Like us on Facebook


Follow us on Twitter





Page 284 of 334 FirstFirst ... 184234274282283284285286294 ... LastLast
Results 4,246 to 4,260 of 5009
  1. #4246
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Puerto Rico
    Posts
    13,470

    2019 - 2020 Off Season Thread

    Mooney probably thinks Keuchel will end up signing a cheap deal . Cubs wonít be paying 10 + for anybody this winter IMO . Doubt Keuchel ends up with the Cubs. I think they will be in on Lindblom .


    As for that KB / Angels proposal I doubt the Angels trade Adell and Canning but I would take that deal even with Cozart because I am expecting a step back anyway next season . They wonít get a better prospect than Adell .

    In a perfect world i would wait a year with KB see how his season goes and then talk extension. With that said not sure the Cubs canít afford to wait if a good offer comes their way.


    Enviado desde mi iPhone utilizando Tapatalk

  2. #4247
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    9,138
    Quote Originally Posted by CP_414 View Post
    Unless itís a surprisingly cheap short term deal, Iíd pass on that one.

    If they are going to spend in that range, Iíd prefer Ryu. Heíll probably only get 2-3 years and it would be nice to have another starter who can control the strike zone. I doubt they are serious about any free agent pitchers in that price range though.
    What are you thinking?

    I'm thinking he's worth about 2/18. I'm not suggesting that he'll take that, but that's about what I'd pay him.

  3. #4248
    Join Date
    Jul 2018
    Posts
    4,457
    If the Cubs offseason plan is what most of you are suggesting with trades and cheap signings, might as well make alot of summer plans because it probably won't be fun watching the cubs play baseball ..

    You guys are depressing me with some of these suggestions
    [emoji849]

  4. #4249
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Posts
    10,904
    Quote Originally Posted by thawv View Post
    What are you thinking?

    I'm thinking he's worth about 2/18. I'm not suggesting that he'll take that, but that's about what I'd pay him.
    Kiley McDaniel had him at 3/45. Fangraphs crowdsource was 4/70. Mlbtr projected 3/39. Iíd guess mlbtr is closest to his signed contract, but I donít really want him for 3 years. If it was the 2/18 you mentioned, thatís fine, but Iíd guess thatís light.

  5. #4250
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Posts
    1,017
    So basically we have 2 camps. One that thinks we should roll with what we had from a third place team and spend to try to win, or hope for positive variance.

    The other camp thinks this window is closing and players that couldn't win are getting more expensive. That hopefully retooling now doesn't take us back to ground zero considering we're broke, aging, and barren in the farm currently.

    I'm fine with either, but the worst fate in sports is being middle of the pack. They need to fully commit to either. Also, I'm still drunk and won a $100 in a little black dress party. It was a good Friday.

  6. #4251
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Posts
    10,904

    2019 - 2020 Off Season Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by jfoley89 View Post
    So basically we have 2 camps. One that thinks we should roll with what we had from a third place team and spend to try to win, or hope for positive variance.

    The other camp thinks this window is closing and players that couldn't win are getting more expensive. That hopefully retooling now doesn't take us back to ground zero considering we're broke, aging, and barren in the farm currently.

    I'm fine with either, but the worst fate in sports is being middle of the pack. They need to fully commit to either. Also, I'm still drunk and won a $100 in a little black dress party. It was a good Friday.
    I think thereís more than 2 camps. They could:
    1. Add aggressively to this core to try to win in the next 2 years. Go all in on today and figure out 2022 in 2022.
    2. Add carefully to this core to build up the depth but avoid any long term big money deals and avoid trading away key prospects. Extend who you can, but donít necessarily trade players you canít extend. Build up the bench and bullpen, find a serviceable 5th starter cheap and try to win while also letting the farm system grow.
    3. Put less emphasis on 2020 but still try to be competitive in 2020. Try to lock in key players on extensions. Whoever doesnít extend is trade bait. Spend in free agency, but not on the top tier guys. Donít tank, build an 85ish win team that could overachieve, but move on from players who they canít extend and build up the farm system in the process.
    4. Forget 2020. Retool the roster with 2021+ in mind. Follow the Yankee model for a super quick rebuild and if you suck for a year to get there, thatís fine. If you are more mediocre than bad in 2020, thatís fine too, but the focus isnít this year at all.
    5. Burn it to the ground.

