Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 43 of 45 FirstFirst ... 334142434445 LastLast
    Zobrist does have the resources to have handled the situation differently. That being said, he made his decision based on his personal situation and thatís his prerogative. It doesnít make him a bad person. But, his decision shapes my opinion of whether or not Iíd want to sign him as a ball player. I would not.

I understand that a divorce is a traumatic personal event, however it is not uncommon, and people from every walk of life move on without taking a half year leave of absence, all the time. Many people would say that staying busy and getting back to work is part of the recovery process. Heck, there are many instances of players losing a loved one or family member either to illness or unexpectedly and they work thru it.

Again, itís solely his choice to make, but it definitely shapes my opinion as to where his passion and commitment to the game currently resides.
    Last edited by Sockeye; 01-29-2020 at 02:21 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Muttman73 View Post
    Lots of people go through divorce every year, whatever the reason - nobody gets to stop going to work, not if they want to keep their jobs that is. Calling Zobrist a quitter is factual, he quit on his team.
    There's a difference between quitting on your team and dealing with a family matter. As Pierzynski4prez said, if his head wasn't going to be in the game, he's doing his team a service staying away. They saved enough money because of it to sign Kimbrel midseason. That signing didn't work out great last year, but in theory, getting a former ace closer vs. having your distracted utility man would be a win.

[/QUOTE] You guys really think Zobrist is the only pro athlete that has gone thru a divorce during a playing season. Yet, he is the only one I can recall that had to leave the team for an extended time. And I donít mean a week, Iím talking about 5 months. Thatís the part thatís ridiculous [/QUOTE]

Luckily for the next team to sign Zobrist, he won't have a 12 year marriage end while with them.

[/QUOTE] Zobrist is no longer a good player, but I donít blame him at all for taking time away from baseball to try saving his family. That doesnít make him a quitter. He probably should have just went home after this cancelled flight.... [/QUOTE]

Interesting. He was still a positive WAR player last year despite coming back late in the season after having 45 minor league plate appearances.

The strong anti Zobrist sentiment here makes no sense to me. His bat still plays, his defense is still solid at literally anywhere on the field, he could DH, teammates love him, veteran multiple WS winner.

It's not like he would be starting. He's just a really solid guy for your bench who gives at worst average production, average defense at any position, good pinch hitting, and good at bats. Can fill in for stretches, but doesn't need and probably can't handle a starting job at this age. Having a guy like this at the end of your bench is good. Having a proven winner and veteran like him who can still produce is good.

To question his commitment to the game after 15 years is ridiculous. It's the only time in his career he has stepped away, and he already has come back from it. It's not something the Sox would have to deal with. it already happened.

***I have no idea how to multi quote.

Heís going to be 39 years old, if we can sign him to a minor league deal and he makes the team as the 26th man, great!!! But I think Garcia, Mendick and Engel provide more value to our team.

Quote Originally Posted by shorvath721 View Post
    Zobrist is no longer a good player, but I donít blame him at all for taking time away from baseball to try saving his family. That doesnít make him a quitter. He probably should have just went home after this cancelled flight....

https://www.google.com/amp/s/wgntv.c...-illinois/amp/
    Quote Originally Posted by shorvath721 View Post
    Heís going to be 39 years old, if we can sign him to a minor league deal and he makes the team as the 26th man, great!!! But I think Garcia, Mendick and Engel provide more value to our team.
    See, here's a reasonable argument.

I would argue his experience, while still being a positive WAR player with the ability to play most positions on the field, makes him the perfect candidate for the 25th/26th man role.

Most teams on the verge of winning sign a guy or 2 like Zobrist who has won in the past. That would be the main reason IMO to add him. All his other attributes are a bonus as the 25/26th man. I'd rather have kids get time in the minors playing everyday, and let Zobrist have 100-200 ABs. Proven winners like him give legitimacy to your team and that chemistry bonus at the bottom of the roster is big.

But at 39? What position can he play besides 2nd or a corner outfield spot? And can he even do those well? Iíd love a 34 year old Zobrist, but I donít think this team is lacking leadership right now. We have plenty of guys filling that void.

