Like us on Facebook


Follow us on Twitter





Page 222 of 327 FirstFirst ... 122172212220221222223224232272322 ... LastLast
Results 3,316 to 3,330 of 4904
  1. #3316
    Join Date
    Jul 2018
    Posts
    4,069
    Quote Originally Posted by CubsRule08 View Post
    Sounds like itís not completely out of the question that Bryant wonít extend with the Cubs.

    Letís find a way to get a deal done and end this trade nonsense
    I feel theyll talk between now and the winter meetings and if they cant come to an agreement then the trade may happen

  2. #3317
    Join Date
    Oct 2018
    Posts
    2,111
    Quote Originally Posted by CubsRule08 View Post
    Sounds like itís not completely out of the question that Bryant wonít extend with the Cubs.

    Letís find a way to get a deal done and end this trade nonsense
    Pay the man, Theo. I would love to have KB end his career as a Cub. Lock him up and move Contreras for the young pitching we need. Amaya will be ready in 2021. Add some good relievers to help out an aging rotation.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  3. #3318
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    8,719
    Quote Originally Posted by ivyboys View Post
    Pay the man, Theo. I would love to have KB end his career as a Cub. Lock him up and move Contreras for the young pitching we need. Amaya will be ready in 2021. Add some good relievers to help out an aging rotation.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    That seems to be asking an awful lot without trading a couple of major pieces, combined with not having money they are willing to spend

  4. #3319
    Join Date
    Oct 2018
    Posts
    2,111
    Quote Originally Posted by thawv View Post
    That seems to be asking an awful lot without trading a couple of major pieces, combined with not having money they are willing to spend
    Maybe so. Thereís always the option of running close to the same team back out there and hoping Nico can step in and help out, along with Schwarber finally putting it all together, and possibly Happ can put together a full season of the version he showed late this year or close to it.

    My hat goes off to Theo. I couldnít do it. I honestly donít know what direction we should go. All scenarios have been discussed here and by everybody that follows the Cubs. I got the impression that the main reason KB has been discussed in trade talks was because he only has 2 years left and doesnít seem to want to sign an extension. If he would take Arenado money, and we donít pull the trigger, it makes you wonder how the FO really values KB. If thatís the case then this offseason looks more like a ďretool,Ē right?


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  5. #3320
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Posts
    6,861
    I canít believe Gabe Kapler got another rodeo as a Manager.. That dude is seriously clueless

  6. #3321
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    13,953
    Quote Originally Posted by ivyboys View Post
    Pay the man, Theo. I would love to have KB end his career as a Cub. Lock him up and move Contreras for the young pitching we need. Amaya will be ready in 2021. Add some good relievers to help out an aging rotation.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

    This is what I would rather see. Then trade Q for some money. The pitcher the cubs get for Contreras filling that spot. Let the 5th spot be won by someone here already. Should be enough money to get an outfielder and a pen arm or two and go with it. Probably canít sign NC, but I feel they can get someone useful. And maybe they would have enough for NC if they deal Q. I just hope their plan is to at least spend like 2019.

  7. #3322
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    8,719
    Quote Originally Posted by ivyboys View Post
    Maybe so. Thereís always the option of running close to the same team back out there and hoping Nico can step in and help out, along with Schwarber finally putting it all together, and possibly Happ can put together a full season of the version he showed late this year or close to it.

    My hat goes off to Theo. I couldnít do it. I honestly donít know what direction we should go. All scenarios have been discussed here and by everybody that follows the Cubs. I got the impression that the main reason KB has been discussed in trade talks was because he only has 2 years left and doesnít seem to want to sign an extension. If he would take Arenado money, and we donít pull the trigger, it makes you wonder how the FO really values KB. If thatís the case then this offseason looks more like a ďretool,Ē right?


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I keep asking myself, what if they give KB what he wants and that leaves them no money to make the team good after 2021. Now they have X amount of years left of KB at a very high cost and no talent around him.

    Without specifically mentioning any names, it's pretty clear what the Cubs intentions are this off season

    ďThis was coming. Itís not like it was going to be one generation of players and thatís it. We knew, when a lot of our best players were cost-controlled, those were the years we could squeeze the most amount of talent on the roster, and there would be difficult decisions and change ahead at some point. Weíre just rapidly approaching that time, thatís all.Ē

  8. #3323
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Posts
    10,306
    Quote Originally Posted by thawv View Post
    I keep asking myself, what if they give KB what he wants and that leaves them no money to make the team good after 2021. Now they have X amount of years left of KB at a very high cost and no talent around him.

    Without specifically mentioning any names, it's pretty clear what the Cubs intentions are this off season

    ďThis was coming. Itís not like it was going to be one generation of players and thatís it. We knew, when a lot of our best players were cost-controlled, those were the years we could squeeze the most amount of talent on the roster, and there would be difficult decisions and change ahead at some point. Weíre just rapidly approaching that time, thatís all.Ē
    The Cubs have $60 mil committed for 2022. They could give KB $30+ and have over $150 million left to spend.

  9. #3324
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Addison, IL
    Posts
    22,102
    Quote Originally Posted by CP_414 View Post
    The Cubs have $60 mil committed for 2022. They could give KB $30+ and have over $150 million left to spend.
    This.

