Like us on Facebook


Follow us on Twitter





Page 196 of 210 FirstFirst ... 96146186194195196197198206 ... LastLast
Results 2,926 to 2,940 of 3146
  1. #2926
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    8,463
    Quote Originally Posted by ugottabjoshinme View Post
    I think he'd have no problem staying if he got the same money from the Cubs that he would get from another potential team in free agency.
    I think he's going to take the most money, regardless of what team it is.

    If he had two identical offers, and one was from the Cubs, I think he would leave.

  2. #2927
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    13,774
    Quote Originally Posted by thawv View Post
    I think he's going to take the most money, regardless of what team it is.

    If he had two identical offers, and one was from the Cubs, I think he would leave.
    That is where we differ. I think all being equal he stays.

  3. #2928
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    8,463
    Quote Originally Posted by rcal10 View Post
    That is where we differ. I think all being equal he stays.
    Plus, you're older than me!

  4. #2929
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    2,836
    When comparing available free agent starting pitchers that we could actually sign...is there anyone out there that has a MUCH better chance than Chatwood of putting together a serviceable year? I mean, heís already on the roster... why sign another flawed pitcher and spend twice the money for a pitcher who isnít much better than what we have?

    The only way I see to upgrade the starting pitching is to trade away a bat... not interested in that either. However, as much as I donít want KB to leave, I think he is the least likely to sign and therefore the most likely to to get traded.

    Whatís the thinking on Contreras in LF?

  5. #2930
    Join Date
    Jul 2018
    Posts
    3,968
    Quote Originally Posted by NoChiInChamp View Post
    The Cubs aren't going to have 4 stars, 4 very good/good players, and league average bench players. You're basically asking this team to leap into Astros/Dodgers territory in one offseason, in which they probably won't spend that much money. That's not going to happen. You can have an average bat platooning for like 15% of your 2B PAs.
    Curious how you rank these guys in those 3 categories

    Would think Rizzo Bryant and Baez are considered stars in MLB


    Contreras and Schwarber may be average to slightly above average

    Heyward is average to slightly below average

    Everyone else offensively on roster now are probably average to below,, that pretty much the problem in my eyes with the team now, too many average to below average players

  6. #2931
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Posts
    3,822
    Quote Originally Posted by chibears55 View Post
    Curious how you rank these guys in those 3 categories

    Would think Rizzo Bryant and Baez are considered stars in MLB


    Contreras and Schwarber may be average to slightly above average

    Heyward is average to slightly below average

    Everyone else offensively on roster now are probably average to below,, that pretty much the problem in my eyes with the team now, too many average to below average players
    Of those you listed, from strictly an offensive standpoint, Rizzo and Bryant were very good to star. Probably Contreras, too. Schwarber and Baez were good. Heyward grades out as really close to average.
    Last edited by Cubboy; 11-08-2019 at 02:38 PM.

  7. #2932
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Posts
    10,089

    2019 - 2020 Off Season Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by thawv View Post
    Fair enough.

    How do you avoid not giving 1100 PA's to these type of players? I would say by getting different players. That's where the challenge comes from. Especially since they don't have the money.
    You avoid it by building depth. I donít think they have $0 to spend. The only thing that has been indicated is that they arenít going to be involved with the top of the market. You can get Kendrick for a $6-8 mil AAV. You can probably get a guy like Brock Holt for a $5-7 mil AAV. You might be able to get Akiyama to mlb for $3-6 mil in AAV. Rcal has mention Avi Garvia as a bench option. I think Matt Joyce is a free agent? You can find some cheap short term solutions to build depth without impacting the core players. If you turn 700 of those 1100+ PAs into PAs by average or better hitters thatís worth a handful of wins.

  8. #2933
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    8,463
    Quote Originally Posted by CP_414 View Post
    You avoid it by building depth. I donít think they have $0 to spend. The only thing that has been indicated is that they arenít going to be involved with the top of the market. You can get Kendrick for a $6-8 mil AAV. You can probably get a guy like Brock Holt for a $5-7 mil AAV. You might be able to get Akiyama to mlb for $3-6 mil in AAV. Rcal has mention Avi Garvia as a bench option. I think Matt Joyce is a free agent? You can find some cheap short term solutions to build depth without impacting the core players. If you turn 700 of those 1100+ PAs into PAs by average or better hitters thatís worth a handful of wins.
    When you mention depth, are you referring to the bench? That's how I view depth.

    I've said it many times before, I think the best way to create depth is to put a couple of current starters on the bench, and replace them with better players.

