Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 51 of 334 FirstFirst ... 41495051525361101151 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by rcal10 View Post
    True about the Braves and Donaldson. But as you said the most likely scenario is he signs with the Braves.

Honestly, this off season is going to suck for me. I feel both KB and Contreras will be dealt. I also feel the Cubs will try to get under the luxury tax so that they can go over a few years in a row without as large a penalty. IMO they will reset in 2020. And that just sucks for the 2020 season results. I do understand if they did move KB and Contreras and got some guys ready in 21' they would have a lot of money they can spend to compete again in 21'. But that does nothing for me in 2020.
    To me if they get the right returns in those deals I have no problem taking a step back in 2020. Let’s say they trade KB for Graterol / Larnach and they deal Willy to Atl for Kyle Wright. That gives them 2 cheap front of rotation type arms and a starting OF already in place for 2021 . Graterol and Wright could probably step into the rotation next year ( it would depend on when the Cubs want to start their service clocks ). Those types of trades sets them up very Nicely with young cheap high potencial talent on the roster and a lot of flexibility with the payroll to use on FA.

I take that over adding a couple of pen arms and trying to win with KB and Willy but to each their own I guess.

Enviado desde mi iPhone utilizando Tapatalk

El Mago

Quote Originally Posted by Dfan25 View Post
    To me if they get the right returns in those deals I have no problem taking a step back in 2020. Let’s say they trade KB for Graterol / Larnach and they deal Willy to Atl for Kyle Wright. That gives them 2 cheap front of rotation type arms and a starting OF already in place for 2021 . Graterol and Wright could probably step into the rotation next year ( it would depend on when the Cubs want to start their service clocks ). Those types of trades sets them up very Nicely with young cheap high potencial talent on the roster and a lot of flexibility with the payroll to use on FA.

I take that over adding a couple of pen arms and trying to win with KB and Willy but to each their own I guess.

I don't really get the point of taking a step back next year. The window is through 2021. After that you need to pay Javy, KB, Rizzo, Schwarber. You lose Lester and Quintana, which means you really only have Darvish at 36 and Hendricks locked up.

I don't know, neither are great options.

Quote Originally Posted by TheRealTI View Post
    I don't really get the point of taking a step back next year. The window is through 2021. After that you need to pay Javy, KB, Rizzo, Schwarber. You lose Lester and Quintana, which means you really only have Darvish at 36 and Hendricks locked up.

But the guys that would be aquire gives them a great chance of starting a new and longer window That their current one with plenty of cash moving forward which allows them to resign their own guys or sign FA . I prefer they add to this group and try to win as well but in reality I don’t know if they can . I completely understand if they chose to take a step back .

El Mago

I think they need to do both. If they don’t compete in 2020 and go under the tax, trade stars for prospects who won’t help the 2020 team and don’t replace them in FA we should be pissed. If they bring back the same roster with really minor tinkering on the edges we should be pissed.

The challenge this offseason is to build a team that can contend in 2020 while also better positioning themselves for the post 2021 future so a window never closes. That won’t be easy, but that’s what they need to do.

If they choose to trade Bryant and brush off 2020, they have to win the trade.
    No “yeah buts...” or “at the time...”

That trade has to be won.

True about the Braves and Donaldson. But as you said the most likely scenario is he signs with the Braves.

Honestly, this off season is going to suck for me. I feel both KB and Contreras will be dealt. I also feel the Cubs will try to get under the luxury tax so that they can go over a few years in a row without as large a penalty. IMO they will reset in 2020. And that just sucks for the 2020 season results. I do understand if they did move KB and Contreras and got some guys ready in 21' they would have a lot of money they can spend to compete again in 21'. But that does nothing for me in 2020.
    I don't understand why resetting the payroll means we can't compete this year. We're not winning with these guys anymore as it is. Time for cheaper guys. That doesn't mean they are going to be less talented. They will just be cheaper and more controlled. I'm all for it.

Every team that made the playoffs had less payroll then the Cubs. We can definitely win this division, while spending less money. We need to add some contact guys. They are usually cheaper too. I trust that Thoyer will make the correct decisions this year. I believe he will remove his emotions this off season. Unlike last off season

Quote Originally Posted by Cubboy View Post
    If they choose to trade Bryant and brush off 2020, they have to win the trade.
    No “yeah buts...” or “at the time...”

That trade has to be won.
    Eh, I agree with most of this except "at the time". This assumes a crystal ball. I won't fault any GM for making what was a great trade only for unforseen circumstances to make it a poor one.

But I don't disagree with the premise that if the Cubs decide to punt 2020 and trade Bryant the only outcome should be an absolute win in the moment.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

It'd be pretty weak for a big market team like the Cubs to trade Bryant because they are worried about paying him in two years. You have a guy on a HOF trajectory that you drafted and could make a career long Cub. We are a top payroll team in MLB. Trading Bryant because you don't want to pay him is not good business. Players like him do not come along often.

I doubt management trades him but the fact that it is even being considered makes me nervous.
    They're not at all worried about paying him in two years. In fact, I think they've come to reality that he's going to be a FA. They are worried about paying him 45 million the next two years while still not winning. They are also worried about getting nothing but a draft pick when he walks.

Theo is trying to prevent the window from closing after 2021. It's time to extend the window by bringing in good, young, cheap talent.

Quote Originally Posted by thawv View Post
    I don't understand why resetting the payroll means we can't compete this year. We're not winning with these guys anymore as it is. Time for cheaper guys. That doesn't mean they are going to be less talented. They will just be cheaper and more controlled. I'm all for it.

Every team that made the playoffs had less payroll then the Cubs. We can definitely win this division, while spending less money. We need to add some contact guys. They are usually cheaper too. I trust that Thoyer will make the correct decisions this year. I believe he will remove his emotions this off season. Unlike last off season
    I guess it depends on what the Cubs could spend if they did trade Bryant and either trade Q or not pick him up next year. I do not see much more they can save money on. Maybe trade Kimbrel? I mean you are suggesting they can compete in 2020, without spending much. But just how much can they spend. And how do they replace Bryant without spending, IF they are going to stay under the luxury tax. I mean, sure they can make all perfect moves and compete. But what you are suggesting is very difficult. And if they did trade Bryant, Q and Kimbrel that is 3 guys they have to replace with limited room on the budget. And if you somehow got equal talent back, you are only back to the talent of the 2019 team. And, getting equal talent back is a neat trick without spending, IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by thawv View Post

If that's truly what the front office thinks then I'd hope they'd trade most of the guys on the roster to get what they can. I disagree with your assessment which is why I'm against trading our best players.

If that's truly what the front office thinks then I'd hope they'd trade most of the guys on the roster to get what they can. I disagree with your assessment which is why I'm against trading our best players.
    Yep, I am not sure where thawv is coming from when he suggest we drop payroll stay under the luxury tax yet he expects to win next year. I think you can HOPE to win. But expecting to do so if entirely different. And very difficult if you are replacing Bryant with a low priced guy, or maybe Bote. I have no idea what direction the team will take. But if they cut the spending to get below the luxury tax, competing in 20' is more of a dream then a reality, IMO.

Bote just got another error by the way. Seriously.

Kintzler is screwing with those defensive metrics.

https://twitter.com/espnchicubs/stat...350374912?s=21

Yep, I am not sure where thawv is coming from when he suggest we drop payroll stay under the luxury tax yet he expects to win next year. I think you can HOPE to win. But expecting to do so if entirely different. And very difficult if you are replacing Bryant with a low priced guy, or maybe Bote. I have no idea what direction the team will take. But if they cut the spending to get below the luxury tax, competing in 20' is more of a dream then a reality, IMO.
    It's also really unlikely to happen in the year they launch Marquee. They are going to want the team to be as competitive in 2020 as possible

**** yeah, Albies!

Atlanta up 4-3.