[QUOTE] There's a difference between quitting on your team and dealing with a family matter.[/B] As Pierzynski4prez said, if his head wasn't going to be in the game, he's doing his team a service staying away. They saved enough money because of it to sign Kimbrel midseason. That signing didn't work out great last year, but in theory, getting a former ace closer vs. having your distracted utility man would be a win.

Ok, except when you QUIT on your team to deal with a family matter. Hey, I would have loved to stay home and make PB & J sandwiches for my kids when I got divorced, but guess what, I'm not a multi-millionaire baseball player so as hard as it was, I didn't get to quit my job and stay home - Zobrist did. He had all of the resources in the world to overcome the obstacles but he chose to just quit, it's just that simple. I want no part of him on the White Sox, just my opinion.
    1985 Bears
    2005 White Sox
    2010 Blackhawks
    1991 Bulls

1981 Sting

How do we know he is not still ďdistractedĒ? He certainly didnít light it up when he came back.
    How do we know that he wonít get re-distracted? He is obviously a guy that has/had personal issues that have affected his ability to play.

Why give away a spot on our 40 man roster to a guy who is 39 years old, has personal issues, and offers such limited upside?

We don't want Zobrist! Too many better options out there. On another note, did any of you make it to soxfest? It was a great time, sat just a few feet from Kopech and Carlton Fisk was hilarious in telling abut the near fight he and Deon Saunders got into many years back. If you get a chance, go to CSN Chicago and listen to the Dylan Cease podcast. It's hilarious to hear him try to set the white sox starting lineup. Great time by all!
    We Gotta Believe!

Dealing with family issues isn't quitting on your team.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Click here to register!

Hope to see some new posters around here soon.

IMO a page was just wasted on "ZORBIST A SOX".

A big no.

Unless I am missing someone, I am counting 13 position players on our 26 man roster if you include Mendick, Garcia, Collins, McCann and Engle in addition to our other 8 starters . Do you guys see another move or do we go with 13 pitchers? I kind of think we are set unless they decide they want another option at 2nd or a RF platoon partner. I would like to see Mazara get a full time shot. Still way to young to label him a part-timer. Also, I think Madrigalís progression this spring, will determine if they try to add another 2B. If it looks like he can make it up to the show by mid-year, then I think they ride the Mendick/Garcia combo until Magical is ready. If it looks like he is still a ways off then you might see a Dozier type signing. Also donít forget about Cuthbert.

Quote Originally Posted by Sockeye View Post
    Unless I am missing someone, I am counting 13 position players on our 26 man roster if you include Mendick, Garcia, Collins, McCann and Engle in addition to our other 8 starters . Do you guys see another move or do we go with 13 pitchers? I kind of think we are set unless they decide they want another option at 2nd or a RF platoon partner. I would like to see Mazara get a full time shot. Still way to young to label him a part-timer. Also, I think Madrigalís progression this spring, will determine if they try to add another 2B. If it looks like he can make it up to the show by mid-year, then I think they ride the Mendick/Garcia combo until Magical is ready. If it looks like he is still a ways off then you might see a Dozier type signing. Also donít forget about Cuthbert.
    I think we should be pretty much set for field players. We already have a perfect fit for platooning with Mazara. Leury is good against Lefty's. Mazara is good against Righties. Leury is also going to be our utility guy, and might even play a lot of 2B early on. Mendick and Leury will hold that down until the inevitable Madrigal call up.

Yeah, I donít see much else changing besides keeping collins down in the minors to get everyday at bats. Thereís just not really a spot for him barring injury.

Do you guys see another move or do we go with 13 pitchers? I kind of think we are set unless they decide they want another option at 2nd or a RF platoon partner.

Leury is good against Lefty's. Mazara is good against Righties. Leury is also going to be our utility guy, and might even play a lot of 2B early on.

I think we are placing too much of a burden on Leury to be a platoon OF with Mazara and to play 2B, especially if Madrigal doesn't come up right away.

My own view is that the Sox should consider one of the remaining free agents.

Thatís what a utility player does. Heís not playing LF or CF. There are more RHPís than LHPs so Mazara will start the majority in RF. Leury can handle splitting 2B with Mendick and playing RF Vs LHPs until Madrigal is ready.

Page 43 of 45 FirstFirst ... 334142434445 LastLast