Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by GottaBelieve View Post
    Clayamtion: A-

Mostly nailed it. Forgot to grade MC and Brodie, which I expected him to do. 10 points from Slytherin.
    I see your daughter forced you to watch the Harry Potter movies/read the books.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    If Trump can become president with no political background then I don't understand why I need a resumť

Clayamtion: A-

Mostly nailed it. Forgot to grade MC and Brodie, which I expected him to do. 10 points from Slytherin.
    I thought he was a tad harsh on Cano by giving him a D. He hit the smack out of the ball for most of the second half. While his range was lacking, he was sure-handed and accurate with his throws.

He earned a C. I think Clay was showing his bias against that particular student by marking a D.
    "Ain't got the call no more. Got a lot of sinful idears Ė but they seem kinda sensible...."

The thing with Brody is that the team did improve under him by 9 games.

So while his pen moves cost the team the playoffs, the fact that he did make the moves or player decisions that allowed this team to win 86 games and for the most part it was a fun team to watch.

So while from me he gets a C because of the pen failures mostly based on his two top moves there, the rest mostly worked out, so maybe move him to C+.

Not too many Met teams over their 58 seasons finished as well as 86-76. So yeah, like Cano, I'd give Brody a C.

EDIT: Only 19 other Met teams had records at least as good as the 2019 Mets. That's kind of sad, actually.
    Last edited by fanofclendennon; 09-30-2019 at 02:12 PM.
    "Ain't got the call no more. Got a lot of sinful idears Ė but they seem kinda sensible...."

Quote Originally Posted by fanofclendennon View Post
    I thought he was a tad harsh on Cano by giving him a D. He hit the smack out of the ball for most of the second half. While his range was lacking, he was sure-handed and accurate with his throws.

He earned a C. I think Clay was showing his bias against that particular student by marking a D.
    An average ball player would have received an fWAR of 2, he received 0.8.

He posted a .909 ops in 93 PA, which is 1/6 of the season. Excellent except it was mostly in September. The only reason he didn't get an F was that he posted .909 ops in September. In the other 334 PA he posted an ops of .679.

I stand by my grade. He has to do more than hit .909 against expanded rosters.

"You don't know how to drink. Your whole generation, you drink for the wrong reasons. My generation, we drink because it's good, because it feels better than unbuttoning your collar, because we deserve it. We drink because it's what men do."

So you guys are saying they improved because Brodie didn't trade Alonso, McNeil, Conforto, Wheeler, Noah, deGrom and Amed?

Let me put it another way, if Brodie did nothing this past off season the Mets would have had a better record than 86-76.

"You don't know how to drink. Your whole generation, you drink for the wrong reasons. My generation, we drink because it's good, because it feels better than unbuttoning your collar, because we deserve it. We drink because it's what men do."

Quote Originally Posted by Sick Of It All View Post
    Panik would be too costly a bench player. Iíll stick with Guillorme.
    Guillorme UGH EWWW
    Does nothing at all to inspire me. Can't wait till he gets his walking papers. However it was nice of him to extend that 11th inning yesterday

Quote Originally Posted by Claymation View Post
    So you guys are saying they improved because Brodie didn't trade Alonso, McNeil, Conforto, Wheeler, Noah, deGrom and Amed?

Let me put it another way, if Brodie did nothing this past off season the Mets would have had a better record than 86-76.
    Canít prove that.

Because guys like Wilson, Ramos and Davis helped the team win as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Harleydude666 View Post
    Guillorme UGH EWWW
    Does nothing at all to inspire me. Can't wait till he gets his walking papers. However it was nice of him to extend that 11th inning yesterday
    Guillorme is signed. Panik is not. Even though he is better he is not needed with Lowrie back. Mcneil will be at 3b and lowrie will play off the bench to rest players. Guillorme starts the year in the minors. BOOM

An average ball player would have received an fWAR of 2, he received 0.8.

He posted a .909 ops in 93 PA, which is 1/6 of the season. Excellent except it was mostly in September. The only reason he didn't get an F was that he posted .909 ops in September. In the other 334 PA he posted an ops of .679.

I stand by my grade. He has to do more than hit .909 against expanded rosters.
    Has to do more than hit .909 against expanded rosters, huh?

You mean like when he batted .284 with 6 homers and 6 doubles and an OPS of .834 from July 2 until he got hurt on August 4? That was before he went on his rampage immediately upon his return, against expanded rosters but when the Mets were very much still in the playoff hunt.

Sorry, Dude, but that's not a D grade.

Come on, Clay. At least acknowledge not everything Brodie did was terrible. He took over a team that had two horrible seasons in a row and brought them to 10 games over .500.

Was he a good GM? Absolutely not? But again, a D?

No.

Diaz had a 0.0 WAR, Cano had 0.8.

Lowrie had a .. wait, who's Lowrie again?

JDD was at 2.4 and Ramos at 1.4.

These are not outstanding numbers. Only JDD and Ramos really contributed, and of course Ramos' bat was heavily offset by his glove.

I'm fairly confident if we had not hired a GM and just let the players on the roster sort themselves out, this team would have won 90 or more games and would be playing more baseball.

That's my assessment of BVW so far.

Don't worry. He's got this.

All of Brodie's move equal a net value of 3.7 fWAR. If he just did nothing it would have equated to 2.5 wins, that's assuming that players like Dunn, Kay, DarNo would have performed the way they did, for the sake of the argument let's say they do. But this doesn't account for how pitchers would have pitched to DarNo. Brodie and his moves were worth 1.2 Wins.

You guys are correct that Brodie is the reason the Mets won 86 games instead of 85-84 wins.

I stand corrected.

Quote Originally Posted by fanofclendennon View Post
    Come on, Clay. At least acknowledge not everything Brodie did was terrible. He took over a team that had two horrible seasons in a row and brought them to 10 games over .500.

Was he a good GM? Absolutely not? But again, a D?

No.
    JDD has been solid. I had visions of Matt LaPorta when we got him. I was wrong.

I didn't give Brodie a D, I gave Cano a D.

Diaz had a 0.0 WAR, Cano had 0.8.

Lowrie had a .. wait, who's Lowrie again?

JDD was at 2.4 and Ramos at 1.4.

These are not outstanding numbers. Only JDD and Ramos really contributed, and of course Ramos' bat was heavily offset by his glove.

I'm fairly confident if we had not hired a GM and just let the players on the roster sort themselves out, this team would have won 90 or more games and would be playing more baseball.

That's my assessment of BVW so far.
    But thatís pretty silly because we canít say what would of happen.

I mean who was going to be in the pen? Zamora, Rhame, Sewald all year?

You think that pen somehow would of been better? Really dude you think somehow the shot they had here to begin the season in the pen would of been better? It might of been worse, thatís the thing because no Wilson or Avilan would of been here and those guys were key members of the pen when they got healthy in the second half and Brach also helped a bit in the last two months or so.

So again tell me how Sewald, Rhame, Zamora and that other trash would of been better?

They would of had Lugo and nothing else at all!

And one last thing, other GMís likely would of dealt some of the major league talent to try and restock the team as was rumored by just about every one reporting about the GMís who were available, so odds are that we would not had some of the key contributors here had another GM been brought in.

So again 86 wins is what the team he assembled got, his player decisions on who to keep and trade and acquire is what they got.

Thatís an improvement of 9 wins from last year. Thatís a step in the right direction from where this team was headed the two previous years.

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast