Like us on Facebook


Follow us on Twitter





Page 230 of 327 FirstFirst ... 130180220228229230231232240280 ... LastLast
Results 3,436 to 3,450 of 4897
  1. #3436
    Join Date
    Oct 2018
    Posts
    2,110
    Quote Originally Posted by CP_414 View Post
    Defense. 1b get hit hard by the positional adjustment. Rizzo is also a terrible base runner. But 4 war is great for a 1b.
    Gotcha. I was confused why Rizzoís numbers across the board were better than KBís, but the WAR was lower. Thanks


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  2. #3437
    Join Date
    Oct 2018
    Posts
    2,110
    Quote Originally Posted by Prior22 View Post
    If the motivation for not bringing back NC is that you feel his great last two months of the season arenít a sign of things to come thatís fine. But not bringing him back because of defensive concerns is nonsense.

    If NC continues his run of elite hitting in 2020, lets say an OPS around 900, I absolutely believe that overrides the negative defensive value. Especially since weíre talking about a corner outfielder playing half his games in a small park.

    If this outfield in 2020 is Schwarber in Left, defensive minded Outfielder or Happ in Center and Heyward in Right you will have a lot of disgruntled Cub fans. And understandably so.
    Itís tricky either way you look at it. I get what youíre saying about NC offense overriding his defense, but like the article states, you have 3 defensive liabilities (maybe average or a bit below for JH in center) if you bring him back.

    For me, itís Shogo or NC... take your pick. Shogo is no sure bet with the bat, but the defense should translate. Does his above average glove, on base ability, and whatever he brings with the bat override Nickís poor defense but good stick?


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  3. #3438
    Join Date
    Jul 2018
    Posts
    4,069
    Quote Originally Posted by CubsRule08 View Post
    Sahadev Sharma via The Athletic is saying Castellanos probably wonít be an option in 2020 for the Cubs.

    He states that in order to re-sign Castellanos, theyíd have to trade Schwarber since the Cubs donít want 2 poor defenders in Schwarber (LF) and Castellanos (RF) to surround an average defender in Heyward (CF). Sharma also states that the team is looking to upgrade in CF so they can keep Heyward in RF and Schwarber in LF.

    And hereís something you donít want to hear via Sharma: Cubs still view Almora as valuable enough to not consider trading him or non-rendering him. However, he states Almora will not start in 2020, and that it might be between Happ or outside competition for starting in CF for 2020 season
    I said it all along, the only way NC returns is if they trade either Schwarber or Heyward

    I can kinda see them holding onto Almora because they have that 26 man roster and a 5th guy on the bench.
    They probably still consider him a solid defensive glove for CF

  4. #3439
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Posts
    3,851
    Quote Originally Posted by Prior22 View Post
    If the motivation for not bringing back NC is that you feel his great last two months of the season arenít a sign of things to come thatís fine. But not bringing him back because of defensive concerns is nonsense.

    If NC continues his run of elite hitting in 2020, lets say an OPS around 900, I absolutely believe that overrides the negative defensive value. Especially since weíre talking about a corner outfielder playing half his games in a small park.

    If this outfield in 2020 is Schwarber in Left, defensive minded Outfielder or Happ in Center and Heyward in Right you will have a lot of disgruntled Cub fans. And understandably so.
    Itís more about the immovable Heyward contract than Castellanosí defense. Theyíre just not going to advertise it

  5. #3440
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    2,957
    Tracy Ringolsby should have his vote taken away... he had Rendon, Freeman and Arenado ahead of Yelich and Bellinger for MVP...

    Ludicrous.

  6. #3441
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    752
    Javy Baez not even in the Top 15 voting for NL MVP.

    What flawed metric system were they using in casting their votes on this?
    Last edited by Vince70; 11-15-2019 at 08:05 AM.

  7. #3442
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    54,763
    Quote Originally Posted by Vince70 View Post
    Javy Baez not even in the Top 15 voting for NL MVP!

    What flawed metric system were they using in casting their votes?
    Baez didn't have THAT great of a year. He missed a full month. He was worth the 30th most fWAR. His wRC+ was outside of the top-60.

    He had a good year. But pump the breaks. I'm not sure he deserved to be a top-15 vote getter.

    Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

  8. #3443
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    752
    Doesn't the team falling apart in those last 20 games he missed only validate the meaning of being valuable to ones team?

    I was fully excepting him to at least make the chart cause he truly impacts the game on so many levels.
    Last edited by Vince70; 11-15-2019 at 08:13 AM.

  9. #3444
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    54,763
    Quote Originally Posted by Vince70 View Post
    Doesn't the team falling apart in those last 20 games he missed only validate the meaning of being valuable to ones team?

    I was fully excepting him to at least make the chart cause he truly impacts the game on so many levels.
    The team fell apart for a lot of reasons. Baez not being there definitely didn't help in any way shape or form. But really they fall apart in the last week alone. They were keeping their head above water for a bit without him, too.

    That's not enough to garner MVP votes.

    He had a good season but he didn't post any numbers that can overcome missing a full month. I wouldn't have voted for him.

    Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

  10. #3445
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Posts
    922
    Quote Originally Posted by 1908_Cubs View Post
    Baez didn't have THAT great of a year. He missed a full month. He was worth the 30th most fWAR. His wRC+ was outside of the top-60.

    He had a good year. But pump the breaks. I'm not sure he deserved to be a top-15 vote getter.

    Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk
    He was clearly the best Cub this year, but the best player on a mediocre team rarely wins

  11. #3446
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    13,952
    Quote Originally Posted by jfoley89 View Post
    He was clearly the best Cub this year, but the best player on a mediocre team rarely wins
    Mike Trout disagrees..... Just kidding about that. He is the best player on the planet. But it is not about winning, it is about Javy not even getting a vote. IMO he was better than Wong and Pillar. Two guys that did get a vote. Pillar is completely ridiculous. But with Wong, I think he got a vote because the Cardinals made the playoffs. I think the top spot or even top 3 to 5 spots (some years) get votes based on the year they had with a little weight put on the team being a playoff team. I think when you start filling in guys names down to 15, more weight is put on players from teams who made the playoffs. That is why Wong and Goldy got votes while Javy and Rizzo did not.

  12. #3447
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Posts
    10,306
    Quote Originally Posted by jfoley89 View Post
    He was clearly the best Cub this year, but the best player on a mediocre team rarely wins
    Was he?

    Could make a good case for Bryant, Javy, or Rizzo. Iíd lean towards Bryant.

  13. #3448
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Posts
    922
    ESPN WAR has Baez at 4.8 vs 3.6 for Bryant.
    Fangraphs has Bryant 4.8 vs 4.4 with Baez missing a month.
    Bref has Javy at 4.8 vs 3.6 for Bryant. It's close if you prefer fangraphs, but I'd lean Javy.

    Looking at this, I assume ESPN pulls from baseball reference. Is that accurate?

  14. #3449
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    13,952
    Quote Originally Posted by chibears55 View Post
    I said it all along, the only way NC returns is if they trade either Schwarber or Heyward

    I can kinda see them holding onto Almora because they have that 26 man roster and a 5th guy on the bench.
    They probably still consider him a solid defensive glove for CF
    You have. I agree. But usually it was in an attempt to make a case for trading Schwarber. In this case it seems the Cubs are saying they are not interested in bringing in NC because they believe in Schwarber. Actaully usually after you posted your idea of the Cubs signing NC meaning they would have to trade Kyle, I usually followed up with my thought that if that was the case, they wouldn't be signing NC. And that also appears o be correct. That said, I would be fine with taking a flier on Akiyama and then maybe also signing Garcia. If Akiyama does well then maybe all 4 outfielders find their playing time to be between 100 and 140 games (I would think Schwarber should play that many, anyway). Heyward can play center in games Akiyama doesn't start. And, if Akiyama sucks they can always more Heyward to center and play Garcia in right most games, using Akiyama as a defensive replacement. They would be getting 2 outfielders for probably less then the cost of NC by himself. If they did this that might allow them to deal Happ for a pen arm. Put him in a trade with Contreras and try getting a young starting pitcher, a pen arm and a solid prospect.

  15. #3450
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    13,952
    Quote Originally Posted by jfoley89 View Post
    ESPN WAR has Baez at 4.8 vs 3.6 for Bryant.
    Fangraphs has Bryant 4.8 vs 4.4 with Baez missing a month.
    Bref has Javy at 4.8 vs 3.6 for Bryant. It's close if you prefer fangraphs, but I'd lean Javy.

    Looking at this, I assume ESPN pulls from baseball reference. Is that accurate?
    I think the word "clearly" overstates your point a little. I think a case can be made for both Bryant and Rizzo as well.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •