Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 4 of 22 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Bainsy View Post
    Remember when they tried putting Sale in the Pen..........LOL............How that work out for our great FO decision makers?
    Point taken but you have to admit that Sale is not the best example for a RH 100+ mph power pitcher with a body builder frame. Maybe Ed Farmer or Goose Gossage . Another issue is how long his arm will last throwing that kind of heat. He already has had a TJ surgery. Also, consider his potential value if he could blow batters away for an inning with 100 mph gas and become a lock down Closer.

The value of a #2 SP is more than a closer. None of us know how his arm will hold up in either scenario but he deserves the chance to prove himself as a SP.

What if he becomes an Ace?

Quote Originally Posted by shorvath721 View Post
    The value of a #2 SP is more than a closer. None of us know how his arm will hold up in either scenario but he deserves the chance to prove himself as a SP.

What if he becomes an Ace?
    That's what I am saying............There's no guarantee he wont get injured in the pen. IMO i think he's got a better chance knowing he is pitching every 5th day..........The pen is, your up ,your down and you have to pitch back to back. So yes ......he needs to start and my feeling is he will be the ace of this staff for the next 5-6 years.

And who knows, you might be right about Kopech and him eventually not succeeding at SP and ending up as a RP, but I think he deserves a shot to prove himself first in the rotation. We need guys that can be electric for 2/3 of there starts.

Lůpez has shown flashes, but as you noted, it seems like he struggles against good teams, so maybe a move to the pen and adding another 2-3 MPH to his stuff makes him the exact thing you are looking for with them to do with Kopech.
    I'm not really saying this as a never use Kopech in the rotation type of thing. I'm saying next year, his 1st year back from surgery, stretch him out as a high leverage RP. It's a more practical and conservative move, that might actually pay huge dividends. I truly see him having a Hader esque impact as a back end reliever. Hader is one of the most valuable pitchers in the league, even as a reliever. I don't think the Brewers sniff the playoffs without him. I think Kopech is a safer bet as a sure thing late inning reliever, rather then a starter right now.

The argument that he "deserves a shot in the rotation" is making decisions with your heart. I'm not saying he shouldn't start though. I'm just saying maybe there is a good alternative option.

I just donít feel that pitching high leverage innings multiple times a week makes sense for a guy coming of an injured elbow. Seems like you would rather have him on a normal schedule of throwing....again, I have no medical clue on this, just my take.

Also, Hader is a lefty. Thereís tons of right handed pitchers throwing 100+. Why do we think Kopech would have similar value as Hader?

I just looked at Rich Gossage stats. His career spanned 22 years. Not every Closer or starter has a career that long but as closer I think Kopech would have a better chance for a longer career.
    Kopech does remind me of Sale somewhat because he exerts maximum effort on every pitch. I can't believe Sale has lasted this long without a major arm injury so Maybe Kopech can do the same.. I just don't think he will for some reason.
    Last edited by garypeters; 10-02-2019 at 01:38 AM.

We also might have had a solid pen this year, but I canít help but feel like we lacked that elite overpowering type at the backend. Iím sure hitters donít go up there thinking theyíre going to get overpowered by any of our guys. Throw Kopech in there and that definitely changes.

Watching Pomeranz last night, and for the last month or so, I think heíd be a solid late innings reliever to chase. He froze Rendon and pitched 2 great innings. Heís been doing that consistently for the Brewers

Yep, Iím sure he earned himself a nice contract. Heís going to have a lot of teams interested in him especially with a weak year of RP free agents. He might be the best available.

We can all agree it would be nice to add some more arms to the pen, but it just seems we will have to agree to disagree on Kopech.

Yep, Iím sure he earned himself a nice contract. Heís going to have a lot of teams interested in him especially with a weak year of RP free agents. He might be the best available.

We can all agree it would be nice to add some more arms to the pen, but it just seems we will have to agree to disagree on Kopech.
    I mean I definitely didnít expect agreements on Kopech to pen lol. Who wants a headline piece in the Sale deal not starting? But from a logical stand point, I think it has a higher probability of making us better next season. At the end of the day, thatís all I want.

It's a lot easier to find BP arms than a potential Ace. We need an ace. If it doesn't work for Kopech then I'm sure you and I and others would agree on trying him in the pen.

If we need to move a starter to the pen though I'd much rather it be Lopez

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by dabears34ft View Post
    I mean I definitely didnít expect agreements on Kopech to pen lol. Who wants a headline piece in the Sale deal not starting? But from a logical stand point, I think it has a higher probability of making us better next season. At the end of the day, thatís all I want.
    It's your opinion, not necessarily a logical standpoint that has any guarantee to make us better next year.

Quote Originally Posted by Pierzynski4Prez View Post
    It's a lot easier to find BP arms than a potential Ace. We need an ace. If it doesn't work for Kopech then I'm sure you and I and others would agree on trying him in the pen.

If we need to move a starter to the pen though I'd much rather it be Lopez

Agree 100%. Right now we need atleast 2-3 SP to turn this team into a playoff contender next season

Quote Originally Posted by garypeters View Post
    Point taken but you have to admit that Sale is not the best example for a RH 100+ mph power pitcher with a body builder frame. Maybe Ed Farmer or Goose Gossage . Another issue is how long his arm will last throwing that kind of heat. He already has had a TJ surgery. Also, consider his potential value if he could blow batters away for an inning with 100 mph gas and become a lock down Closer.
    When Chris Sale was drafted there was an agreement that he would be brought up that year, putting him in the bullpen was the only practical way to accomplish that. I'm pretty sure Mark Buehrle started his career the same way. It's not that unusual and it makes a lot of sense.
    1985 Bears
    2005 White Sox
    2010 Blackhawks
    1991 Bulls

1981 Sting

We just don't know if Kopech will have the velocity and movement on his fastball that he had prior to the TJ surgery. Just a few mph difference could determine how he is used in 2020 and beyond.

ReyLo is another issue. He can throw 97mph fastballs all day but sometimes his slider and change-up aren't working. His fastball does not always have enough movement on it to be effective, especially when he relies on it too much. That isn't going to work in the rotation or in the pen. He needs to figure it out or we will have another hole in the rotation to fill. Having said that at least ReyLo has some chance to make it whereas Fulmer appears to be a lost cause.

Page 4 of 22 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast