Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 29 of 250 FirstFirst ... 1927282930313979129 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by CP_414 View Post
    Iím a big Alek Thomas fan. I was hoping heíd be there at the pick that became Brennan Davis (who has obviously also been great). Thomas is exciting and a Mt. Carmel kid. I donít know if Arizona is going to be aggressively buying, but they have the prospects to make it happen.

Looking way ahead to the 2020 draft, Ed Howard is a SS also from Mt. Carmel and is currently projected mid-1st. Heíd be a fun pick at 16.
    Honestly dude, you're a fugging machine!

Quote Originally Posted by ILMindState View Post
    Ultimately I don't think KB will end up being traded. If you trade KB you need to get a haul. I just don't think they'll get the fair value.
    This is kind of my thoughts. I think he will not sign an extension and the Cubs will try trading him. But I also think they will not get what they want so just figure they might as well keep him and try again in 2020.

Quote Originally Posted by JHBulls View Post
    I hate the idea of trading Bryant and I get grumpy whenever itís discussed. Sadly it really has a possibility of happening.
    I understand that. I hate it too. I want them to extend him and Javy and go sign Cole and Pomeranz, make small trades for potential breakout relievers and bench hitters and try again. I just donít see that happening.

I understand that. I hate it too. I want them to extend him and Javy and go sign Cole and Pomeranz, make small trades for potential breakout relievers and bench hitters and try again. I just donít see that happening.
    Yea, really wish these were the kinds of discussions we could be having. Trade Heyward instead Cubs.

That would be the dream. But as you said, probably not happening.

I don't see that exactly. But I can see either trading or releasing Q to save $10M bringing the total to $40M to spend. Then signing Castellanos, maybe someone like Wheeler or Odorizzi, and then Pomerenz. That should give them a little extra for maybe some small moves. And calling that an off season. Maybe even extending Javi. If they do not get what they want for KB they might do the same thing the Nations did with Harper and agains with Rendon. Play it out until the end.
    Small moves would be things like Russell, Almora, maybe even Caratini being traded. Cheap signings for bench or pen help. Maybe even a starting pitcher right at the start of spring training for cheap. (Roark, Gio, etc....) Things like that. OR if not a starting pitcher just go with Graveman/Chatwood/Mills/Alzolay for the last spot.

Quote Originally Posted by thawv View Post
    Honestly dude, you're a fugging machine!
    Thanks, but Thomas is a pretty well known guy. I couldnít name 5 players on any football team other than the Bears without checking and itís my 2nd favorite sport. I just really like baseball.

No chance a team like the Orioles that'll be rebuilding for the next 4-5 years anyway takes Heyward if we gave them prospects so we can just keep KB instead? Obviously Heyward would have to accept the trade, but it'd just be so cool.

Quote Originally Posted by La_bibbers View Post
    Yea, really wish these were the kinds of discussions we could be having. Trade Heyward instead Cubs.
    '
    And how much of Heyward's 21mill salary would you be will for the Cubs to eat? 15 mill?, 18 mill? No one is taking him until you "sweeten the pot" with something along those lines. He's a serviciable outfielder, just not the Star outfielder we're are paying him to be.
    Last edited by Stevemil505; 10-03-2019 at 03:59 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Stevemil505 View Post
    '
    And how much of Heyward's 21mill salary would you be will for the Cubs to eat? 15 mill?, 18 mill? No one is taking him until you "sweeten the pot" with something along those lines. He's a serviciable outfielder, just not the Star outfielder we're are paying him to be.
    I was thinking just a salary dump to some rebuilding team. By not opting out this year, he's waiving his full no-trade clause (he can still reject trades to 12 teams, but that's a lot better than all teams). Idk what we'd have to give up, but trading prospects to some organization to take him on would be a great option if possible if we wanted the kind of off-season CP mentioned.

No chance a team like the Orioles that'll be rebuilding for the next 4-5 years anyway takes Heyward if we gave them prospects so we can just keep KB instead? Obviously Heyward would have to accept the trade, but it'd just be so cool.
    It would take a lot of prospect value. Theyíd have to give away the prospects we like. They probably canít afford to do that.

It would take a lot of prospect value. Theyíd have to give away the prospects we like. They probably canít afford to do that.
    Can we afford to trade KB while we're competing? I'd rather trade Marquez or Davis than KB. Idk just me. If not, even Kimbrel I'd be fine dumping if Heyward is too costly.

2019 - 2020 Off Season Thread

Havent look at Arizona as trade partner but yeah looking at their specs they are interesting . Donít have the pitching that I would like but they have some interesting hitters. With that said my favorite is Graterol / Larnach from the Twins so far. Good job identifying Arizona guys ( CP wolf )

Enviado desde mi iPhone utilizando Tapatalk

2019 - 2020 Off Season Thread

Can we afford to trade KB while we're competing? I'd rather trade Marquez or Davis than KB. Idk just me.
    Itís probably closer to Marquez and Davis, right? Youíd have to eat the equivalent of $50-60 million in prospect value? Iíd think at least 2 of the top 4.

Even if you did that it clears about $20 per year on top of whatever they can spend now. Is that enough to fill the gaps and start extending players? I donít know. The farm system would go back to barren, so you arenít adding pre-arb impact players anytime soon. I donít think you can win like that anymore. You need to always be adding good cheap talent to the roster. Every year.

Realistically, I think you try this dual fronts path where you trade a key player or 2 for pre-arb/near mlb ready prospect talent and use money to replace the traded player as best as you can and maybe you are a little worse immediately but much better long term. If you make really good deals, maybe you can do it and be better immediately.

I think itís being assumed that this means KB and/or Contreras are on the block, but there should be a real conversation if Javy and/or Rizzo make more sense to trade if some of those 4 are getting moved.
    Last edited by CP_414; 10-03-2019 at 04:57 PM.

Can we afford to trade KB while we're competing? I'd rather trade Marquez or Davis than KB. Idk just me. If not, even Kimbrel I'd be fine dumping if Heyward is too costly.
    We can if we then sign Donaldson. That said, as much as the Cubs might want to deal KB, I have a feeling they are not going to get what they want and will keep him. At least, I hope they keep him unless they get exactly what they want for him. I would raher go for it 2 more years and lose guys then, instead of getting a less than inspiring return and end up not being good in 2020, and not having much of anything to show for the future.