.

Maddon never did that, he always said things like "we did some good things tonight, it just didn't work out". I admire he always wanted to stay positive but it's nice to hear someone call a spade a spade and admit when mistakes were made. Maddon always defended his players and his own moves. Theo did his best to admit different areas Maddon was lacking without totally throwing him under the bus. If your feelings are hurt when someone else calls you out for screwing up you need to toughen up fast & learn to be accountable.
    He hasn't really done anything to hold himself accountable though. He's in a front office surrounded by his friends and it's clear there is a major problem with player development and yet, to date, he's done nothing but give one of his friends a different Senior VP position. Sure he talks about being accountable and admits to mistakes but that is different than actually being accountable and making changes to his front office. He better this off-season.

They also have different roles. Joe can't go out there and blast his players after every game, it's not good for morale.

Quote Originally Posted by CubsRule08 View Post
    White Sox TV broadcaster (and former Cubs TV broadcaster) Steve Stone seems to be endorsing Joe Girardi for being the next Cubs manager.
    Steve Stone is ***

Quote Originally Posted by TheRealTI View Post
    He hasn't really done anything to hold himself accountable though. He's in a front office surrounded by his friends and it's clear there is a major problem with player development and yet, to date, he's done nothing but give one of his friends a different Senior VP position. Sure he talks about being accountable and admits to mistakes but that is different than actually being accountable and making changes to his front office. He better this off-season.

They also have different roles. Joe can't go out there and blast his players after every game, it's not good for morale.
    They've embraced new technologies and have changed up their criteria for evaluation. It hasn't been sufficient yet (which is why they're hiring a director of pitching and a director of hitting), but it's had some successes, at least close to the big league level and with a handful of lower level prospects. I agree that Theo has generally been mostly talk on the accountability front. Thing is that it hasn't seemed like the organization was at a true crossroads until now. Regardless, the time to make big outside hires and embolden them in their roles was a couple of years ago, at least. He better do so now.

Quote Originally Posted by PeanutPunch33 View Post
    Is Vazquez a huge upgrade over caratini? I would like betta and benintendi personally but thatís a very tall order lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by PeanutPunch33 View Post
    2 years of KB, 3 years of Contreras, 6 years of Alzolay for 1 year of Betts? No thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by NoChiInChamp View Post
    They've embraced new technologies and have changed up their criteria for evaluation. It hasn't been sufficient yet (which is why they're hiring a director of pitching and a director of hitting), but it's had some successes, at least close to the big league level and with a handful of lower level prospects. I agree that Theo has generally been mostly talk on the accountability front. Thing is that it hasn't seemed like the organization was at a true crossroads until now. Regardless, the time to make big outside hires and embolden them in their roles was a couple of years ago, at least. He better do so now.
    A lot of the stuff they did this past year have been done by many, many other organizations for YEARS. The best teams have had pitch "labs" for a long time now. This is just the Cubs catching up to where teams were a few years ago. I'm not going to give them massive amounts of credit for that.

They were at a real crossroads last year. Sure they won many more games last year and we're closer to success but the exact same problems with our offense were there and our rotation was just getting older. Mr. "Accountable" and the others in the front office just sat on their hands for a year and wasted 2019.

Quote Originally Posted by TheRealTI View Post
    A lot of the stuff they did this past year have been done by many, many other organizations for YEARS. The best teams have had pitch "labs" for a long time now. This is just the Cubs catching up to where teams were a few years ago. I'm not going to give them massive amounts of credit for that.

They were at a real crossroads last year. Sure they won many more games last year and we're closer to success but the exact same problems with our offense were there and our rotation was just getting older. Mr. "Accountable" and the others in the front office just sat on their hands for a year and wasted 2019.
    Looking at from a wider lens, winning 95 last year was probably a little flukey and ultimately a negative because they added nothing in the offseason. Brought the band back for one more tour. Well they added Descalso, which probably grades out as less than nothing. Theyíre at the very least a year behind in making necessary,real changes of any kind.

Quote Originally Posted by NoChiInChamp View Post
    Theo got us into this mess but I think he's earned the right to try and fix it. I'm just curious for those who want Theo fired, what would be your solution to replace Theo? Firing Theo would most likely end up being a long term rebuild. That would mean bringing in a whole new baseball operations. Do you really want to wait another 5 years to be competitive again?

What changes did we want last offseason, knowing they had basically no new money to spend, Contreras and Schwarber were coming off disappointing offensive seasons and KB was coming off a major injury that killed his performance?

What were they going to do with no new money to spend and nobody valuable to trade?

Quote Originally Posted by ILMindState View Post
    Theo got us into this mess but I think he's earned the right to try and fix it. I'm just curious for those who want Theo fired, what would be your solution to replace Theo? Firing Theo would most likely end up being a long term rebuild. That would mean bringing in a whole new baseball operations. Do you really want to wait another 5 years to be competitive again?
    He has earned that right. But he only has two years left on his deal. Which leads me to believe the short term plans he has discussed hold more water than any long term stuff he talks about. Which is fine by me.
    Last edited by Cubboy; 10-01-2019 at 01:48 PM.

2019 - 2020 Off Season Thread

Quote Originally Posted by thawv View Post
    I just can't stop thinking about the idea of trading KB for Turner. I realize that it's not very likely at all, seeing that Kieboom will probably play 2B, but a guy can dream.

The thought of Javi at 3B, Turner at SS, and Nico at 2B really gets me excited. Plus it would save about 14 million, and gain an extra year of control with Turner.

I don't see any way Washington would even consider this. But it does make sense for both teams if they want Kieboom to be their SS.
    What if Washington said KB + Happ for Turner + Filler (low level prospect)

Would you do that?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Page 8 of 334 FirstFirst ... 6789101858108 ... LastLast