Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 13 of 334 FirstFirst ... 311121314152363113 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by ILMindState View Post
    Yikes I was hoping he interviewed poorly and we decided not to offer him the job. Reds are still kicking our *** this year even after the season is over.
    This is quite surprising. I would feel better had we not even offered him a position because we had a better option rather than getting outbid for him. Iím sure Theo knows more about what he can bring than what we are speculating, so I trust he made the right decision by letting the Reds outbid us. But going by his comments yesterday about willing to do whatever it takes to get the best guys in the system to develop players, while considering we offered Boddy the position, itís really a shock we didnít get our guy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Just to add on to the Trae Turner discussion a bit: After looking further in depth, we absolutely shouldnít have to add to a package of Kris Bryant for Turner. However, I donít see what Washington would gain by doing it. KB likely isnít going to sign an extension regardless of where he plays. Turner is controlled for one more year for less money than KB will cost. Now KB will likely out produce Turner by a little bit, but I donít see it being enough that the Nats will pull the trigger. They can just let Kieboom play and he will virtually replace some of the production they will miss if Rendon walks and they can try to lock up Soto and just keep Turner and still be a competitor.

Itís so hard to speculate on this without knowing exactly what Theo wants to do. Does he want only pitching prospects in a trade for KB? Does he want to do a straight up deal like a KB for Turner to get a better contact bat in the lineup and then spend in free agency to help this team? I just donít have a clue.

I think everything depends whether or not he wants to get under the luxury tax for next year. If we knew that that wasnít a big deal it would help us understand which direction he might want to go in trades.

https://twitter.com/drivelinebases/s...933467136?s=21

Quote Originally Posted by ivyboys View Post
    The more I read about Boddy the man I think the Cubs dodged a bullet.
    Screw sabermetics.

Quote Originally Posted by Bluefire View Post
    The more I read about Boddy the man I think the Cubs dodged a bullet.
    Yeah I think something to that degree was mentioned on here before when his name popped up.

Hire Derek Johnson as Manager please

Quote Originally Posted by WOwolfOL View Post
    Hire Derek Johnson as Manager please
    I feel like it will be Ross. I just donít know if heís the right choice. I just keep thinking about how comfortable the team will be heading into ST knowing Ross is the manager. For me I would think coming into ST, with a manager that I didnít know, would make me work harder and make me feel like I had something to prove.

I donít want Joe Girardi, but I donít necessarily want a guy that makes these guys super comfortable either like I think Ross would. He would either be the perfect choice or a very bad choice IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by ivyboys View Post
    This is quite surprising. I would feel better had we not even offered him a position because we had a better option rather than getting outbid for him. Iím sure Theo knows more about what he can bring than what we are speculating, so I trust he made the right decision by letting the Reds outbid us. But going by his comments yesterday about willing to do whatever it takes to get the best guys in the system to develop players, while considering we offered Boddy the position, itís really a shock we didnít get our guy.

It might not have been money. Maybe the Cubs wouldnít let him stay at Driveline.

Quote Originally Posted by CP_414 View Post
    It might not have been money. Maybe the Cubs wouldnít let him stay at Driveline.
    Possible. I mean he obviously isnít going to work with any other big leaguers. Surely that wasnít the breaking point. Who knows... maybe they just didnít like him as a person, since that has come up a couple of times. It could be a number of different reasons it didnít work out.

Quote Originally Posted by CP_414 View Post
    Could be. His tweet says something also

I had a lot of interest, and multiple offers. The direction the Reds are going blew me away. Throughout the two months of interviewing, the Reds' opportunity just *felt right*.

Who knows

IMO one of the biggest problems in the last couple of years is that the Cubs have relied too much on analytics. I love analytics, but there's also something to be said about intangibles like experience. Joe never played at the big league level. Hottovy was a minor league pitcher that pitched like 13 total innings in the MLB, i'm not sure how someone like that is going to give someone like Jon Lester or Cole Hamels any advice on how to pitch. I like Hottovy as a coach, not as the main pitching coach. That's ultimately on Theo based on the team and coaching staff he built. As is relying on OBP and OPS as the be-all end-all of offensive performance when the team can't make any contact, or hit a ball in the hole, or move a runner over, or perform a hit-and-run. When you build an offense based on walks and homeruns, that's what you're going to get and not much else.

Maddon would also treat his players like analytics robots. He would play players at several different position in the field without realizing that if a player hasn't played much at a certain position they won't perform at their optimum level at that position. You can't just ie. plug Happ in at 2nd or 3rd base and expect him not to make mistakes. This is one of the reasons the Cubs had so many errors. These guys are human.

Just like you can't expect Kimbrel etc. to perform like their normal stats say immediately after you take them off the IL. You need to work guys in. They're human, not chess pieces.

If not Girardi, then we need a manager that knows what it takes to be a winning player at the MLB level and can show these players how to do that. Someone who has been deep in the trenches. I used to yell at Dusty Baker for knowing nothing about stats/analytics, well you need to know the game on the field like he did but also something about analytics.
    Last edited by Stratos; 10-01-2019 at 08:03 PM.

Well I sure wish I was watching the Cubs take on mad max right now... with that said letís go Nats

Grandal takes Scherzer deep. Maybe we should sign him *sigh*

Quote Originally Posted by Stratos View Post
    IMO one of the biggest problems in the last couple of years is that the Cubs have relied too much on analytics. I love analytics, but there's also something to be said about intangibles like experience. Joe never played at the big league level. Hottovy was a minor league pitcher that pitched like 13 total innings in the MLB, i'm not sure how someone like that is going to give someone like Jon Lester or Cole Hamels any advice on how to pitch. I like Hottovy as a coach, not as the main pitching coach. That's ultimately on Theo based on the team and coaching staff he built. As is relying on OBP and OPS as the be-all end-all of offensive performance when the team can't make any contact, or hit a ball in the hole, or move a runner over, or perform a hit-and-run. When you build an offense based on walks and homeruns, that's what you're going to get and not much else.

Maddon would also treat his players like analytics robots. He would play players at several different position in the field without realizing that if a player hasn't played much at a certain position they won't perform at their optimum level at that position. You can't just ie. plug Happ in at 2nd or 3rd base and expect him not to make mistakes. This is one of the reasons the Cubs had so many errors. These guys are human.

Just like you can't expect Kimbrel etc. to perform like their normal stats say immediately after you take them off the IL. You need to work guys in. They're human, not chess pieces.

If not Girardi, then we need a manager that knows what it takes to be a winning player at the MLB level and can show these players how to do that. Someone who has been deep in the trenches. I used to yell at Dusty Baker for knowing nothing about stats/analytics, well you need to know the game on the field like he did but also something about analytics.
    I honestly never heard Joe get criticized for treating the players as ďrobotsĒ
    The way he handles players and the clubhouse is considered his best attribute by many. He played guys at many different positions because a lack of depth on the roster, and in guys like Happís case, itís part of the reason theyíre on the team.
    And they donít need to be shown how to be winning players. Most of all of them have a ring to prove it.
    Last edited by Cubboy; 10-01-2019 at 08:39 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Stratos View Post

I think Hottovy is a hidden gem. Iíve really liked what Iíve seen from him. Some people really understand the game. You donít have to be a star player to be a good coach/manager. Judging Hottovy by what he did as a player is ridiculous. He didnít get this opportunity by being a dumb***. From everything Iíve read and seen from him, heís a really smart guy.