Like us on Facebook


Follow us on Twitter





Page 2 of 334 FirstFirst 12341252102 ... LastLast
Results 16 to 30 of 5009
  1. #16
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    1,074
    Quote Originally Posted by rcal10 View Post
    What would an adequate stopgap look like in a Bryant trade? So would it be someone like Seager (Seattle) and then a top prospect or 2 for Bryant? The problem with that is Seager makes too much money. But if you take a younger, cheaper stop gap you get less in the prospect world. If you pay a stop gap almost as much as Bryant, you get better prospects, but you do not get under the luxury tax. Which, IMO, will be a goal this off season.
    (BTW, not looking for comments on the Seager scenario. It was the first thing that came to my head and I am not suggesting it). Pick any stopgap you want. If the guy is cheap and basically a league average everyday player the Cubs get less prospects. If his salary is higher and has time left, the Cubs get a better prospect. But in that event the Cubs do not lower their team salary.
    Someone like Yandy Diaz would make sense if the Rays are interested in consolidating their prospect capital. Sure, that kind of move might limit the quality of prospect in return, but it frees up a decent chunk of money given Bryant's arb number (Rays have shown the willingness to spend in the short term, so I think the upgrade Bryant would present may appeal to them). If they're trading Bryant, I imagine they're going to try to use the savings on a free agent. Maybe that puts them in the Cole sweepstakes. Or maybe they're able to get some cheap pitching depth for Bryant and go in hard on Rendon.

  2. #17
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    14,935
    Quote Originally Posted by 1908_Cubs View Post
    I think it's very early to suggest someone as good as Bryant isnt in the teams plans. They may look to trade him. They may look to extend him. What they do with him is very much debatable. I could see it going either way.

    Schwarber has been given every opportunity to succeed in Chicago. He was a monster in the 2nd half. I don't know why people think he isn't in the long term plans. Our FO has always seemed to love him. His second half had some great under lying numbers to suggest it's a sustainable change. You have to roll the dice on him as a franchise.

    Chatwood and Almora are obviously not long term pieces.

    The off-season will have to address what the Cubs think their window is. It will be nearly impossible to trade Bryant and keep 2020 open. It will be very interesting to see where they go.

    Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk
    I agree that Bryant shouldnít be excluded from the teams future plans. But IMO if he is not willing to sign an extension they will trade him. I also feel Schwarber and possibly Happ could be part of future plans. Although I do think next year will be about retooling and staying under the luxury tax, I do think if the cubs did decide to keep the salary as is or even a small increase they can trade Bryant and still try to win. They can trade Bryant and fill his spot with Donaldson. Or trade Bryant for someone like Turner of WA. Put Turner at SS and Javier at third. Sign Castallanos and arms. With the money they save they can sign a better pitcher. Instead of $30M to spend they might have $40M. IMO they absolutely can trade Bryant and compete in 2020. I just do not think they will choose that path.

  3. #18
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Addison, IL
    Posts
    23,364
    As expected, the Angels have fired manager Brad Ausmus.

    Iím expecting Maddon to the Angels any time now

    2016 World Series Champions!!!


  4. #19
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Downers Grove, IL
    Posts
    3,603
    Maddon will be the manager before we go to sleep tomorrow night.

  5. #20
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Puerto Rico
    Posts
    13,946
    If they are going to reset the tax then probably 2020 is the year to do it . I donít think itís likely they will be in on the top FA anyway and Springer / Betts are due to hit the market soon . If the plan is to reset in 2020 and go big in 2021 I understand . With that said I hope they can at least put a wild Card quality team in 2020 . Watching baseball with no hope of playing in October sucks.


    Enviado desde mi iPhone utilizando Tapatalk


    El Mago

  6. #21
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    14,935
    Quote Originally Posted by Dfan25 View Post
    If they are going to reset the tax then probably 2020 is the year to do it . I donít think itís likely they will be in on the top FA anyway and Springer / Betts are due to hit the market soon . If the plan is to reset in 2020 and go big in 2021 I understand . With that said I hope they can at least put a wild Card quality team in 2020 . Watching baseball with no hope of playing in October sucks.


    Enviado desde mi iPhone utilizando Tapatalk
    Pretty much my thoughts. And with Javi, Rizzo, Schwarber, maybe they can still compete. A few good low cost signings and they can be in contention. Maybe a guy from the Bryant or Contreras trade contributes. Step back one year, maybe have an outside chance of catching lightening in a bottle, but then ramp up the roster the following year.

  7. #22
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    9,537
    Quote Originally Posted by rcal10 View Post
    I agree that Bryant shouldnít be excluded from the teams future plans. But IMO if he is not willing to sign an extension they will trade him. I also feel Schwarber and possibly Happ could be part of future plans. Although I do think next year will be about retooling and staying under the luxury tax, I do think if the cubs did decide to keep the salary as is or even a small increase they can trade Bryant and still try to win. They can trade Bryant and fill his spot with Donaldson. Or trade Bryant for someone like Turner of WA. Put Turner at SS and Javier at third. Sign Castallanos and arms. With the money they save they can sign a better pitcher. Instead of $30M to spend they might have $40M. IMO they absolutely can trade Bryant and compete in 2020. I just do not think they will choose that path.
    As far as Turner goes, how much more do you think the Cubs would have to add to get him?

