Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 61 of 334 FirstFirst ... 1151596061626371111161 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by thawv View Post
    Javi
    Then who plays SS? Don't say Addison since he'll be off the team, and Nico is more of a 2b (maybe CF) In this scenario, I guess Baez would stay at SS with Bote at 3B. But let's hope this scenario does not play out.
    Screw sabermetics.

Quote Originally Posted by Dfan25 View Post
    Now that I thought about it some more if they can pull off a Fried deal I think they can get Rendon and sign NC.

If they trade trade KB / WC / Q / DD that would leave them with around 58 to play with . I think Rendon and NC would take around 48.

They would need to fill a couple of pen spots / bench spots but if they are creative I think it can be done.

The 5th spot would go to Chatwood or minor leaguer but remember that a Bryant trade most likely helps fill several of those holes. I think itís possible . With Donaldson in instead of Rendon obviously they are not as tight with money . Instead of having around 10 after signing a 3B and NC they would have like 17 to work with .This if they stay in the same range as this year.

Caratini would be your everyday catcher however.

Enviado desde mi iPhone utilizando Tapatalk
    This has been my thoughts all along when suggesting I did not want Grandal. And if Bryant brings them a guy like Fried or some of the other names mentioned along with another young prospect or two, they might not even need to trade Contreras. If you are suggesting Chatwood in the rotation, then maybe you donít need another starter in 20í. That said, with or without trading Contreras the idea of Castellanos plus Rendon or even Donaldson is my preference over Grandal and NC.

The Cubs aren't considering moving KB because they are looking to replace him. They are looking to shed payroll. Anybody as productive as KB, (JD or Rendon) are going to cost the same or more than him. If they are going to replace him with the same or higher salary, they should just keep him. Now if they can get a couple of starters that are going to be slotted in the rotation right away, for a fraction of the cost, then they should make the deal.

If cutting payroll is critical, then Javi has to slide over the 3B, and Nico will play SS. Nico can now stay at his natural position and won't need to moved to 2B. Now the payroll is cut........3B is manned by a player already on the payroll........and they've gained two new cheap, controlled starters.

Trading Willson would not accomplish the same thing. I can't see trading a player controlled for 3 more years, who's payroll is not an issue, and wouldn't really help with the payroll reduction considering his production. Oh by the way, according to Fangraphs' offense, he's also the best offensive catcher in baseball.

How about Kieboom and Rutletge for KB?

Who says no?

The Cubs aren't considering moving KB because they are looking to replace him. They are looking to shed payroll. Anybody as productive as KB, (JD or Rendon) are going to cost the same or more than him. If they are going to replace him with the same or higher salary, they should just keep him. Now if they can get a couple of starters that are going to be slotted in the rotation right away, for a fraction of the cost, then they should make the deal.

If cutting payroll is critical, then Javi has to slide over the 3B, and Nico will play SS. Nico can now stay at his natural position and won't need to moved to 2B. Now the payroll is cut........3B is manned by a player already on the payroll........and they've gained two new cheap, controlled starters.

Trading Willson would not accomplish the same thing. I can't see trading a player controlled for 3 more years, who's payroll is not an issue, and wouldn't really help with the payroll reduction considering his production. Oh by the way, according to Fangraphs' offense, he's also the best offensive catcher in baseball.
    But here is the thing, do you know they are planning on cutting payroll? We do not KNOW that. Maybe they plan on keeping the payroll as it is and want to get a few good young arms for next year and the future. Maybe they will put the money they save on Bryant into free agency. Again, we do not KNOW this.
    You are always very strong in your opinions to the point that you suggest them as fact. You are doing it now by suggesting the Cubs will be trading Bryant to cut payroll. But you really do not have anything to support that "fact". IMO if the Cubs do trade Bryant they can go either way. They can do it to cut payroll and get under the luxury tax or they can do it to get young controlled arms and replace him with a FA. Either way, they would be getting young controlled arms who are cheaper if they moved Bryant. If they do it to get under the luxury tax I do not expect them to be very good in 2020. I would consider then punting the 2020 season away in the midst of what many consider their window.

I do agree with you regarding trading Willson. That will not accomplish cutting much salary. But, again, we really do not know what the plan is next year. Maybe they only trade Willson. Maybe him and whatever needs to be added to get Fried or Gray. Maybe they then sign a catcher to split time with Caratini. They would still have about $30M to work with in free agency. Maybe they sign Castellanos, Pomerenz and another pen arm or a bench player and go with that team. According the their run differential from last year this team should have won 90 games. It is also pretty well noted that things have a way of evening out year to year. So, if they came back with basically the same team is it that hard to believe they can win 90+ next year. For that matter, if they dealt Q, maybe they can get another prospect and let Chatwood or Graveman start. Is the rotation any worse with Gray and Chatwood then it was with Hamels and Q? And would Q bring something else of value back. Maybe a solid 4th outfielder who hits right handed and can fill in when they sit Heyward. Maybe a second baseman. Whatever, that would be one less person they would have to sign as a FA.
    I am starting to lean towards the idea of NOT trading KB. Maybe only trading Willson and try again in 20'. With a few good FA pick ups, maybe a good smaller trade, this team can win in 20', IMO. Sadly, I do not think they will do that however. I think they will trade KB. That is why I will continue to discuss the team with that premise. Doesn't mean I want to trade him, however.

How about Kieboom and Rutletge for KB?

Who says no?
    Cubs, I hope. IMO that is not near enough. And if that is all they get, I wouldn't trade KB.

As I have said most recently, I really would rather not trade Bryant. But if they are going to how about for Giolitto, Bummer and Steele Walker. Is that too little or too much to ask? If it is too much, again, I wouldn't be interested in trading Bryant for less. TBH, I would want Madrigal instead of Steele. But that might be too much.
    The sox have problems attracting the high end free agents. This would give them a star without having to get him via free agency.

As I said, I still hate the idea of trading Bryant. And I especially hate it to the sox. But the do match up pretty well with what the Cubs want.

I am so not looking forward to this offseason.

Quote Originally Posted by CP_414 View Post
    He's not Almora so I'm interested

Quote Originally Posted by rcal10 View Post
    As I have said most recently, I really would rather not trade Bryant. But if they are going to how about for Giolitto, Bummer and Steele Walker. Is that too little or too much to ask? If it is too much, again, I wouldn't be interested in trading Bryant for less. TBH, I would want Madrigal instead of Steele. But that might be too much.
    The sox have problems attracting the high end free agents. This would give them a star without having to get him via free agency.

As I said, I still hate the idea of trading Bryant. And I especially hate it to the sox. But the do match up pretty well with what the Cubs want.
    Sox are probably happy with Moncada at 3b. They need some pitching and a corner OF and they should be ready to contend.

Quote Originally Posted by Cubboy View Post
    I am so not looking forward to this offseason.
    Me neither. Again, the more I think about it, I think I would try making some minor tweaks and going for it again with many of the same cast. At $30M to spend, sign Castellanos, Pomerenz and maybe a cheap arm to compete for the rotation and try again. The team underachieved last year. So maybe with the same guys they do not underachieve this year. Maybe with that team they win 90+ games. The problem is, I think many would have a problem with this because of what Theo said. It would be another year of not making many changes. Of course, sometimes the best result of a deal is to not make the deal. They can still replace guys like Almora, Russell, Descalso. But for the most part no big moves. I honestly think if they did just small moves they would still be considered at least a co favorite for the division.

Quote Originally Posted by CP_414 View Post
    Sox are probably happy with Moncada at 3b. They need some pitching and a corner OF and they should be ready to contend.
    Probably. But they can move him back to second as well.

Quote Originally Posted by ILMindState View Post
    He's not Almora so I'm interested
    Right. Heís a leadoff hitting, contact oriented, high walk rate, good defensive CF. Heís 32 next year and I donít know how they expect his skill set to translate or what the cost will be, but there has to be some level of interest in a short term deal.

Probably. But they can move him back to second as well.
    Yeah, they could. Or just go with Abreu, Madrigal, Anderson, Moncada across the IF with Vaughn possibly joining at some point next year. Eloy, Robert as 2/3rds of the OF. I donít think theyíll get him, but they should be in big time on Cole.

Me neither. Again, the more I think about it, I think I would try making some minor tweaks and going for it again with many of the same cast. At $30M to spend, sign Castellanos, Pomerenz and maybe a cheap arm to compete for the rotation and try again. The team underachieved last year. So maybe with the same guys they do not underachieve this year. Maybe with that team they win 90+ games. The problem is, I think many would have a problem with this because of what Theo said. It would be another year of not making many changes. Of course, sometimes the best result of a deal is to not make the deal. They can still replace guys like Almora, Russell, Descalso. But for the most part no big moves. I honestly think if they did just small moves they would still be considered at least a co favorite for the division.
    Putting any effort towards upgrading CF and 2B most likely improves those positions. Any effort.
    They are probably sensing more attrition from the rotation, and with little to no help nearby in the system and a capped out payroll, trades are pretty much the only option. I am not looking forward to that.