Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 20 of 334 FirstFirst ... 1018192021223070120 ... LastLast
    Would love a route where we dump as much salary as possible and go after Cole & re-sign Castellanos. Not the route I expect them to go or be able to do, but idk. Call me crazy, but I don't think this team needs a re-tool. And relief pitching is so volatile I'm almost fine with just going in with a bullpen led by our young high upside arms. Maybe bring back Strop if he'll take a team-friendly deal.

Quote Originally Posted by chibears55 View Post
    IMO it looking like 45% Girardi, 45% Ross, 10% Field for Cubs Manager

I think Girardi wants the job so bad he going to tell them everything he wants them to hear and be on page with how they want to run the team.. that my opinion
    What are you basing your opinion on? 45% Girardi????? I doubt that very much. Who cares if Girardi wants to manage the Cubs. I would bet there are a lot of people who want to manage the Cubs. Doesn't mean the Cubs want him. I would be very surprised if it was Girardi. Also, not sure I buy Ross as that likely either. But I do understand that POV.

Quote Originally Posted by rcal10 View Post
    What are you basing your opinion on? 45% Girardi????? I doubt that very much. Who cares if Girardi wants to manage the Cubs. I would bet there are a lot of people who want to manage the Cubs. Doesn't mean the Cubs want him. I would be very surprised if it was Girardi. Also, not sure I buy Ross as that likely either. But I do understand that POV.
    Iíd like to manage the Cubs.

Quote Originally Posted by La_bibbers View Post
    Would love a route where we dump as much salary as possible and go after Cole & re-sign Castellanos. Not the route I expect them to go or be able to do, but idk. Call me crazy, but I don't think this team needs a re-tool. And relief pitching is so volatile I'm almost fine with just going in with a bullpen led by our young high upside arms. Maybe bring back Strop if he'll take a team-friendly deal.
    You say dump as much salary as possible and then you don't think they need to retool. So are you saying dump someone like Q. I do not see Chatwood being dumped. Or at least not to save that much. And I really doubt the are able to move money with Heyward.
    Personally I tend to agree with you that the Cubs do not need to re-tool. I would love to get Castellanos and Cole and fill in with other players. But I do not think they have enough money even making some moves to save some money. Maybe Castellanos and Wheeler, plus whatever else the get low end buying? And, TBH, I doubt they do that little.
    I do agree with the notion that pen arms are volatile. And they can go with young guys to fill the pen.

Quote Originally Posted by chibears55 View Post
    IMO it looking like 45% Girardi, 45% Ross, 10% Field for Cubs Manager

I think Girardi wants the job so bad he going to tell them everything he wants them to hear and be on page with how they want to run the team.. that my opinion
    Heís going to tell them heíll work for $1 million and that heís not Joe Girardi?

Quote Originally Posted by CP_414 View Post
    Iíd like to manage the Cubs.
    Me too. And I would do it for a lot less than Girardi. Hell, if they asked I would do it for free.

Quote Originally Posted by rcal10 View Post
    You say dump as much salary as possible and then you don't think they need to retool. So are you saying dump someone like Q. I do not see Chatwood being dumped. Or at least not to save that much. And I really doubt the are able to move money with Heyward.
    Personally I tend to agree with you that the Cubs do not need to re-tool. I would love to get Castellanos and Cole and fill in with other players. But I do not think they have enough money even making some moves to save some money. Maybe Castellanos and Wheeler, plus whatever else the get low end buying? And, TBH, I doubt they do that little.
    I do agree with the notion that pen arms are volatile. And they can go with young guys to fill the pen.
    I'd be open to moving Q if it meant getting Cole. I don't think we'd need to dump him is the best part, there's bound to be some team that would value him. Ideally it's not necessary though.

Overall though, you got 20 mil from Hamels, another 10.5 from Morrow, and some smaller losses from Kintzler and Cishek. You can non-tender Addi and maybe Almora. I won't count Zobrist because his salary is essentially being moved to Kimrbel, but if you can get someone to take on even a couple million from Chatwood and dump Descalso I have to imagine that opens up significantly more than the arbitration salaries add on for us. I guess I haven't done the math, but that just feels like a lot of money to play around with. If all you're doing this off-season is signing Cole and Castellanos, and maybe Strop on a team-friendly deal, it seems like it should be possible to me. Obviously we're taking a gamble on a lot of youth in the bullpen, but idk. You're looking at an elite SP and a lineup that should score as many runs as any team in the league.

2019 - 2020 Off Season Thread

I'd be open to moving Q if it meant getting Cole. I don't think we'd need to dump him is the best part, there's bound to be some team that would value him. Ideally it's not necessary though.

Overall though, you got 20 mil from Hamels, another 10.5 from Morrow, and some smaller losses from Kintzler and Cishek. You can non-tender Addi and maybe Almora. I won't count Zobrist because his salary is essentially being moved to Kimrbel, but if you can get someone to take on even a couple million from Chatwood and dump Descalso I have to imagine that opens up significantly more than the arbitration salaries add on for us. I guess I haven't done the math, but that just feels like a lot of money to play around with. If all you're doing this off-season is signing Cole and Castellanos, and maybe Strop on a team-friendly deal, it seems like it should be possible to me. Obviously we're taking a gamble on a lot of youth in the bullpen, but idk. You're looking at an elite SP and a lineup that should score as many runs as any team in the league.
    Itís about $30 mil assuming theyíll spend back to the current payroll or slightly above it, they pick up Q, nontender or trade Russell and Almora, and my arb estimates are close. I donít think that number includes guys like Graveman or Phelps either. So if you move Q/Descalso, itís up to $40-$45 mil to play with if they can repeat this payroll.

Itís about $30 mil assuming theyíll spend back to the current payroll or slightly above it, they pick up Q, nontender or trade Russell and Almora, and my arb estimates are close. I donít think that number includes guys like Graveman or Phelps either. So if you move Q/Descalso, itís up to $40-$45 mil to play with if they can repeat this payroll.
    Sounds about right. So yeah, probably not enough without moving someone to spend on both Castellanos & Cole. This off-season sucks.

Sounds about right. So yeah, probably not enough without moving someone to spend on both Castellanos & Cole. This off-season sucks.
    Yep. I really think this offseason includes a Bryant trade. I think itís moving in that direction where they move KB for potentially impactful controllable pitchers, move Q, maybe trade Caratini for a reliever, dump some of the unproductive players and then hopefully use all of that $60 mil or so in free agency.

I think the team needs a re-tool but not a rebuild.

I think this off season is going to be great. I'm hoping for many changes. It's time to turn the page and bring in a lot of new faces to be the next champions.

I don't see Q back. I'm guessing that the last 2 guys in the rotation, barring any trades and going to be fought for by guys like, Graveman, Chatwood, Mills, Alzolay, etc. It may not look pretty, but they don't have money for starters, pen, and hitting. If Theo is true to his word, the staff is going to be much younger, and much cheaper.

Yep. I really think this offseason includes a Bryant trade. I think itís moving in that direction where they move KB for potentially impactful controllable pitchers, move Q, maybe trade Caratini for a reliever, dump some of the unproductive players and then hopefully use all of that $60 mil or so in free agency.
    Who the hell are they gonna trade KB for that makes it worth it?

Right on!

If Bryant does not agree to an extension and IF the Cubs can get what they want for Bryant I would agree with this. And if they do move Bryant I hope one of the pitchers is either in the majors already, maybe 1 or at most 2 years, or a guy they expect to put in the rotation out of spring training. At $60M or more, I would like to see the Cubs re-up Castellanos and sign Donaldson. That would eat about $35 to $40M of the $60M. use the rest for bench depth and pen arms(Pomerenz for one) . IMO, that team still competes next year, provided who they get for Bryant turns into a good pick up. If they have a little extra spend it trying to sign Javi long term.
    For me, that would not be a sucky off season.