Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 110 of 334 FirstFirst ... 1060100108109110111112120160210 ... LastLast
Results 1,636 to 1,650 of 5009
    Quote Originally Posted by chibears55 View Post
    I'm not saying they will or wont, just saying that they can if they wanted too..

There really nothing keeping them from going over the high threshold other then that they dont want to spend that extra money in penalties..
    Yes, but they wonít do it. Nobody will. And itís not that tax is too burdensome, itís the the owners effectively got a salary cap in the form of a player tax and they arenít going to give that up by blowing past it. If one owner goes by it regularly then others will be pressured to do the same. If nobody does then they can spend less and still have a top payroll. Itís collusion without it being collusion. Implied collusion.

Quote Originally Posted by CP_414 View Post
    Yes, but they wonít do it. Nobody will. And itís not that tax is too burdensome, itís the the owners effectively got a salary cap in the form of a player tax and they arenít going to give that up by blowing past it. If one owner goes by it regularly then others will be pressured to do the same. If nobody does then they can spend less and still have a top payroll. Itís collusion without it being collusion. Implied collusion.
    Yeah, here's the thing about rich dudes: they like profit maximization. It's a big reason why they're rich (along with luck, of course). As far as owners go, Ricketts hasn't been too bad financially. He's willing to pay the luxury tax *sometimes*. But baseball ownership as a collective just sets that bar so goddamn low.

Quote Originally Posted by NoChiInChamp View Post
    I'm not quite sure how much they'll change. They're still in the awkward position where they're up around the luxury tax, their major league assets don't have much surplus value (and thus not a ton of value on the market), and they're still in a position where they need to be competing since the division isn't very strong. It'll be interesting to see how they can change the roster for the better given these conditions.
    I donít think they tear down or anything, but Iím guessing:

- at least 1 of the core 4 are traded. Those 4 do have a lot of surplus value, even the higher paid ones.
    - 1-2 new pitchers in the rotation added
    - 2+ new relievers are added, including at least 1 they project for leverage innings
    - a couple contact/obp oriented bats added
    - maybe some pitching prospects added

Itíll be challenging, but thereís a dual efforts offseason out there that allows them to still compete in 2020 and bring in younger pitching to position themselves better for the next few years.

I donít care which guy ends up getting the job. I want the person the FO is comfortable with, the person who will help continue player development at the mlb level, the person who can own the room, and the person who makes smart in game decisions. Whoever that person is, hire him.
    All of this!

They arenít going over the top tax tier line. We can dream all we want. We can complain all we want. They arenít going to do it. The question is if theyíll go over the 2nd tier again or the first tier or neither.
    I'm pretty sure they didn't go over the 2nd tier this year. They were at 239.9 million. Is the second tier not 246 million, or is that the 3rd tier?

EDIT: If I'm understanding this right, the second threshold is 226-246. If that's the case, the Cubs went over the second number.
    Last edited by thawv; 10-18-2019 at 04:33 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by thawv View Post
    I'm pretty sure they didn't go over the 2nd tier this year. They were at 239.9 million. Is the second tier not 246 million, or is that the 3rd tier?
    That was the 3rd/top tier. If I remember right the 2nd tier was in the upper 220s.

That was the 3rd/top tier. If I remember right the 2nd tier was in the upper 220s.
    I just looked it up and edited my post.

The second tier is 20-40 million over. (226-246)

I just looked it up and edited my post.

The second tier is 20-40 million over. (226-246)
    The 2nd tier shouldnít matter at all. I think if they are willing to go into the tax, they might as well go up to the top tier without going over. The difference between the first tier tax and the 2nd tier tax is a relatively small amount of money. So unless they donít go over at all, Iíd expect they stay between the 2nd/3rd tier.

The 2nd tier shouldnít matter at all. I think if they are willing to go into the tax, they might as well go up to the top tier without going over. The difference between the first tier tax and the 2nd tier tax is a relatively small amount of money. So unless they donít go over at all, Iíd expect they stay between the 2nd/3rd tier.
    I hope so.

Theo said that the CBT has nothing to do with their payroll spending though. According the him, going over the threshold is not the issue. Having the money to spend is the issue. It's more like wanting to spend.

I hope so.

Theo said that the CBT has nothing to do with their payroll spending though. According the him, going over the threshold is not the issue. Having the money to spend is the issue. It's more like wanting to spend.
    If Theo said that the CBT did affect payroll, people would give him a ton of ****. It's just easier to say that it's not a factor and that you played the market in a way that was most beneficial to the Cubs when weighing the short and long term. PR 101.

Quote Originally Posted by NoChiInChamp View Post
    If Theo said that the CBT did affect payroll, people would give him a ton of ****. It's just easier to say that it's not a factor and that you played the market in a way that was most beneficial to the Cubs when weighing the short and long term. PR 101.
    Hahaha........you're probably right

Boone comes out to see if Paxton is still good after 110 pitches, Paxton stays in and almost gives up a 2-run HR on the next pitch. That would have been such a Baseball thing to happen if he gave up the home run.

Quote Originally Posted by JHBulls View Post
    Boone comes out to see if Paxton is still good after 110 pitches, Paxton stays in and almost gives up a 2-run HR on the next pitch. That would have been such a Baseball thing to happen if he gave up the home run.
    Yeah that was funny. I thought it was gone.

Huge! Heading to Houston tomorrow (usually day off after a Game 5), so wonít face Verlander again this series. New York can still win this series.

Quote Originally Posted by JHBulls View Post
    Huge! Heading to Houston tomorrow (usually day off after a Game 5), so wonít face Verlander again this series. New York can still win this series.
    The Yankees do have a shot, but theyíll have to do the same to Cole tomorrow like they did to Verlander tonight.

Definitely not an easy task, the way Cole is pitching in October

2016 World Series Champions!!!