    Also, unless they are ready to make Kieboom their new starting SS, I don't think they would be looking to move Turner in the off season.

  8. #23
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    55,989
    Quote Originally Posted by thawv View Post
    As far as Turner goes, how much more do you think the Cubs would have to add to get him?

    Also, unless they are ready to make Kieboom their new starting SS, I don't think they would be looking to move Turner in the off season.
    I mean, he had a .388 wOBA and a 123 wRC+ in AAA as a 22 year old. There isn't much more for him to do there. If you're the Nationals and you get two years of Bryant to replace Rendon and have a player like Kieboom in the wings to replace Turner, it would make sense.

    I'm not sure what the full trade would look like. But I think there's a possible framework there.

    The Nationals aggressively promoted Soto, too. It's not like this out of their wheelhouse.

  9. #24
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    14,935
    Quote Originally Posted by thawv View Post
    As far as Turner goes, how much more do you think the Cubs would have to add to get him?

    Also, unless they are ready to make Kieboom their new starting SS, I don't think they would be looking to move Turner in the off season.
    Bryant for Turner is pretty fair. I think Bryant is like 25th most valuable in a trade and Turner 27th. I do not think you add anything. If the Nats lose Rendon they might want Bryant.

  10. #25
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    9,537
    Quote Originally Posted by 1908_Cubs View Post
    I mean, he had a .388 wOBA and a 123 wRC+ in AAA as a 22 year old. There isn't much more for him to do there. If you're the Nationals and you get two years of Bryant to replace Rendon and have a player like Kieboom in the wings to replace Turner, it would make sense.

    I'm not sure what the full trade would look like. But I think there's a possible framework there.

    The Nationals aggressively promoted Soto, too. It's not like this out of their wheelhouse.
    I agree with all of this.

    If Kieboom is ready, which it appears that he is, they can move Turner, or Kieboom can play 2B. In reality, that's what they should do, seeing that 2B is aging for them, and the kid is ready to go.

  11. #26
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Addison, IL
    Posts
    23,364

    2019 - 2020 Off Season Thread

    For those who are interested:

    Theo Epstein will be having his end of season media session at 3 pm today.

    Iím sure weíre going to find out whatís to be expected this offseason

    2016 World Series Champions!!!


  12. #27
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    9,537
    Quote Originally Posted by rcal10 View Post
    Bryant for Turner is pretty fair. I think Bryant is like 25th most valuable in a trade and Turner 27th. I do not think you add anything. If the Nats lose Rendon they might want Bryant.
    Are those updated rankings? I would make that trade in a heartbeat. I just think that Was would want more. Turner has an extra year of control. KB will cost them about 14 million more than Turner in arb. KB will be 29 opening day, while Turner will be 26. Turner plays a premium position.

    Turner has a higher contact rate (79%-74%)
    Turner is in the top 28% in exit velo. Bryant is in the bottom 23%
    Turner is in the top 24% in hard hit balls. Bryant is in the bottom 25%

    Myself, I would easily rather have Turner moving forward. Especially for the 14 million savings. That's without adding in the SB's.

    I'm hoping the new manager will want to get runners moving on the base paths this year. Via SB, or hit and run.

  13. #28
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    9,537
    Quote Originally Posted by CubsRule08 View Post
    For those who are interested:

    Theo Epstein will be having his end of season media session at 3 pm today.

    Iím sure weíre going to find out whatís to be expected this offseason
    If it's on TV, do you know what channel it's on?

  14. #29
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    14,935
    Quote Originally Posted by NoChiInChamp View Post
    Someone like Yandy Diaz would make sense if the Rays are interested in consolidating their prospect capital. Sure, that kind of move might limit the quality of prospect in return, but it frees up a decent chunk of money given Bryant's arb number (Rays have shown the willingness to spend in the short term, so I think the upgrade Bryant would present may appeal to them). If they're trading Bryant, I imagine they're going to try to use the savings on a free agent. Maybe that puts them in the Cole sweepstakes. Or maybe they're able to get some cheap pitching depth for Bryant and go in hard on Rendon.
    Ok, that makes sense. But I think Diaz is not a very good fielder at 3rd. So Cubs still might get decent prospects back. The bigger issue to me is I do not see the Rays taking on that salary. To me Bryant is going to end up in Philly, Atlanta, maybe the Angels (if Joe goes there), the Mets, Yankees, or maybe a few other higher salaried teams. I do not see a team like the Rays taking him.

  15. #30
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Addison, IL
    Posts
    23,364
    Quote Originally Posted by thawv View Post
    If it's on TV, do you know what channel it's on?
    Not sure if itís on TV. Iíd assume if it is, it will be on NBC Sports Chicago (they do have Bulls media day coverage on right now, so I honestly donít know).

    I know it will be on 670 The Score and ESPN 1000 for sure

    2016 World Series Champions!!!


Page 2 of 334 FirstFirst 12341252102 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •