Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 11 of 334 FirstFirst ... 9101112132161111 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by CP_414 View Post
    No offense to North, but I donít think heís connected. Iím guessing he was talking about that series of tweets by the BN Cubs prospects guy that focused mostly on consistent language through pitching development.

I tried to listen to that podcast a bunch of times but couldnít stick with it. I just didnít like the format they used for all the episodes I heard. One guy would talk for 5-7 min, then the next guy would talk for 5-7 min, then the next one. Maybe it got a lot better this year but it drove me crazy that they were just exchanging speeches instead of having a conversation.

I think pointing out their pitching development has been behind some other teams is fair, but thereís nothing that could have been done last winter that would have changed 2019 and we donít really know everything theyíve changed.
    Which is not even the point I was making. This all started because someone mentioned how much they love Theo's accountability and didn't like how Joe apparently never said anything negative. My point is that Theo talks a big talk about being accountable and to date hasn't made real changes to his front office besides the pitch lab and giving one of his friends a different SVP title. They may do other things in the future but if he was truly as accountable as he says he is we would have seen many more changes to the front office and development staff last off-season (if not before then). Maybe this year he will be but in the past he really hasn't been all that much.

Quote Originally Posted by TheRealTI View Post
    Which is not even the point I was making. This all started because someone mentioned how much they love Theo's accountability and didn't like how Joe apparently never said anything negative. My point is that Theo talks a big talk about being accountable and to date hasn't made real changes to his front office besides the pitch lab and giving one of his friends a different SVP title. They may do other things in the future but if he was truly as accountable as he says he is we would have seen many more changes to the front office and development staff last off-season (if not before then). Maybe this year he will be but in the past he really hasn't been all that much.
    I disagree with his criticism of Joe and with yours of Theo.

Quote Originally Posted by thawv View Post
    Well, they play different positions. A third baseman should have a higher OPS.

I know you suggested it. I jumped on, and now I don't want to get off.

If we are looking at it from Washington's point of view, I highly doubt that they would consider giving up a year of control, adding an additional 14 million to their payroll, losing 3 years of age, and losing a premium position player, for two years and 45 million for a third baseman.

Just my opinion
    I understand your POV. And, as I said, I would make the deal. But I think it is much fairer than you are suggesting.

Quick question thawv, because you seem to be fixated on salary. Who is more valuable, Bryant or Contreras? Who brings more back in a trade?

Quote Originally Posted by rcal10 View Post
    I understand your POV. And, as I said, I would make the deal. But I think it is much fairer than you are suggesting.

Quick question thawv, because you seem to be fixated on salary. Who is more valuable, Bryant or Contreras? Who brings more back in a trade?
    I'm not fixated on salary. Salary is a huge thing with the Cubs. It's a huge issue, so it has to be part of a trade. They don't want to spend any more money. That's clear. In this case, this season, getting an all star SS and saving 14 million seems like a big win. Move Javi to 3B and use that 14 million on another need. It's a dream trade.

About the Willy/KB thing. Obviously it matters who we would be trading with. A team dying for a catcher, or a team dying for a third baseman. A team that's trying to save money, or a team that money is no object. A team with money that needs a third baseman makes KB more valuable in a trade. A penny pinching teams with catching needs makes Willy more valuable.

I don't know how to figure trad value for a player. I don't know how to figure surplus value. So all I have is my opinion. I'd love to learn though.

So, does anybody else think that picking up Graveman's 3 million option is a great idea?

Before his surgery he was a pretty solid back of the rotation guy. League average ERA. Be nice to have a 3 million dollar starting pitcher. Sits in the low to mid 90's with his FB. A true 4 pitch pitcher. Pretty good control. Induces a lot of soft contact, and lots of GB's.

The Cubs should be watching him throw right now. They only have about a month to make a decision.

So, does anybody else think that picking up Graveman's 3 million option is a great idea?

Before his surgery he was a pretty solid back of the rotation guy. League average ERA. Be nice to have a 3 million dollar starting pitcher. Sits in the low to mid 90's with his FB. A true 4 pitch pitcher. Pretty good control. Induces a lot of soft contact, and lots of GB's.

The Cubs should be watching him throw right now. They only have about a month to make a decision.
    Didn't he get in a minor league playoff game? I am sure they are checking him out. They signed him for this very reason last year.

I'm not fixated on salary. Salary is a huge thing with the Cubs. It's a huge issue, so it has to be part of a trade. They don't want to spend any more money. That's clear. In this case, this season, getting an all star SS and saving 14 million seems like a big win. Move Javi to 3B and use that 14 million on another need. It's a dream trade.

About the Willy/KB thing. Obviously it matters who we would be trading with. A team dying for a catcher, or a team dying for a third baseman. A team that's trying to save money, or a team that money is no object. A team with money that needs a third baseman makes KB more valuable in a trade. A penny pinching teams with catching needs makes Willy more valuable.

I don't know how to figure trad value for a player. I don't know how to figure surplus value. So all I have is my opinion. I'd love to learn though.
    I'm looking at all the MLB teams and trying to think of a team that is serious about contending next year that could potentially look for an upgrade at 3B. Angels, Phillies, and Mets are the only teams I can think of. Rays would be another team but trading for someone like KB doesn't seem like something they would do.

Quote Originally Posted by ILMindState View Post
    I'm looking at all the MLB teams and trying to think of a team that is serious about contending next year that could potentially look for an upgrade at 3B. Angels, Phillies, and Mets are the only teams I can think of. Rays would be another team but trading for someone like KB doesn't seem like something they would do.
    If it is the Phillies and the Cubs are serious about getting young arms how about Eflin, Bohm and Howard or Medina. Gives the Cubs a guy they put directly into the rotation and another guy close. Also give them a future 3rd baseman. Then sign Donaldson.

2019 - 2020 Off Season Thread

Rays, Twins, Braves (Donaldson is a FA), Nats (Rendon), White Sox? (Could move Moncada back to 2b or someone to the outfield), Yankees?.

Rays, Twins, Braves (Donaldson is a FA), Nats (Rendon), White Sox? (Could move Moncada back to 2b or someone to the outfield), Yankees?.
    I was just going to put a few of those teams in the mix as well. And, if the Phillies trade idea is not liked I am sure among the other teams something similar can be made up. A ready now pitcher, and pitcher ready maybe in 21 and maybe a good prospect, bat. Braves, I am sure, have that sort of mix.

I had FG organized by 3B WAR and completely forgot about Donaldson and Rendon being FA. White Sox might be a good fit for Contreras. They have trouble signing free agents and I think they're going to try to make a big name splash this off season to accelerate their rebuild and bring in fans.

Didn't he get in a minor league playoff game? I am sure they are checking him out. They signed him for this very reason last year.
    Yes. He's thrown 6 innings this year.

What about Washington?

Yes. He's thrown 6 innings this year.
    I am sure they are monitoring him. I would think if he is healthy and they are convinced of that, they will pick up his option. As I said, I am pretty sure that was the plan when they signed him last year.

I am sure they are monitoring him. I would think if he is healthy and they are convinced of that, they will pick up his option. As I said, I am pretty sure that was the plan when they signed him last year.
    You are right. I think he gets a real shot at the rotation next year.

Page 11 of 334 FirstFirst ... 9101112132161111 ... LastLast