Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 19 of 334 FirstFirst ... 917181920212969119 ... LastLast
    Dawk you love the NFL and every round is determined in 1 game. Why are those legitimate playoff games but not in baseball?

Quote Originally Posted by CP_414 View Post
    But itís the Wild Card game, not the play-in game. Like game 5 of the NLDS is a play in game to the NLCS, the WC game is a play-in to the DS round, but itís still part of the playoffs.
    Yeah, I get it. Maybe my issue is more in terms that it isnít an actual series. 1 game series is yuck to me.

Quote Originally Posted by La_bibbers View Post
    Dawk you love the NFL and every round is determined in 1 game. Why are those legitimate playoff games but not in baseball?
    Football is different for lots of reasons. A 1 game series takes the managing out of it, lining up pitchers, hitters, etc. Iíd rather see a best of 3 personally.

Quote Originally Posted by BDawk4Prez View Post
    Football is different for lots of reasons. A 1 game series takes the managing out of it, lining up pitchers, hitters, etc. Iíd rather see a best of 3 personally.
    I would agree it's a different game and I definitely would prefer a series in a perfect world as well, but hey, 1 game in the NFL is a playoff game and I don't see why it shouldn't still be taken seriously in the MLB either. I would argue there is still plenty of strategy though, I mean look at what Milwaukee did. It didn't work out for them, but to go against Scherzer & Strasburg and be able to keep up pitchingwise for the most part doing what they did is pretty great.

Any interest in trading for Kluber (assuming heís fully healthy)? The Indians say they will pick up his 17 mil option for next year, but they are pretty solid at SP and they need bats. I wouldnít think it wouldnít take much prospect wise to get him. He will be 33 next year and has another option for 2021.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by ivyboys View Post
    Any interest in trading for Kluber (assuming heís fully healthy)? The Indians say they will pick up his 17 mil option for next year, but they are pretty solid at SP and they need bats. I wouldnít think it wouldnít take much prospect wise to get him. He will be 33 next year and has another option for 2021.

Count me out. He's a "win now" type pitcher next year, and I am just hopeful they completely get away form that mentality. Retool, but don't go all in with a bunch of old dudes past their prime. We already tried that with Lester/Hamels recently. I wouldn't even imagine they take on that money even for 1 year.

Quote Originally Posted by chi-townlove1 View Post
    Count me out. He's a "win now" type pitcher next year, and I am just hopeful they completely get away form that mentality. Retool, but don't go all in with a bunch of old dudes past their prime. We already tried that with Lester/Hamels recently. I wouldn't even imagine they take on that money even for 1 year.
    I wouldn't say they tried that with Lester. They signed Lester to one of the best FA pitching contracts they've ever made when you take all things into account. They spent big and he rewarded the team about the way you'd have expected. He remains still an viable MLB starter. He's shown the type of an arc you'd have expected, where a lot of the value was up front, but he's still been good. He was still worth 2.8 fWAR on the year.

Hamels was probably a miss when you consider the market and how they could have probably gotten him for well below that number. But it is what it is.

I too, wouldn't go for Kluber, but it would have nothing to do with Lester and very little do with Hamels.

Quote Originally Posted by 1908_Cubs View Post
    I wouldn't say they tried that with Lester. They signed Lester to one of the best FA pitching contracts they've ever made when you take all things into account. They spent big and he rewarded the team about the way you'd have expected. He remains still an viable MLB starter. He's shown the type of an arc you'd have expected, where a lot of the value was up front, but he's still been good. He was still worth 2.8 fWAR on the year.

Hamels was probably a miss when you consider the market and how they could have probably gotten him for well below that number. But it is what it is.

I too, wouldn't go for Kluber, but it would have nothing to do with Lester and very little do with Hamels.
    Itís a bummer how Hamels struggled after the injury. It was looking like a great decision to bring him back before then.

Iím out on Kluber, too. In some other scenario where they can take on a ton of money Iíd be glad to have him, but heíd use most of the money the Cubs have available. Heís probably a better fit in Philly or the Angels.

Itís a bummer how Hamels struggled after the injury. It was looking like a great decision to bring him back before then.

