Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 170 of 334 FirstFirst ... 70120160168169170171172180220270 ... LastLast
Results 2,536 to 2,550 of 5009
    Quote Originally Posted by CP_414 View Post
    I promise you this FO doesnít do this.
    Not quite. But stats like OPS and WAR do not factor in things like situational hitting. And our whole organization is so focused on things like walks and launch angle etc. we've forgotten how to play the game other than walking or hitting a HR. A lot of our guys can barely hit anything offspeed. Everyone's up there trying to jack the ball 450 ft while stranding runners like crazy. It's embarrassing.

Anyone with any clue how to make contact and slap a ball the other way were developed in other orgs (Rizzo, Heyward, Zobrist). Add our horrible defense and baserunning and clearly most on this team didn't care about the fundamentals. Maddon managed this team via computer, results were terrible.

We even have an analytics guy as our pitching coach. At least we finally have a real ballplayer as our manager. We have a 3B/OF as our catcher whose receiving skills suck. Happ, Almora, & Russell have regressed, so have Heyward, Quintana, Chatwood while Monty, Edwards Jr, Strop, Brach, Descalso, Kimbrel were rendered useless. This was the most poorly coached team i've seen in my life.
    Last edited by Stratos; 11-02-2019 at 03:03 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Stratos View Post
    Not quite. But stats like OPS and WAR do not factor in things like situational hitting. And our whole organization is so focused on things like walks and launch angle etc. we've forgotten how to play the game other than walking or hitting a HR. A lot of our guys can barely hit anything offspeed. Everyone's up there trying to jack the ball 450 ft while stranding runners like crazy. It's embarrassing.

Anyone with any clue how to make contact and slap a ball the other way were developed in other orgs (Rizzo, Heyward, Zobrist). Add our horrible defense and baserunning and clearly most on this team didn't care about the fundamentals. Maddon managed this team via computer, results were terrible.

We even have an analytics guy as our pitching coach. At least we finally have a real ballplayer as our manager. We have a 3B/OF as our catcher whose receiving skills suck. Happ, Almora, & Russell have regressed, so have Heyward, Quintana, Chatwood while Monty, Edwards Jr, Strop, Brach, Descalso, Kimbrel were rendered useless. This was the most poorly coached team i've seen in my life.
    The Cubs were 3rd in mlb in opposite field hits. That wasnít the issue with this team. Also the guys you listed are not the best on the team at going the other way. Javy was the leader, followed by Rizzo and Schwarber (Javy, Castellanos, Russell, Hoerner if we use a percentage). Zobrist wasnít even close, even on a percentage basis. They arenít putting the team together by OPS like itís 2002. I think teams value OPS about as much as they value RBI. It gives you a general idea of some things, but itís a really flawed stat without context.

The defense and baserunning were horrible. Hopefully new coaches can improve those areas. They probably need new players to improve the defense portion of it. They do struggle more than most teams against non fastballs and they were last in contact rate. Both of those things need to get better. However, you donít want them to get better at the expense of walks and home runs. OBP is still the single most important thing in offense. You also need to hit for power. Itís too hard in the modern game to string singles together to rely on that for a majority of your runs. You want to have different style hitters, but most importantly you want to lead the league in obp and you want to hit a lot of home runs.

The Cubs also werenít ďstranding runners like crazy.Ē They were one of the most productive teams in mlb with runners on base. The problem was they had the 26th most PAs with runners on. The problem with the offense wasnít analytics, or launch angle, or stranding runners, or not going the other way. The problem was that they didnít get on base enough and when they did they made too many outs on the bases.

Quote Originally Posted by CP_414 View Post
    The Cubs were 3rd in mlb in opposite field hits. That wasnít the issue with this team. Also the guys you listed are not the best on the team at going the other way. Javy was the leader, followed by Rizzo and Schwarber (Javy, Castellanos, Russell, Hoerner if we use a percentage). Zobrist wasnít even close, even on a percentage basis. They arenít putting the team together by OPS like itís 2002. I think teams value OPS about as much as they value RBI. It gives you a general idea of some things, but itís a really flawed stat without context.

The defense and baserunning were horrible. Hopefully new coaches can improve those areas. They probably need new players to improve the defense portion of it. They do struggle more than most teams against non fastballs and they were last in contact rate. Both of those things need to get better. However, you donít want them to get better at the expense of walks and home runs. OBP is still the single most important thing in offense. You also need to hit for power. Itís too hard in the modern game to string singles together to rely on that for a majority of your runs. You want to have different style hitters, but most importantly you want to lead the league in obp and you want to hit a lot of home runs.

The Cubs also werenít ďstranding runners like crazy.Ē They were one of the most productive teams in mlb with runners on base. The problem was they had the 26th most PAs with runners on. The problem with the offense wasnít analytics, or launch angle, or stranding runners, or not going the other way. The problem was that they didnít get on base enough and when they did they made too many outs on the bases.
    But this is pretty much what OPS is. No?

2019 - 2020 Off Season Thread

Quote Originally Posted by thawv View Post
    No, because itís not weighted in OPS. OPS is a very basic way to get a general idea what type of hitter someone is. Baseball analytics doesnít mean ďOPSĒ anymore than advanced math means ďaddition.Ē

In OPS, 1 point of slugging equals 1 point of OBP. Obviously these two things arenít equal. The scales arenít even the same. Obp is on a scale of 1.000 and Slg is on a scale of 4.000. Even after adjusting the scale the obp part is the more important component. Thereís no reason to take these 2 separate stats on separate scales and just add them together like they are the same thing. OPS is an very easy way for fans to get a general idea about a hitter, but I promise you front offices arenít building rosters around OPS.

Quote Originally Posted by thawv View Post
    OPS is the combination of OBP and Slugging. The issue is that it treats both the same when they're not. A "perfect" OBP is 1.000, however, a "perfect" slugging is a 4.000. So combining the two isnt fair as they're on different scales.

Think of it like money. Sure, 1000 yen sounds a lot more than $10 dollars American, but they're on different scales. $10 American is more than the yen. You couldn't just say you had 1010 YenDollars, either, and have it mean something. It depends on where those numbers are coming from. One 1010 YenDollars might be very different than another YenDollars depending on which side of the scale is factoring in.

OPS does that. It's why it's a very flawed system. That's even before you take into account park factors, league wide offense and the like. It's why things like wOBA (which scales them equally and puts stock in league numbers) as well as wRC+ do a far more accurate job of showing offense. More factors on equal standing.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by 1908_Cubs View Post
    OPS is the combination of OBP and Slugging. The issue is that it treats both the same when they're not. A "perfect" OBP is 1.000, however, a "perfect" slugging is a 4.000. So combining the two isnt fair as they're on different scales.

Think of it like money. Sure, 1000 yen sounds a lot more than $10 dollars American, but they're on different scales. $10 American is more than the yen. You couldn't just say you had 1010 YenDollars, either, and have it mean something. It depends on where those numbers are coming from. One 1010 YenDollars might be very different than another YenDollars depending on which side of the scale is factoring in.

OPS does that. It's why it's a very flawed system. That's even before you take into account park factors, league wide offense and the like. It's why things like wOBA (which scales them equally and puts stock in league numbers) as well as wRC+ do a far more accurate job of showing offense. More factors on equal standing.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk
    Thanks for the education on OPS... I hadnít thought of it like that before. Can you break down wOBA and wRC+ like that for us>

As expected: Cubs exercise the option on Quintana, decline the option on Holland
    Last edited by CubsRule08; 11-02-2019 at 07:42 PM.

2016 World Series Champions!!!

Good deal

I read this somewhere else and it makes some sense . No announcement on the Rizzo option yet . Could they be talking extension ? They have until Monday if they are talking .
    Well they can continue talking after Monday but if they have not reached an extension by then they just pick up his option is what I meant.

I take Quintana as a 4th if they have the money to afford that. They need a better pitcher than him added to this rotation IMO and if they have to trade him to use that money for that improvement so be it.
    Enviado desde mi iPhone utilizando Tapatalk
    Last edited by Dfan25; 11-02-2019 at 08:13 PM.

Strasburg opting out

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by ivyboys View Post
    Strasburg opting out

Wow. I canít say I saw that coming after the title.

I suppose that money is his number 1 priority now that he has the ring.

Quote Originally Posted by JHBulls View Post
    Wow. I canít say I saw that coming after the title.

I suppose that money is his number 1 priority now that he has the ring.
    Boras Client

He 30, so I'm sure he probably looking to get 3 more yrs added in at 25+ per each

Quote Originally Posted by chibears55 View Post
    Boras Client

He 30, so I'm sure he probably looking to get 3 more yrs added in at 25+ per each
    He's 31 actually. He could probably still get that though.

Chapman staying with the Yankees. Adding 1 year and 18 mil to his deal.