    I like options 1 or 2. Iím pretty sure their plan is option 3. Some here like option 4. A couple people have been in favor of option 5.
    Last edited by CP_414; 11-30-2019 at 01:46 PM.

  7. #4252
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    9,138
    Quote Originally Posted by CP_414 View Post
    Kiley McDaniel had him at 3/45. Fangraphs crowdsource was 4/70. Mlbtr projected 3/39. Iíd guess mlbtr is closest to his signed contract, but I donít really want him for 3 years. If it was the 2/18 you mentioned, thatís fine, but Iíd guess thatís light.
    Two years is the most I would want to go. I expect him to be about 4.5-5 wins over the next two years.

    FG had an article giving WAR values to position players, SP'ers, and RP'ers

    Position players were 5.7 million per win
    SP'ers were 4.2 million per win
    RP'ers were 10.9 million per win.

    Based on their numbers, I can't imagine anybody giving him the kind of money that's been suggested. Unless of course he's projected to be a 17+ win player over the next 4 years, but I just don't see it. He's just over 18 wins for his career. I've also never been super impressed with his career as a whole, so that may affect my thinking.

    He's been over 5 wins once in his career. I'd say that he's about a 2.5 win pitcher. So saying that, I would go as high as maybe 2/22

  8. #4253
    Join Date
    Jul 2018
    Posts
    4,457
    Quote Originally Posted by CP_414 View Post
    I think thereís more than 2 camps. They could:
    1. Add aggressively to this core to try to win in the next 2 years. Go all in on today and figure out 2022 in 2022.
    2. Add carefully to this core to build up the depth but avoid any long term big money deals and avoid trading away key prospects. Extend who you can, but donít necessarily trade players you canít extend. Build up the bench and bullpen, find a serviceable 5th starter cheap and try to win while also letting the farm system grow.
    3. Put less emphasis on 2020 but still try to be competitive in 2020. Try to lock in key players on extensions. Whoever doesnít extend is trade bait. Spend in free agency, but not on the top tier guys. Donít tank, build an 85ish win team that could overachieve, but move on from players who they canít extend and build up the farm system in the process.
    4. Forget 2020. Retool the roster with 2021+ in mind. Follow the Yankee model for a super quick rebuild and if you suck for a year to get there, thatís fine. If you are more mediocre than bad in 2020, thatís fine too, but the focus isnít this year at all.
    5. Burn it to the ground.

    I like options 1 or 2. Iím pretty sure their plan is option 3. Some here like option 4. A couple people have been in favor of option 5.
    I'm in the 1 or 2 camp..
    I'd like to take advantage of the talent they have now because there no guarentee that by trading your best bat or two, it will bring in prospects that will be just as good or better..

    IMO, the lineup needed a couple contact bats which they got late in Castellanos and Hoerner ...
    If they can add contact bats to the main core guys for the full year, they should be all right.

    Improve the bench and bullpen

    Add a impact SP

  9. #4254
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    9,138
    I'm going to switch gears for a minute.

    I personally don't think that Brailyn Marquez is going to make it as a SP. He really only has one over powering pitch, and an average curve ball.

    I'm in the camp of committing him to the pen, and get him up here this year. I see him as maybe a poor mans Chapman. I'd rather have him in the bigs now, than in the minors trying to make it as a SP.

    I could be wrong but I see him fizzling out as a starter. An arm like his could be special out of the pen.