Iím out on Kluber, too. In some other scenario where they can take on a ton of money Iíd be glad to have him, but heíd use most of the money the Cubs have available. Heís probably a better fit in Philly or the Angels.
    I don't know. I mean you can get a guy like him for 2 years? Instead of either getting a worse pitcher for a little less money yearly but for more years, or spending $25M+ for 6 years or more on Cole., I am no so sure Kluber doesn't make sense. If the Cubs could move Q or just not sign him, they would have Kluber instead for $6M more. That would still leave them with about $25M to spend to get a bat and some pen arms. Depending on what would have to go to the Indians, I wouldn't rule Kluber out. But I am not trading a top prospect for him.

I am not saying I would do it, but I would consider it depending on cost of assets.

Quote Originally Posted by rcal10 View Post
    I don't know. I mean you can get a guy like him for 2 years? Instead of either getting a worse pitcher for a little less money yearly but for more years, or spending $25M+ for 6 years or more on Cole., I am no so sure Kluber doesn't make sense. If the Cubs could move Q or just not sign him, they would have Kluber instead for $6M more. That would still leave them with about $25M to spend to get a bat and some pen arms. Depending on what would have to go to the Indians, I wouldn't rule Kluber out. But I am not trading a top prospect for him.

I am not saying I would do it, but I would consider it depending on cost of assets.
    I doubt thatís a direction they want to go. Heíd use up a big chunk of their budget. Theo talked about getting younger in the rotation and changing the look of the rotation. I think thatís what they want to do with the starting pitching.

I doubt thatís a direction they want to go. Heíd use up a big chunk of their budget. Theo talked about getting younger in the rotation and changing the look of the rotation. I think thatís what they want to do with the starting pitching.
    I know. And I think they will get younger in the rotation. I also doubt that is the direction they will go. However, if you can trade Q and plug Kluber in instead, that is a plus. Maybe you spend $6M more. That is better than signing a starting pitcher for $6M. As an example, would you rather have Q and Roark (for $6M) or Kluber and Chatwood/Mills/Graveman, etc......

They might very well decide not to sign any starter. And if they do that, I am fine with it. But if they are going to get a guy for $6M or more, I would consider getting Kluber instead and working with what they have for the 5th spot. Of course I am not sure they plan on spending on a starter anyway.

Obviously to do this they would probably have to free up some more salary. Which is why it is doubtful.

I mean Kluber is only 33. He should be at 100% next season and heís always been durable until this year. If we didnít pick up Qís option that would almost pay it. Then you can look at trading KB for a Syndergaard type guy for example. Lester will be coming off the next year. It might not be a terrible idea.

2019 - 2020 Off Season Thread

Quote Originally Posted by ivyboys View Post
    I mean Kluber is only 33. He should be at 100% next season and heís always been durable until this year. If we didnít pick up Qís option that would almost pay it. Then you can look at trading KB for a Syndergaard type guy for example. Lester will be coming off the next year. It might not be a terrible idea.

If you donít pick up Qís option that gets you about halfway to a year of Kluberís salary. I donít know. Maybe it happens, but I really doubt it. I think they laid out clearly on Monday that they want to get younger in the rotation and a different look. To me, that means we donít want a $100+ million rotation full of age 30+ traditional 180+ inning pitchers. Kluber is one of those.

I think they want to bring in prearb pitchers or near mlb ready prospect pitchers or add more multi-inning relievers that allow you to go short with your back end starters.
    Last edited by CP_414; 10-02-2019 at 04:00 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by rcal10 View Post
    Would you feel differently if it was a 3 game series?
    Wouldn't surprise me if sometimes in near future they go to 8 teams making the playoffs with the first round being best of 3..

I see a 32 team MLB with 2 leagues of 4 division and 4 teams in each, pretty much like NFL..

Best of 3 WC round
    Best of 5 LDS
    Best of 7 LCS
    Format

WS Best of 7

It still 22 total games

IMO it looking like 45% Girardi, 45% Ross, 10% Field for Cubs Manager

I think Girardi wants the job so bad he going to tell them everything he wants them to hear and be on page with how they want to run the team.. that my opinion