Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 281 of 334 FirstFirst ... 181231271279280281282283291331 ... LastLast
Results 4,201 to 4,215 of 5009
    Speaking of trading a core player, what are the thoughts in the one listed among 7 blockbusters? Bryant for Adell, Canning and Cozart? I seriously doubt the Angels part with Adell.

Quote Originally Posted by La_bibbers View Post
    Robbie Ray is another name that's obviously gonna be available. He'd probably be cheaper too since he's only got a year of service time. He seems like the type you might be able to get for an Ademan package which would be nice.
    That would be nice, too.

Quote Originally Posted by rcal10 View Post
    Speaking of trading a core player, what are the thoughts in the one listed among 7 blockbusters? Bryant for Adell, Canning and Cozart? I seriously doubt the Angels part with Adell.
    It pretty much punts 2020 since Cozart is dead weight and he eats almost all the 2018 financial savings on KB. But Adell and Canning is very good value if they decide they are going to move him. Adell could be great and Canning has good stuff. I doubt LA does this. If LA would, the Cubs would have to be content with being worse in 2020.

2019 - 2020 Off Season Thread

NVM

Enviado desde mi iPhone utilizando Tapatalk
    Last edited by Dfan25; 11-29-2019 at 04:02 PM.

El Mago

The writer then says it would be the Angels who say no. It's an intriguing offer but not one the Cubs would say yes to, especially if Zach Cozart is part of the trade.

And that was part one of that scenario. The writer also said the Cubs would then trade Griffin with Nico to K.C. for Whit. So Bryant for Adell, an overpaid utility player in Cozart and a soon to be 31 year old Whit for Kris Bryant is not a trade something I, or more importantly the Cubs, would do.
    Last edited by Bluefire; 11-29-2019 at 04:14 PM.
    Screw sabermetics.

I think you'd have to jump at that deal if the Angels would do it. I don't think the Angels would though.

I like Alex Wood but only for the pen. Don't really see the need for McHugh, to me he would be redundant with Mills already on the team. Not even remotely interested in Teheran.
    Screw sabermetics.

Quote Originally Posted by CP_414 View Post
    It pretty much punts 2020 since Cozart is dead weight and he eats almost all the 2018 financial savings on KB. But Adell and Canning is very good value if they decide they are going to move him. Adell could be great and Canning has good stuff. I doubt LA does this. If LA would, the Cubs would have to be content with being worse in 2020.
    Would they have to be worse in 2020? I mean any more than any other deal? They would be filling a 5th rotation spot and centerfield very cheaply. If they want to contend wouldn’t they have about $5M more than they have now? Couldn’t they use all that money to sign Donaldson and a pen are or two? Bottom line is if they are going to move Bryant and not spend as they did in 19’ most likely they are not going to contend. Most assume that their plan is not to spend. But if they did go to the same level as last year they can make this sort of deal and still contend in 2020 if they did decide on Donaldson. Is Donaldson at 3rd, Adell in center and Channing a #5 starter, plus a better pen a non contending team?

Quote Originally Posted by Bluefire View Post
    The writer then says it would be the Angels who say no. It's an intriguing offer but not one the Cubs would say yes to, especially if Zach Cozart is part of the trade.

And that was part one of that scenario. The writer also said the Cubs would then trade Griffin with Nico to K.C. for Whit. So Bryant for Adell, an overpaid utility player in Cozart and a soon to be 31 year old Whit for Kris Bryant is not a trade something I, or more importantly the Cubs, would do.
    I don’t like the second part of the idea. But IMO if the cubs were offered that the first part of that deal they would take it. Adell is a top 5 prospect in the game and Channing a young, controlled starter. They have to eat 1 year of Cozart to get that value.

Would they have to be worse in 2020? I mean any more than any other deal? They would be filling a 5th rotation spot and centerfield very cheaply. If they want to contend wouldn’t they have about $5M more than they have now? Couldn’t they use all that money to sign Donaldson and a pen are or two? Bottom line is if they are going to move Bryant and not spend as they did in 19’ most likely they are not going to contend. Most assume that their plan is not to spend. But if they did go to the same level as last year they can make this sort of deal and still contend in 2020 if they did decide on Donaldson. Is Donaldson at 3rd, Adell in center and Channing a #5 starter, plus a better pen a non contending team?
    You are subtracting a 5-8 win player in Bryant at $18 mil and adding:
    - Adell, who might be a superstar but will likely open in AAA. He’d effectively be replacing Castellanos once he’s up with Heyward moving up RF.
    - Canning, who might become a good starter but who put up a 4.58/4.37/4.75 era/FIP/xfip in 2019 to replace Hamels.
    - Cozart who makes 12.67 mil in 2020 off a -14 wRC+ season (107 PAs, but negative 14) and an 83 wRC+ the year before. Combined negative .6 fWAR since going to Anaheim. Complete sunk cost who should just be DFA’d if this were to happen.

Yes, I think that makes them worse for 2020. It might be worth it in the long run if Adell turns into what people think he’ll turn into. But for the short term it’s a step back.
    Last edited by CP_414; 11-29-2019 at 06:16 PM.

This wouldn’t be my preferred move, but if we are looking for a big arm who has had bad results in an organization that might not know what they are doing I’d prefer this instead of Bundy.

https://twitter.com/cubsrelated/stat...294376449?s=21

You are subtracting a 5-8 win player in Bryant at $18 mil and adding:
    - Adell, who might be a superstar but will likely open in AAA. He’d effectively be replacing Castellanos once he’s up with Heyward moving up RF.
    - Canning, who might become a good starter but who put up a 4.58/4.37/4.75 era/FIP/xfip in 2019 to replace Hamels.
    - Cozart who makes 12.67 mil in 2020 off a -14 wRC+ season (107 PAs, but negative 14) and an 83 wRC+ the year before. Combined negative .6 fWAR since going to Anaheim. Complete sunk cost who should just be DFA’d if this were to happen.

Yes, I think that makes them worse for 2020. It might be worth it in the long run if Adell turns into what people think he’ll turn into. But for the short term it’s a step back.
    Bryant hasn't broken 5 war in 2 years. He was close last year, but I'm not sure that wasn't helped in part by the juiced ball. I'm not sure the Cubs are significantly worse overall. If someone wants to trade like he's an 8 win player, I think you have to do it

Quote Originally Posted by jfoley89 View Post
    Bryant hasn't broken 5 war in 2 years. He was close last year, but I'm not sure that wasn't helped in part by the juiced ball. I'm not sure the Cubs are significantly worse overall. If someone wants to trade like he's an 8 win player, I think you have to do it
    How would the juiced ball have helped him disproportionately? If anything he was hurt by the juiced ball because the league averages went up. He had a 4.8 fWAR despite playing so much corner outfield, where he sucked and got a worse positional value adjustment. He’s easily a 5 win 3b. Easily.

This wouldn’t be my preferred move, but if we are looking for a big arm who has had bad results in an organization that might not know what they are doing I’d prefer this instead of Bundy.

https://twitter.com/cubsrelated/stat...294376449?s=21
    Mentioned Ureña earlier today . I think it it would be an interesting pickup and a nice project if that is the way they want to do.

Enviado desde mi iPhone utilizando Tapatalk

El Mago