Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 118 of 221 FirstFirst ... 1868108116117118119120128168218 ... LastLast
Results 1,756 to 1,770 of 3307
    Quote Originally Posted by CP_414 View Post
    That’s a shame. “Atheist Nashville Airport” would have been a cool name.

2016 World Series Champions!!!

Javy is a pitcher in the game? That's what the picture looks like
    Quote Originally Posted by CubsRule08 View Post
    Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by CP_414 View Post
    That’s a shame. “Atheist Nashville Airport” would have been a cool name.
    Ehh... I’ve heard better

2019 - 2020 Off Season Thread

I know the Cubs inability to draft/develop SP is a big issue and a legit one, but I was thinking about the Astros pitching compared to the Cubs. Their top 3 starters were established mlb stars acquired in trades. The 4 starter this year was Wade Miley. The closer and top set up man were acquired in trades. The top 8 Astros pitchers in fWAR this year didn’t come through their system.

The difference with the Cubs and Astros pitching is all in player development at the mlb level. They aren’t necessarily drafting pitchers much better or taking equal level pitching prospects and developing them better. They are taking mlb pitchers and making them better while the Cubs haven’t been able to improve upon the development of enough mlb pitchers yet. They’ve had some wins there (Arrieta, Strop, Ryan, Wieck, Wieck, maybe Darvish if 2nd half Darvish continues, arguably Hamels before his injury). Hendricks was a prospect trade win.

The Red Sox last year had none of their top 6 and 2 of the top 10 pitchers by fWAR come through their system.

The Cubs 16 team had none of the top 10 pitchers originally from the Cubs system, but Hendricks, Edwards, and Grimm all had some development time in the Cubs system.

There’s a lot of emphasis on drafting and developing pitchers, and there should be. But it’s at least equally important to be able to take other teams major leaguers and make them better. You don’t have to develop waves and waves of pitching. It’s great if you can, but having the ability to go get Jon Gray and turn him into a 5 win pitcher is the type of development that is really needed.
    Last edited by CP_414; 10-21-2019 at 12:47 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by The20thK View Post
    Ehh... I’ve heard better
    There is an airport in Australia named, “Useless Loop Airport”.

Now imagine if their motto is: “We are so bad at our jobs that even the Pilots are useless”.

Quote Originally Posted by Randall Simon View Post

My first thought.

After plenty of backlash, I am sure the cover designers will change the cover. I remember either an NBA 2k or FIFA game cover was changed a few years ago because of the look of it.

Girardi 2nd interview today with the Phillies

I read in several places that if the Cubs don’t make an announcement today it could be a sign that Espada will the the guy. You guys buy into that ?

Enviado desde mi iPhone utilizando Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Dfan25 View Post
    I read in several places that if the Cubs don’t make an announcement today it could be a sign that Espada will the the guy. You guys buy into that ?

They could just not know. They don't have to rush. Espada can't interview elsewhere until the off day anyway. It's possible they wait until a World Series off day or after the World Series entirely, if it's Espada or Ross.

I'm down for Espada.

I don't buy it. I thought they wanted to interview someone else. The speculation was it was Bard. Now that the Yankees are done, they might want to talk to him. And that would be a reason for not announcing today, as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Randall Simon View Post

Looks to me like he's throwing to first. No high knee kick to indicate a pitcher.

I'll say that every day they delay it, I think it's probably more likely. I'm not sure if today has to be the day for any reason. But the more they wait, the more it feels like it'll be Espada over someone who's currently available.

There is this thought that no announcements can be made during the WS, so if it was going to be a Ross they’d do it today before the WS starts. Last year the Twins and Jays both hired their new managers on the off day between games 2 and 3 of the WS, so that isn’t actually a rule. I doubt they’d name Espada as manager on a WS off day, but if it is Ross they could announce today, Thursday, next Monday, or after the WS. If it is Espada, they probably wait until the Series ends, unless they announce it today.

Personally, I would hope to have both Espada as manager and Ross as the bench coach.

Will that happen? Not likely, but that would be an interesting idea

2016 World Series Champions!!!