Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 3 of 222 FirstFirst 123451353103 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by CubsRule08 View Post
    For those who are interested:

Theo Epstein will be having his end of season media session at 3 pm today.

Iím sure weíre going to find out whatís to be expected this offseason
    Yeah I would assume what we hear today is a decent outline of what the offseason is going to look like. I think we will hear that they appreciate Joe's contributions but that we need to go a new direction and a new voice. They'll say something to the tune of "84 wins isn't what we were expecting on the season and that we need to do better as an organization" and will likely make it clear that there will likely be more changes than just Joe Maddon this offseason. If they talk about the organization being better "top to bottom" or if they talk incessently about Rickett's generous spending, that'll probably signal 2020 as being a budget-break year and trading for younger players and doing a soft "reset". If we hear wholesale changes or that the Cubs expectations haven't changed and that they plan to compete for a World Series in 2020, I'd expect trades, but that they'll target MLB talent over that of younger players.

Just have to read the tea leafs of the comments. But the outline will almost assuredly be there.

Quote Originally Posted by 1908_Cubs View Post
    Yeah I would assume what we hear today is a decent outline of what the offseason is going to look like. I think we will hear that they appreciate Joe's contributions but that we need to go a new direction and a new voice. They'll say something to the tune of "84 wins isn't what we were expecting on the season and that we need to do better as an organization" and will likely make it clear that there will likely be more changes than just Joe Maddon this offseason. If they talk about the organization being better "top to bottom" or if they talk incessently about Rickett's generous spending, that'll probably signal 2020 as being a budget-break year and trading for younger players and doing a soft "reset". If we hear wholesale changes or that the Cubs expectations haven't changed and that they plan to compete for a World Series in 2020, I'd expect trades, but that they'll target MLB talent over that of younger players.

Just have to read the tea leafs of the comments. But the outline will almost assuredly be there.
    From a fans point of view, I hope he's super transparent. From an organizational standpoint, I hope he gives no indication on future plans with players, or payroll. I'd prefer if he didn't reveal anything.

Quote Originally Posted by thawv View Post
    From a fans point of view, I hope he's super transparent. From an organizational standpoint, I hope he gives no indication on future plans with players, or payroll. I'd prefer if he didn't reveal anything.
    There wont be anything specific. He's not stupid. That creates a media frenzy. But they have been transparent if you read between the lines. They always are. Last year, despite what many on this board felt, the Cubs over and over again said they weren't spending. They made reference after reference. Many thought it was a smoke screen. It was not.

What they say has always been transparent. In a certain kind of way. They won't say "We will trade Kris Bryant" but they may allude to large changes. They might not say they're looking to reset the tax line. But they may say things that make it clear they won't be spending again.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

The press conference is on TV now:

NBC Sports Chicago Plus

2016 World Series Champions!!!

The press conference is on TV now:

NBC Sports Chicago Plus
    Thanks!

Anybody with Directv know what channel it is?

Thanks!

Anybody with Directv know what channel it is?
    Only thing I see is it says Channel 665-1.

Idk if that helps you

Ross on the "broad list of candidates".

Shout out to Daniel Descalso. No, really.

Only thing I see is it says Channel 665-1.

Idk if that helps you
    Thanks. It's not on there by me.

2019 - 2020 Off Season Thread

I think mostly all of us expected Theo to say he wasnít going to tip his hand to the rest of the league about how he will treat his payroll usage this offseason regarding shedding payroll and/or going above luxury tax threshold.

Clearly the right choice to make there

Now he's talking about that luxury tax, revenue, and payroll. Sounding like he wants to get under budget.

Quote Originally Posted by chi-townlove1 View Post
    Now he's talking about that luxury tax, revenue, and payroll. Sounding like he wants to get under budget.
    He said he NOT going to talk about payroll to avoid tipping their hand.

He did mention how they have the second highest payroll many times. I didnít take that as a positive.

Exactly, I wasn't saying he stated anything specifically. Just the tone of the voice, the direction of the conversation and the statements he's making - all sound like they have strong intention to not be in a similar place this time next year, financially speaking.

Quote Originally Posted by Cubboy View Post
    He did mention how they have the second highest payroll many times. I didnít take that as a positive.
    They are going under boys. Be prepared. 2020 is not going to be pretty. At least we might have more comments on the minor league thread.

Page 3 of 222 FirstFirst 123451353103 ... LastLast