  9. #2934
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Addison, IL
    Posts
    21,965
    How about this for the top of the lineup in 2020: Whit Merrifield, Nicholas Castellanos, Kris Bryant, Anthony Rizzo, Javier Baez and Willson Contreras. Your thoughts? - Gary Willbur

    Merrifield will be a priority this winter, and thereís a match with the Royals involving a combination of an outfielder and infielder. I would expect the Castellanos free-agent sweepstakes to last well past the winter meetings, but I think the Cubs have a decent chance of re-signing him.
    This is from an article by Mark Gonzales of the Chicago Tribune


    https://www.chicagotribune.com/sport...vj4-story.html

    2016 World Series Champions!!!


  10. #2935
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Posts
    10,089

    2019 - 2020 Off Season Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by thawv View Post
    When you mention depth, are you referring to the bench? That's how I view depth.

    I've said it many times before, I think the best way to create depth is to put a couple of current starters on the bench, and replace them with better players.
    Weíve been through this thawv. When you say ďa couple startersĒ you mean ďHeyward.Ē Who else would it be? They donít have regular starters in CF or 2b. You arenít talking about Schwarber, Rizzo, KB, Javy, Contreras.

    Depth is the bench and the rotational players. Theyíll have 12-13 position players depending on the roster size. So go into the season with 10-12 decent or better hitters and you have depth. Ideally theyíll have low cost capable replacements in Iowa, but they donít really have that now so they need to add depth at the mlb level. Itís the Almora, Descalso, Robel Garcia, Carlos Gonzalez, Russell, Zobrist, Kemp, Zagunis group that needs to be mostly replaced with capable hitters.
    Last edited by CP_414; 11-08-2019 at 03:42 PM.

  11. #2936
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Posts
    10,089

    2019 - 2020 Off Season Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by CubsRule08 View Post
    This is from an article by Mark Gonzales of the Chicago Tribune


    https://www.chicagotribune.com/sport...vj4-story.html
    The part about there being a match with the royals is weird. Is he saying the Cubs can trade a certain IF and OF to get him? Which ones? Or is he awkwardly pointing out the Whit is both an infielder and an outfielder?

    I mostly like Whit. His financial cost is low. I think heís a pretty good bet to be an above average hitter. Heís a solid defender at 2b. I donít think heíll be affected much if the juiced ball is gone. Heíll get everyone to stop talking about leadoff. Depends on the cost, of course.
    Last edited by CP_414; 11-08-2019 at 03:43 PM.

  12. #2937
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Addison, IL
    Posts
    21,965
    Quote Originally Posted by CP_414 View Post
    The part about there being a match with the royals is weird. Is he saying the Cubs can trade a certain IF and OF to get him? Which ones? Or is he awkwardly pointing out the Whit is both an infielder and an outfielder?

    I mostly like Whit. His financial cost is low. I think heís a pretty good bet to be an above average hitter. Heís a solid defender at 2b. I donít think heíll be affected much if the juiced ball is gone. Heíll get everyone to stop talking about leadoff. Depends on the cost, of course.
    I believe heís referring to a Cubs OF & Cubs IF that could get it done...

    Now, who would that be? No idea

    2016 World Series Champions!!!


  13. #2938
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    26,210
    Quote Originally Posted by CP_414 View Post
    Weíve been through this thawv. When you say ďa couple startersĒ you mean ďHeyward.Ē Who else would it be? They donít have regular starters in CF or 2b. You arenít talking about Schwarber, Rizzo, KB, Javy, Contreras.

    Depth is the bench and the rotational players. Theyíll have 12-13 position players depending on the roster size. So go into the season with 10-12 decent or better hitters and you have depth. Ideally theyíll have low cost capable replacements in Iowa, but they donít really have that now so they need to add depth at the mlb level. Itís the Almora, Descalso, Robel Garcia, Carlos Gonzalez, Russell, Zobrist, Kemp, Zagunis group that needs to be mostly replaced with capable hitters.
    Bote simply getting more playing time instead of some of the guys we had out there would probably help too.

  14. #2939
    Join Date
    Jul 2018
    Posts
    3,968
    Quote Originally Posted by CP_414 View Post
    Depth is the bench and the rotational players. Theyíll have 12-13 position players depending on the roster size. So go into the season with 10-12 decent or better hitters and you have depth. Ideally theyíll have low cost capable replacements in Iowa, but they donít really have that now so they neaneed to add depth at the mlb level. Itís the Almora, Descalso, Robel Garcia, Carlos Gonzalez, Russell, Zobrist, Kemp, Zagunis group that needs to be mostly replaced with capable hitters.
    This I agree with..

    If the Cubs did nothing with these regulars ..
    Contreras
    Rizzo
    Baez
    Bryant
    Schwarber
    Heyward

    and these bench players..
    Caratini
    Bote
    Happ

    Added a good to very good everyday CFer and 2BMEN, and basically upgraded a couple of the bench players from the others you mentioned, they will be a much better offensive team overall

  15. #2940
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    991
    Quote Originally Posted by CubsRule08 View Post
    This is from an article by Mark Gonzales of the Chicago Tribune


    https://www.chicagotribune.com/sport...vj4-story.html
    Not that into giving up much for Merrifield. Over 30, BABIP-driven value at the plate. Not a great combination.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •