Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 329 of 334 FirstFirst ... 229279319327328329330331 ... LastLast
Results 4,921 to 4,935 of 5009
    Quote Originally Posted by CP_414 View Post
    If you sign a free agent to a minor league deal he doesnít get a 40 man spot. If you sign a mlb deal the player gets a 40 man spot.

In a case like this where the player has remaining options and you have plenty of 40 man space, you might as well give him a 40 man spot. He can still be optioned as needed or DFAd if you had a 40 man crunch later this year.
    What about the guys they drafted that are on the 40?

Is signing a player to a minor league deal, and putting him on the 40, not allowed?

Does this only apply to guys that are signed to the team from other teams?

Howie Kendrick back to Nats. 1 yr/$6.25 mil with a 2nd yr option

2016 World Series Champions!!!

2019 - 2020 Off Season Thread

Quote Originally Posted by thawv View Post
    What about the guys they drafted that are on the 40?

Is signing a player to a minor league deal, and putting him on the 40, not allowed?

Does this only apply to guys that are signed to the team from other teams?
    What do you mean by the first sentence? Iím not sure what you are asking.

For the 2nd one, yeah, you can sign a player to minor league deal and then add him to the 40 when you want to call him up. Thatís how minor league deals work. When the Cubs sign Morrow in a few weeks itíll be a minor league deal. He wonít be on the 40 man. But if he pitches well and gets called up heíll need to be put on the 40. Since he doesnít have options if they want to replace him on the roster theyíll need to DFA him. They wonít be able to send him back because he was moved onto the 40.

In a case like this, I believe he has at least one option year remaining, so thereís no commitment to keep him on the 25 all year either way. Heís a year removed from a good season. Why wouldnít someone give him a 40 man spot knowing they could remove him if needed?
    Last edited by CP_414; 12-06-2019 at 11:54 AM.

For baseballs sake I would love to see stras end up in SD. Love what theyíve been doing and how theyíve gone about it the last few years.

What do you mean by the first sentence? Iím not sure what you are asking.

For the 2nd one, yeah, you can sign a player to minor league deal and then add him to the 40 when you want to call him up. Thatís how minor league deals work. When the Cubs sign Morrow in a few weeks itíll be a minor league deal. He wonít be on the 40 man. But if he pitches well and gets called up heíll need to be put on the 40. Since he doesnít have options if they want to replace him on the roster theyíll need to DFA him. They wonít be able to send him back because he was moved onto the 40.

In a case like this, I believe he has at least one option year remaining, so thereís no commitment to keep him on the 25 all year either way. Heís a year removed from a good season. Why wouldnít someone give him a 40 man spot knowing they could remove him if needed?
    When you made this statement, "A 40 man deal is a major league deal." I thought you were saying that all the guys on the 40 man roster are on major league deals. That's what I didn't understand.

Quote Originally Posted by thawv View Post
    When you made this statement, "A 40 man deal is a major league deal." I thought you were saying that all the guys on the 40 man roster are on major league deals. That's what I didn't understand.
    All guys on the 40 man are on major league contracts. To be placed on a 40 man roster the mlb team technically purchases (or selects, as I donít think any money changes hands to the milb team, but they still often use the term purchase) that contract from the minor league team. For example, when they added Amaya a few weeks ago the Cubs purchased his contract from Myrtle Beach.

Any 40 man deal is a major league deal.

In terms of money, Amaya could have made about $1500 per month last year. This year because heís on the 40 heíll make at least $44,500. If heís in the minors next year and still on the 40 he needs to make at least $89k. A minor league free agent would make whatever amount is agreed to in the contract to cover their time in the minors and then the league min or whatever amount was agreed to above the minimum once they get to mlb.
    Last edited by CP_414; 12-06-2019 at 12:37 PM.

Good luck Rossy, looks like we will be shopping at the Dollar Store and not Bloomingdales this offseason.

We will see what happens but I am having a hard time seeing us as a contender this upcoming season, real hard time.

Looking like Pirates want a top catching prospect in a Marte deal but no thanks on Amaya for Marte. His defense is not good in CF and he doesnít walk. I was more interested in Marte earlier but after looking more closely no thanks.

Enviado desde mi iPhone utilizando Tapatalk

El Mago

I don't see anything not to like about Winkler. Really good reliever in recent years, and a harder throwing lefty, which we've needed. People talk all the time about relief pitcher volatility, and Winkler is definitely a guy you can see being the Cubs setup man by the end of next year.

It's not the expectation, but there's a non-outside chance. Sign as many of those guys as you can and stash them.

I think Winkler elevates us from an 80 win team to an 90 win team. Truly a fantastic move.

Quote Originally Posted by La_bibbers View Post
    I don't see anything not to like about Winkler. Really good reliever in recent years, and a harder throwing lefty, which we've needed. People talk all the time about relief pitcher volatility, and Winkler is definitely a guy you can see being the Cubs setup man by the end of next year.

It's not the expectation, but there's a non-outside chance. Sign as many of those guys as you can and stash them.
    Heís a righty so the velocity is just averageish, but itís 750k and heís option-able so itís a fine no risk move.

Winkler is a righty but other than that I agree I like the signing . Remember him from 2018 and liked the stuff . Itís a split contract and he has options so no biggie.

With that said I would like to see them add more than just a bunch of Winkler types and sadly I think this is where they are headed .

Enviado desde mi iPhone utilizando Tapatalk
    Last edited by Dfan25; 12-06-2019 at 02:11 PM.

El Mago

Heís a righty so the velocity is just averageish, but itís 750k and heís option-able so itís a fine no risk move.
    **** me I was confusing him with Sean Newcomb.

**** me I was confusing him with Sean Newcomb.
    That would have been better.

I donít love Newcomb, but Iíd take him somewhere on the roster.

All guys on the 40 man are on major league contracts. To be placed on a 40 man roster the mlb team technically purchases (or selects, as I donít think any money changes hands to the milb team, but they still often use the term purchase) that contract from the minor league team. For example, when they added Amaya a few weeks ago the Cubs purchased his contract from Myrtle Beach.

Any 40 man deal is a major league deal.

In terms of money, Amaya could have made about $1500 per month last year. This year because heís on the 40 heíll make at least $44,500. If heís in the minors next year and still on the 40 he needs to make at least $89k. A minor league free agent would make whatever amount is agreed to in the contract to cover their time in the minors and then the league min or whatever amount was agreed to above the minimum once they get to mlb.
    Got it, thanks. I always assumed that those dollar amounts were minor league contracts. Then major league contracts became 565k, or whatever the amount is.