    2016 World Series Champions!!!


  10. #3325
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Puerto Rico
    Posts
    13,159
    Reds interested in NC


    Enviado desde mi iPhone utilizando Tapatalk

  11. #3326
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    2,957
    Itís not greed... itís business. And both the players and the owners are looking to maximize their profit. And both have good arguments for why they make the amounts they make. Owners take all the risk and as such get a higher percentage of the reward. Players have the product that the owners want. The problem with only having the product is that other people have the product as well.

    You may have a better product but if you canít get it on the shelf at Walmart itís worthless.

    Anyone saying that the owners are greedy, without acknowledging the players are greedy as well, is just showing their personal bias towards one side.

  12. #3327
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    13,953
    Quote Originally Posted by The20thK View Post
    Itís not greed... itís business. And both the players and the owners are looking to maximize their profit. And both have good arguments for why they make the amounts they make. Owners take all the risk and as such get a higher percentage of the reward. Players have the product that the owners want. The problem with only having the product is that other people have the product as well.

    You may have a better product but if you canít get it on the shelf at Walmart itís worthless.

    Anyone saying that the owners are greedy, without acknowledging the players are greedy as well, is just showing their personal bias towards one side.
    I get what you are saying. However if the owners used to share a higher percent of the revenues then they do now, and at that higher percent they made a nice profit and the game grew why would the players be considered greedy if they want to get back to that level? Why is an employee greedy if he says he deserves more money? I understand if the business owner is losing money or his profits were cut, asking for more can appear greedy. But that is not the case here.

  13. #3328
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    54,764
    I don't disagree that "everyone" is greedy in the sense that they are looking for the most of the pie they can get. You can say this about literally every employer/employee relationship.

    But I do have to ask...exactly what risks are owners incurring in today's MLB? The MLB is essentially a monopoly in every major market (outside of three in which there's one competitor, but these markets are the three largest, so it's still massive). The MLB isn't going anywhere any time soon. They make profits hand over fist on the year to year value of their franchise. They don't even have to really buy a stadium any more as they've basically been able to trick the tax payers to pay for a stadium for them, which they then make the profits off of. As an MLB owner...where's the risk? You can say "well they have to pay these players and hope they perform", but let's look at the Heyward contract...do you really think Rickett's is feeling any sort of negative financial gain over that $200m? He still sets a budget. So even when a contract goes bad, he's not really feeling anything. The true profit, anyways, is in the year to year value increase, and not the day to day profits. Because the franchise has only continued to increase in value, the Cubs now even have their own TV Channel...

    I think it's incredibly low risk. There is almost no more safe business venture than to own a professional sports team in one of the stable associations. It would take a catastrophic event that we really haven't seen in American sports to really have any downside. Buying a franchise, for example, like the Cubs, is basically just letting your money grow organically with very little fear of losing anything.

    I'd argue that the players take far more risk on a daily basis both to their future financial gains and to their well beings than an owner ever has financially. It's hard to say that the players are "underpaid" when we look at the average paycheck for Americans, but that's not really fair, here. The question should always be; are the players being paid a high enough amount of the financial gain that they create? I'd say that's a pretty hard no right now when you consider everything. Sure, it may be "greedy", but they are the ones in my estimation who are really risking something and they're the one actually providing the entertainment value people are paying for. They *are* the product. An owner just puts money forward now so that down the road, they'll get more money.
    Last edited by 1908_Cubs; 11-14-2019 at 09:24 AM.

  14. #3329
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Posts
    10,306

    2019 - 2020 Off Season Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by The20thK View Post
    Itís not greed... itís business. And both the players and the owners are looking to maximize their profit. And both have good arguments for why they make the amounts they make. Owners take all the risk and as such get a higher percentage of the reward. Players have the product that the owners want. The problem with only having the product is that other people have the product as well.

    You may have a better product but if you canít get it on the shelf at Walmart itís worthless.

    Anyone saying that the owners are greedy, without acknowledging the players are greedy as well, is just showing their personal bias towards one side.
    What risk? This isnít a mom and pop grocery store. There is zero risk. Itís a legal monopoly. Itís impossible to lose on the investment in mlb ownership. Even the most incompetent owner will make billions. Frank McCourt bought the Dodgers in 2004 for $430 million. He literally drove them to the point of filing for bankruptcy and mlb had to step in and oversee his running of the team. Then he sold in 2010 for $2 billion, and extra $150 million for land around Dodger Stadium and he gets $14 mil annually for the team to rent parking lots from him. He was as bad a mlb owner as anyone can be and made huge profits. Risk, lol.

    Any faceless billionaire can own a team and be very profitable over the course of their ownership. The industry only works if the product is good and the product is the players. Nobody else has that product.
    Last edited by CP_414; 11-14-2019 at 09:37 AM.

  15. #3330
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    1,028
    Quote Originally Posted by PeanutPunch33 View Post
    I canít believe Gabe Kapler got another rodeo as a Manager.. That dude is seriously clueless
    I think he gets a bad rap as a manager. My bigger concern would be the handling of sexual abuse by his minor leaguers when he was overseeing them with the Dodgers. That's why I was reluctant for him to have anything to do with the Cubs.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •