Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 9 of 20 FirstFirst ... 789101119 ... LastLast

Thread: 2020 Offseason

I personally think Puig would be fun to watch and don't think he's a bad guy, just likes to cause nuisance. Marcell Ozuna or Castellanos would be solid, but I'd hate to watch there defense flounder at AT&T, especially if Dickerson is playing the other corner.

I heard the Brewers might make Lorenzo Cain available. He has a huge contract and is coming off a poor year, so might be a good buy low trade candidate instead of Marte.

Quote Originally Posted by xander View Post
    I personally think Puig would be fun to watch and don't think he's a bad guy, just likes to cause nuisance. Marcell Ozuna or Castellanos would be solid, but I'd hate to watch there defense flounder at AT&T, especially if Dickerson is playing the other corner.

I heard the Brewers might make Lorenzo Cain available. He has a huge contract and is coming off a poor year, so might be a good buy low trade candidate instead of Marte.
    If MLBTR is accurate in projecting a contract similar to 3/45 for Ozuna then I'd be very happy to get him. I'd be pretty content with Ozuna or Castellanos as well.

I'd stay away from Cain though. He'll be 34 in April and is owed $16M/$17M/$18M through 2022. I didn't want him when he was a free agent. Use that money elsewhere.

My problem with not tendering Pillar is that I don't think this team is going to be a big spender and if Pillar is bad they could just bench him. He was a popular player and seemed like a good guy on a team that is running out of good guys. We're not going to compete this year. I just don't see the harm in keeping him for the season.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

#MakeAmericaPeeAgain

Pillar was owed 10 million. His defense has fallen off drastically and hes in his 30's now. The front office is looking for the next group of young players that can take us back to the promised land for years to come.

This money is gonna be put toward a Castellanos-type player. As a Giants fan this was unexpected, and KP was fun to watch everyday.

But 10 million, player in his 30's with decreasing potential, it made most sense to save that money for a young star player and give opportunity to find the next hidden gems.

I'm not super sold on Castellanos, especially with his fielding deficiencies.

"there's no scraps in my scrapbook"

Giants were in on Hamels before he signed with Atlanta.

wouldn't mind taking a flier on Jimmy Nelson & Taijuan Walker.

Fire Luke Walton

Giants hired Brian Bannister from BOS.

Source: #SFGiants hire Brian Bannister, former #RedSox vice president of pitching development. @MLB @MLBNetwork
    https://twitter.com/jonmorosi/status...7Ctwgr%5Etweet

Fire Luke Walton

Which contract would you guys most want gone at this point?

Longoria or Crawford.

Easily Longoria for me since it's the longest and most expensive.

With the hot stove league right around the corner, Giants fans hit team president Farhan Zaidi with a few furnace blasts on Tuesday night.

At a meet-and-mingle at Oracle Park, ostensibly to let season-ticket holders get to know new manager Gabe Kapler, the audience Q&A took a few tense detours as fans vented about the decision to non-tender popular center fielder Kevin Pillar.

Because the Winter Meetings open next week in San Diego, fans also had pointed questions about the status of free agent Madison Bumgarner and wondered aloud about a possible overemphasis of analytics in the Giants organization.

A day after Pillar was set free, a few dozen fans grumbled or groaned every time his name came up, apparently not mollified by the lovely spread of appetizers and beverages for this private event inside the club level.

And when fans had a chance to address Zaidi directly, the amplification from the hand-held microphone was hardly necessary.

“You’ve taken the heart away,’’ one woman said, setting the early tone. “So that’s what’s really hurting: You’ve taken our heart away for … money? I don’t understand that. I’m season-ticket holder and it’s just like you stripped it all away. And it looks like the Oakland A’s all over again. So what are you going to do about that?”

Zaidi, in his second season as the Giants president of baseball operations, remained good-natured throughout the hour-long session. He laughed often and answered patiently, often thanking fans for their fair questions.

But he didn’t exactly help himself win over the crowd with his references to the success of the Dodgers several times in the opening minutes.

At one point, Zaidi, who worked in the Dodgers’ front office before the Giants hired him last offseason said: “Let me ask this trivia question: Over the last three years, 2017-19, how many combined games did we finish behind the Dodgers in the standings?”

He answered that one himself: “Eighty-seven-point-five.”

Later, Zaidi, in addressing the Pillar move, encouraged fans to think the way their rivals might, asking them to put themselves in Dodger blue shoes for a moment. “If you said to the Dodgers, what do you want the Giants to do?”

That’s about as far as he got before he had to wait for the crowd to quiet down a bit.

Then he continued.

“If you said to the Dodgers: Do you want the Giants to take chances with young players and have the chance to really build something? Or do you want them to go with a veteran group and just play that game? What would you rather do?” Zaidi posited.

He answered that one himself, too, saying that the Dodgers would prefer that the Giants keep treading water with a veteran squad “because, frankly, they feel like they have a better group. And as long as we’re trying to play catch-up like that with veteran players, we’re not going to get there.”

At times, the night turned into one of those old school vs. new school debates. On the traditionalist side, more than one fan noted that Pillar was the Willie Mac Award winner as the Giants’ most inspirational leader. Pillar also made highlight-caliber catches and fared well in the familiar measures, batting .264 with 21 home runs, 76 RBIs and 14 stolen bases. Henry Schulman, who covers the Giants for the San Francisco Chronicle, went so far as to give Pillar a 10th-place vote on his National League MVP ballot.

Zaidi, who was inspired to find a job in baseball after reading “Moneyball” and broke in as a data analyst for the A’s under Billy Beane, steered clear from a more detailed counterargument. But it’s worth noting that Pillar had a .287 on-base percentage (ranking him 132nd out of 136 qualifying players) and was a modest 1.4 Wins Above Replacement for the Giants, via Baseball-Reference.com. Pillar’s defensive metrics also indicated that the occasional superb catches were outliers to an otherwise down season in the field.

The only statistic Zaidi pointed to in discussing Pillar was 31 — that’s the outfielder’s age for Opening Day 2020. That number played a big role on cutting ties with a player who would have commanded a salary of about $10 million in his final season of arbitration.

“I will say this: I was a Kevin Pillar fan before anybody else in this room. Back when I worked for the Oakland A’s, we tried to trade for him back in 2012. So I have been an appreciator of this guy as a player and a person for a very long time,’’ Zaidi said.

“Obviously, he had a really great year for us. He was a really fun player to watch. But as we thought about where we are as an organization and the gap that we have to make up on our competitors — who I won’t mention this time — we have to do things differently.

“For us, in the outfield in particular, we’ve got some young players that we’re really excited about.”

Zaidi pointed to the way players such as Mike Yastrzemski and Alex Dickerson broke through last season, in part because they were finally given an opportunity.

“I hope that you guys will agree, some of the greatest moments for us were seeing guys coming up from the minor leagues and really performing and feeling like: ‘This guy is going to be part of the next great Giants team,’’’ he said.

“That was really what it boiled down to. We want to give some of these young guys opportunities. We saw what some of the young guys did in 2019 and we need some of those guys to take a step forward next year.”

But some fans in the crowd, recalling a trio of out-of-nowhere Word Series triumphs starting with the “Band of Misfits” team in 2010, suggested that maybe players who compete as hard as Pillar are worth retaining, too.

One fan stood and listed off the three championship years before noting that the Dodgers, for all of their regular-season success, haven’t won a World Series since 1988.

“You can’t be all stats and the computer and not look at the person. So when do you stop that?” one woman asked Zaidi. “We won in 2010 with a team people said would never win the World Series. The Braves were supposed to beat us. The Phillies were supposed to beat us. Where were those stats?”

Zaidi smiled.

“Look, I agree with you,’’ he replied. “Stats aren’t everything. That’s a very easy thing to agree to. And I don’t think it’s reflective of how we work. I can just speak for myself when I say that’s not reflective of my values or the type of players that I want putting on our uniform.

“And I think our job and responsibility as a front office is to get a full picture of every player. What they look like on paper and what kind of teammate they are, what kind of representative of the organization they’re going to be. All that stuff is important.

“And that’s kind of how we operate. So if your question is, ‘Are you guys going to do more than just stats?’ Of course. … You have my word on that. It won’t just all be about stats. But we’re going to use every tool we can use to build the best possible team for this city.”

Madison Bumgarner’s status
    There was a relatively playful exchange late in the night, when a fan wondered where things stood with Bumgarner, the popular former World Series MVP who is a free agent at age 29.

“I mean, he’s a good pitcher,’’ Zaidi deadpanned.

He got a laugh from the crowd with that one before continuing.

“(Bumgarner) is a free agent and we’re in communication there. And he’s going to vet all of his options. Being a free agent is something guys aspire to. It’s nice to be at a point in your career where you’re getting courted and can look around at your options.”

Courted? Are the Giants among those doing the courting?

“We are in communication with his representatives,’’ Zaidi said, deadpan again.

Bumgarner, a four-time All-Star, is expected to command a mega-contract of at least $100 million. He grew up and lives in rural North Carolina and geography might be a factor in his decision.

“Obviously, he has roots in other parts of the country that may be attractive to him,’’ Zaidi said. “It’s his decision. That’s the beauty of free agency for players. But we are going to be involved in that process.”

The coaching search narrows
    Kapler said that the Giants are in the closing stages of several key coaching hires and could announce a hitting coach and pitching coach by the end of this week. He also said the Giants have zeroed on a first-base coach “who is really good at teaching infield.”

Kapler did not disclose specific names other than to say: “Building a strong, dynamic, diverse coaching staff is my favorite part of the job.”

Brian Bannister, who was recently the Red Sox vice president of pitching development and an assistant pitching coach, is reportedly joining the staff although his exact position is not clear yet.
    https://theathletic.com/1433883/2019...shared-article

Giants fans are so soft. Good lord.

Fire Luke Walton

Indeed. Between the reactions to Kapler taking over as manager and Pillar being non-tendered, there's going to need to be a massive suicide watch over the Bay Area if/when Bumgarner signs with another team.

I don't care much about the Kapler or Pillar moves. Honestly, letting Vogt walk bugged me quite a bit more than both.

Page 9 of 20 FirstFirst ... 789101119 ... LastLast