Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 7 of 334 FirstFirst ... 567891757107 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by CP_414 View Post
    When I read the quotes earlier about payroll, I assumed the same thing that a handful of people here did that Theo was preparing us for a drop in payroll and maybe a reset under the CBT. Having had a chance to go back and listen to it, he was pushing back against an assumption by the reporter that they’ll be under the CBT this year. He wouldn’t say either way, but hearing the context of the question he responded to made me feel a lot better about that answer.
    Sounded to me like he was trying to use the "we had the 2nd highest payroll in the MLB" line as a way to call himself out for not doing as good of a job as he should have. One thing I like about Theo is that he's always been accountable and willing to say when he hasn't performed to expectations.

Maddon never did that, he always said things like "we did some good things tonight, it just didn't work out". I admire he always wanted to stay positive but it's nice to hear someone call a spade a spade and admit when mistakes were made. Maddon always defended his players and his own moves. Theo did his best to admit different areas Maddon was lacking without totally throwing him under the bus. If your feelings are hurt when someone else calls you out for screwing up you need to toughen up fast & learn to be accountable.

I think it was pretty clear that Theo has a different opinion of a managers responsibility than Joe did. But still appreciated what Joe brought to the table. He kept saying this isn’t about Joe then he would say something that Joe would/didn’t do and how he feels it should’ve been done.

Pretty sure Theo could run for office with that tongue

This got me really interested in Josh Bard. https://blogs.fangraphs.com/the-mana...ation-of-data/

2019 - 2020 Off Season Thread

Quote Originally Posted by Stratos View Post
    Sounded to me like he was trying to use the "we had the 2nd highest payroll in the MLB" line as a way to call himself out for not doing as good of a job as he should have. One thing I like about Theo is that he's always been accountable and willing to say when he hasn't performed to expectations.
    Yes, this part was accepting accountability but it was also deflecting blame away from his bosses and onto himself. It’s what good leaders do.

Later, he was asked a question where the the reporter said “I assume you won’t go past the CBT line again in 2020.” This is where Theo said he wasn’t going to talk about it, but he wouldn’t make any assumptions, complimented ownership and emphasized the plan is to win in 2020 and beyond. It seems like a lot of people heard that answer to mean payroll is going down, but I don’t necessarily think that is true. Maybe it is, maybe not.
    Last edited by CP_414; 10-01-2019 at 08:24 AM.

Yes, this part was accepting accountability but it was also deflecting blame away from his bosses and onto himself. It’s what good leaders do.

Separately, he was asked a question where the the reporter said “I assume you won’t go past the CBT line again in 2020.” This is where Theo said he wasn’t going to talk about it, but he wouldn’t make any assumptions, complimented ownership and emphasized the plan is to win in 2020 and beyond.” It seems like a lot of people years that answer to mean payroll is going down, but I don’t necessarily think that is true. Maybe it is, maybe not.
    When taken in context with Theo's comments about building the next great Cubs team (which may mean trading guys who have not insignificant arb numbers) and the reality that they're right up against the CBT as-is, I think there's more support for the idea that payroll is going down than not.

My best guess is they go the route of targeting pre-arb big leaguers who may have average-ish production but they see potential for growth in or less-heralded upper minors prospects with good numbers in trades.

Quote Originally Posted by NoChiInChamp View Post
    When taken in context with Theo's comments about building the next great Cubs team (which may mean trading guys who have not insignificant arb numbers) and the reality that they're right up against the CBT as-is, I think there's more support for the idea that payroll is going down than not.

My best guess is they go the route of targeting pre-arb big leaguers who may have average-ish production but they see potential for growth in or less-heralded upper minors prospects with good numbers in trades.
    I think the plan is to acquire as much young pitching as they can and that they are willing to break up the core to do it, but the question will be if they offset those moves with free agent spending. To get under the CBT they’d have to basically not spend anything. They are right around the CBT line now if we assume they decline some options and non tender some players. To stay under the tax line they’d have to send an additional dollar out for every dollar in and this doesn’t count current free agents and obvious non tenders/option rejections and it doesn’t count the money they’ll save with the manager switch.
    Last edited by CP_414; 10-01-2019 at 09:15 AM.

I think the plan is to acquire as much young pitching as they can and that they are willing to break up the core to do it, but the question will be if they offset those moves with free agent spending. To get under the CBT they’d have to basically not spend anything. They are right around the CBT line now if we assume they decline some options and non tender some players. To stay under the tax line they’d have to send an additional dollar out for every dollar in and this doesn’t count current free agents and obvious non tenders/option rejections and it doesn’t count the money they’ll save with the manager switch.
    When has the plan ever to acquire young pitching talent? In the Theo regime?