  10. #4255
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Bloomington, IL
    Posts
    4,727
    Quote Originally Posted by chibears55 View Post
    I'm in the 1 or 2 camp..
    I'd like to take advantage of the talent they have now because there no guarentee that by trading your best bat or two, it will bring in prospects that will be just as good or better..

    IMO, the lineup needed a couple contact bats which they got late in Castellanos and Hoerner ...
    If they can add contact bats to the main core guys for the full year, they should be all right.

    Improve the bench and bullpen

    Add a impact SP
    I'm still pretty much in the 1 camp, same I was last year. All the "these guys can't win" stuff is some dumb ********, considering it's like the most winningest group of players we've ever had. They should have gone with 1 last offseason, trying to maximize the window. At the least they should've improved the bullpen. Now the window's smaller and I'm sort of in between 1 and 2. They need a lot more help now and it's going to be harder to obtain it, but I'd still rather get these guys some proper help and ride it out then hope and pray we can build a group this good again in a few years. The apathy we went into 2019 with, which I blame Ricketts for, will always piss me off.
    Last edited by Sofnr; 11-30-2019 at 02:19 PM.

  11. #4256
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    9,138
    Quote Originally Posted by Sofnr View Post
    I'm still pretty much in the 1 camp, same I was last year. All the "these guys can't win" stuff is some dumb ********, considering it's like the most winningest group of players we've ever had. They should have gone with 1 last offseason, trying to maximize the window. At the least they should've improved the bullpen. Now the window's smaller and I'm sort of in between 1 and 2. They need a lot more help now and it's going to be harder to obtain it, but I'd still rather get these guys some proper help and ride it out then hope and pray we can build a group this good again in a few years. The apathy we went into 2019 with, which I blame Ricketts for, will always piss me off.
    Just out of curiosity, why do you blame Ricketts?

    He spent 240 million last year on a middle of the pack team. That's 47 million more than 2018. In your opinion, how much would you like to see them realistically spend? As a fan, I'd like them to spend until they win. And then spend more! But that's just not realistic.

    I think at some point, the guy that's writing the checks is going to get tired of spending money without winning a championship.

    Compared to the rest of the league, Ricketts is a big spender. I personally don't blame him for wanting to reel in the spending a bit. The Cubs are not winning because of a lack of spending. There's some bad money on this team.

  12. #4257
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Bloomington, IL
    Posts
    4,727
    Quote Originally Posted by thawv View Post
    Just out of curiosity, why do you blame Ricketts?

    He spent 240 million last year on a middle of the pack team. That's 47 million more than 2018. In your opinion, how much would you like to see them realistically spend? As a fan, I'd like them to spend until they win. And then spend more! But that's just not realistic.

    I think at some point, the guy that's writing the checks is going to get tired of spending money without winning a championship.

    Compared to the rest of the league, Ricketts is a big spender. I personally don't blame him for wanting to reel in the spending a bit. The Cubs are not winning because of a lack of spending. There's some bad money on this team.
    When you spend big in free agency you are almost always going to end up with some bad money. Yes Ricketts have spent well in comparison to others in the league. They also have made a **** load of money off the Cubs. We were in the middle of an excellent window with pretty clear weaknesses and we were handicapped from addressing any of those weaknesses because they played broke. I don't dislike Ricketts, and it's certainly fair to blame Theo for the bad money. But I was always for maximizing our chances during this window, and by being completely apathetic and playing broke they pretty much punted a year. If they had been a little more aggressive early on the bullpen, maybe you don't have to put more bad money on a Kimbrel deal, and maybe you don't fall short of the playoffs. The Cubs pretty much finished where they were projected to finish based on the talent we had on the team. It wasn't hard to see.
    Last edited by Sofnr; 11-30-2019 at 02:43 PM.