I highly doubt this. Yes we will acquire some pitching but young unstable pitching is a bad bet. We will get younger pitching by doing nothing really bc Hamels is going bye bye. Any signing could basically be younger than Lester. Sorry I just don’t see us flipping the script and magically stockpiling young arms.

We need offense. Consistent offense. A CFer worth a damn. Someone who doesn’t K 200 times and doesn’t rely on the long ball to produce. Multiple of those guys.

It starts with IMO with “will kb sign an extension that we offer?” I’m sure we will offer a solid deal. Fair for both sides. I would want nothing less. But if the answer is a quick no then we need to trade him. For a potential replacement. A pretty immediate replacement to fill a hole somewhere.

He, in so many words, admitted the Quintana trade was a disaster. So that debate can end.

Quote Originally Posted by petrey10 View Post
    When has the plan ever to acquire young pitching talent? In the Theo regime?

I highly doubt this. Yes we will acquire some pitching but young unstable pitching is a bad bet. We will get younger pitching by doing nothing really bc Hamels is going bye bye. Any signing could basically be younger than Lester. Sorry I just don’t see us flipping the script and magically stockpiling young arms.

We need offense. Consistent offense. A CFer worth a damn. Someone who doesn’t K 200 times and doesn’t rely on the long ball to produce. Multiple of those guys.

It starts with IMO with “will kb sign an extension that we offer?” I’m sure we will offer a solid deal. Fair for both sides. I would want nothing less. But if the answer is a quick no then we need to trade him. For a potential replacement. A pretty immediate replacement to fill a hole somewhere.
    He said this yesterday. Multiple times. They had made a choice to use developmental resources on bats and to buy pitching. They can’t keep doing that. He also said they need to get younger in the pitching staff and to change the look of the rotation. Wanting it and getting it are different things, but I don’t think there is any doubt he wants to target upside young pitchers this winter.
    Last edited by CP_414; 10-01-2019 at 10:01 AM.

One of the things I found interesting was that there will be a focus going forward on team activities/workouts rather than more individualized stuff as it has been with Joe.

I have no problem with the idea of stocking up on young arms and then replacing who you trade with a FA. Bryant for young arms and then sign Donaldson sounds like a great idea, as an example. Not sure how you do that with Willy. I know Grandal is out there, but he cost a lot more than Willy. Bryant for Donaldson still allows the Cubs about $30 to work with in free agency. They can still sign Castellanos, as an example. Then get some pen arms and maybe a starter late in spring for cheap. Or just let Chatwood/Graveman/Mills/Alzolay battle it out for the last spot. Or maybe even a guy the Cubs get for Bryant.

Quote Originally Posted by Stratos View Post
    The Cubs completely choked and fell apart when it mattered the most at the most critical times of the season 2 Septembers in a row. These guys have no heart, they are a bunch of losers. They lost 9 games in a row at the end of Sept. this year in the most critical series' of the year, not to mention losing 3 of 4 in Milwaukee in early Sept....and you want to tinker?

Figure out which ones are losers, and get rid of them. Figure out which ones put their egos ahead of their team, and get rid of them. Maddon was clearly one of them, both a loser and an ego. Bye.
    Half the lineup was either hurt, played through injuries, or tried to come back early from injuries. But they have no heart and are losers? Ok

I just can't stop thinking about the idea of trading KB for Turner. I realize that it's not very likely at all, seeing that Kieboom will probably play 2B, but a guy can dream.

The thought of Javi at 3B, Turner at SS, and Nico at 2B really gets me excited. Plus it would save about 14 million, and gain an extra year of control with Turner.

I don't see any way Washington would even consider this. But it does make sense for both teams if they want Kieboom to be their SS.

White Sox TV broadcaster (and former Cubs TV broadcaster) Steve Stone seems to be endorsing Joe Girardi for being the next Cubs manager.

2016 World Series Champions!!!

Theo Epstein has chimed in several times this past year and a bit with sometimes tough talk, disappointment, and seemingly some sort of game plan to move forward. Until we see the results on the field I am not buying into it. We did nothing last offseason except change a few coaches and hope that bums like Almora, Russell, and Morrow would magically change or get healthy while bringing in cheap garbage like Descalso. Maddon made mistakes for sure but if the front office would have addressed those issues with much more urgency then they would have won the division. They got exactly what they deserved in 2019.

Theo can talk all he wants, until moves are made that address the glaring weaknesses of the roster then no manager is getting us another championship. The front office is on the clock now in my mind, stop talking and start fixing these holes.

Page 7 of 334 FirstFirst ... 567891757107 ... LastLast