  13. #4258
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    9,138
    Quote Originally Posted by Sofnr View Post
    When you spend big in free agency you are almost always going to end up with some bad money. Yes Ricketts have spent well in comparison to others in the league. They also have made a **** load of money off the Cubs. We were in the middle of an excellent window with pretty clear weaknesses and we were handicapped from addressing any of those weaknesses because they played broke. I don't dislike Ricketts, and it's certainly fair to blame Theo for the bad money. But I was always for maximizing our chances during this window, and by being completely apathetic and playing broke they pretty much punted a year. If they had been a little more aggressive early on the bullpen, maybe you don't have to put more bad money on a Kimbrel deal, and maybe you don't fall short of the playoffs. The Cubs pretty much finished where they were projected to finish based on the talent we had on the team. It wasn't hard to see.
    That's one of the biggest reasons that overall free agent spending has fallen the last 2 years. Teams are getting tired of overpaying for older players, for what they did in the past. They are getting smarter, and are much more willing to pay for future performance.

    Imagine if they were looking to spend more money last year, instead of just 47 million. They could very well be in worse shape than they are in now.

    I don't know what the answer is, to be honest. Spending more money isn't going to solve the problem. Not spending isn't going to solve the problem. There's only 2 SP'ers on this team that can be counted on. That's a huge problem that needs to be addressed. I think that trading a couple of the core players is the best way to address that problem. Our pitching needs to get younger, cheaper, and better.

    It's not my money, so spend away!

  14. #4259
    Join Date
    Jul 2018
    Posts
    4,457
    Quote Originally Posted by thawv View Post
    That's one of the biggest reasons that overall free agent spending has fallen the last 2 years. Teams are getting tired of overpaying for older players, for what they did in the past. They are getting smarter, and are much more willing to pay for future performance.

    Imagine if they were looking to spend more money last year, instead of just 47 million. They could very well be in worse shape than they are in now.

    I don't know what the answer is, to be honest. Spending more money isn't going to solve the problem. Not spending isn't going to solve the problem. There's only 2 SP'ers on this team that can be counted on. That's a huge problem that needs to be addressed. I think that trading a couple of the core players is the best way to address that problem. Our pitching needs to get younger, cheaper, and better.

    It's not my money, so spend away!
    Only thing that bugs me with Ricketts is him putting a max in spending the last 2 yrs because he doesn't want to pay the tax penalty, which with the revenue coming in, they can more then afford..

    I'm not saying they should just splurge on any player no matter the amount, just saying using this offseason as an example, I'd like to see them be an actual player on guys like Cole or Strasburg who are stud SP they need and would help them now and next 4 to 5 years. SP like them dont become available often, especially Cole who just 29...

  15. #4260
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Posts
    1,017
    Quote Originally Posted by thawv View Post
    That's one of the biggest reasons that overall free agent spending has fallen the last 2 years. Teams are getting tired of overpaying for older players, for what they did in the past. They are getting smarter, and are much more willing to pay for future performance.

    Imagine if they were looking to spend more money last year, instead of just 47 million. They could very well be in worse shape than they are in now.

    I don't know what the answer is, to be honest. Spending more money isn't going to solve the problem. Not spending isn't going to solve the problem. There's only 2 SP'ers on this team that can be counted on. That's a huge problem that needs to be addressed. I think that trading a couple of the core players is the best way to address that problem. Our pitching needs to get younger, cheaper, and better.

    It's not my money, so spend away!
    The issue with throw more money at it is there's always an upper limit. The farm is work in progress, but it's not going to improve if we keep bleeding picks and resources trying to fix a systematic flaw. The organization needs to develop pitchers and change their hitting approach. Last year was a huge step in the right direction. Throwing 300 million in payroll to try and fix a roster with this many problems seems to eventually force the Cubs to tear it all down and do a full rebuild.

    All the people complaining about Ricketts love to point out this is the most successful group of players the Cubs have ever had, but they forget this is the most successful era of the Cubs on the business side as well. The park, infrastructure, minor league development, and FO have more resources than at any time in Cubs history.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •