Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 31 of 45 FirstFirst ... 21293031323341 ... LastLast
    After his TJ surgery which he will be like 20 months removed by opening day, I think. The worst thing you can do is put him in the bullpen....The uncertainty of not knowing when you pitching,the up and down of getting warmed up.Plus the fact that he will be a #1 if he lives up to potential, there's not a doubt about that. And finally we traded a future HOFer for him. He's a starter. As far as people bringing up pitch counts...They all will be in the beginning of the year....for about 5 starts or so....

Reports are he's feeling great and already reached triple digits....I've read somewhere...

Trading a future Hall of Famer should have zero to do with using a guy in the best way for the team. Josh Hader was supposed to be a starter as well. You think the Brewers are a playoff team with him in the rotation once every 5 games the last 2 years rather than using him in high leverage situations 3-4 times a week? Outside of Yelich, he was their MVP. He was their Cy Young. Hell he was damn near the Cy Young in the NL the past 2 years.

If we are talking about the fact that we traded Kopech for Sale as a reason for anything, that's all the reason to put him in a spot where we can hopefully preserve his arm, and give him an easier platform for success. He throws triple digits and had Tommy John. While it seems like a lot of guys come back great from Tommy John, there will still be a fear that it could happen again. To me, I think his arm is more at risk at pitch 100+ compared to the uncertainty of when you will pitch in the pen. I also think he'd be closer to a sure thing superstar as a late inning reliever than a starter. No batter is going to want to face a guy like Kopech at the end of the game. We also don't have that BP presence where you expect a strike out. That is an important thing to have. That would be Kopech. You put him in in the 7th or 8th inning with a guy on 3rd with less than 2 outs. You need a K to save a 1 run lead. I would feel really comfortable with Kopech there.

Also, let's not act like Moncada was just as big a part of that Sale trade. What Moncada did last year Plus an elite Late in Reliever would be a win in my book for Sale. Especially because we didn't have to risk paying Sale when his arm goes to ****.

At this point in his career he will be a starter...The FO has said he (Kopech) has said...So you might want to get used to the idea. I believe the last WS has proved how IMPORTANT starting pitching is, did the Nationals put Strasburg in the pen after his surgery? I guess Gerrit Cole is going to the pen too.........chill dude.

Josh Hader in the Minors:

127 Games
    95 Starts
    541.1 Innings
    610 K's
    3.26 ERA
    1.22 WHIP

Prior to his call up he had 37 starts in 37 games. I don't think they intended on him being a reliever. What happened was he was so damn dominant at it, that everyone was on board that it made the team better.

Michael Kopech in the Minors:

85 Games
    84 Starts
    395.2 Innings
    514 K's
    3.05 ERA
    1.21 WHIP

ERA and WHIP are right on par in the minors. Kopech had a better K rate. Nothing about Kopech's stuff says he wouldn't be an elite Reliever like Hader. We have 5 solid starters to start the season not counting Kopech. We have 2 guys working their way back for depth late in the season in Dunning and Rodon. We have Steiver paving his way in the Minors. We have starting pitching depth. Kopech would give us an elite reliever without having to trade specs late in the year. To me, we win more games because of Kopech in the pen than we would having him start.

Those stats prove absolutely nothing...You can plug a lot of different guys stats to Haders....But its your opinion so go with it. The Sox are not going to put him in the bullpen,period. Now lets look at it from Kopech's point of view.
    Elite prospect, destined for greatness..........chance to get a deal similar to Cole's as a starter if he realizes his potential.....He would fight the Sox FO tooth and nail to stay a starter (Like Sale did).....So he would love to "cap" his potential future earnings to go to the pen? And please don't respond "what's best" for the team....The 2020 White Sox only chance to make the playoffs is for Kopech and Robert to play like all stars.

Right now everyone on here is acting like the Sox have the division won...To be objective here...They have a better shot at it, but it's not like the Twins, Yankees and the Astros are shaking in their boots cause we signed a few guys...

According to Morosi, Sox still interested in signing Castellanos even after signing Kuechel

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Trent Dilfer & Tim Hasselbeck

Also, James Fox trotting Sox are working on an extension for Luis Robert. Looking at 8 years in the $80-$90m range

Trent Dilfer & Tim Hasselbeck

Quote Originally Posted by Bainsy View Post
    Those stats prove absolutely nothing...You can plug a lot of different guys stats to Haders....But its your opinion so go with it. The Sox are not going to put him in the bullpen,period. Now lets look at it from Kopech's point of view.
    Elite prospect, destined for greatness..........chance to get a deal similar to Cole's as a starter if he realizes his potential.....He would fight the Sox FO tooth and nail to stay a starter (Like Sale did).....So he would love to "cap" his potential future earnings to go to the pen? And please don't respond "what's best" for the team....The 2020 White Sox only chance to make the playoffs is for Kopech and Robert to play like all stars.
    Well after recent signings, one of Cease, Lopez, or Kopech has to go to the BP. Spring training will dictate that I think but I see both sides to the argument.

I'm in the camp that Kopech is our future Ace as a SP, however I don't see that as being required of him in 2020. I am all for him being in the rotation, but the Gio Gonzalez signing has me wondering what route the FO will take.

And for the record, it doesn't matter about Kopech's point of view. Lots of guys from the bullpen want to be an SP. Hell, probably every one of them started out as an SP. Performance and depth though dictates their direction. Kopech has 14 Innings Pitched at the big league level. Not really a comparison to what Chris Sale did in his 1st two years (nearly 100 innings of relief) before moving to the rotation.

And if we're banking on just those 2 guys, 1 of whom has never seen MLB pitching and the other with 14 innings of big league experience, we might as well just focus the discussion on 2021.
    Last edited by Pierzynski4Prez; 12-23-2019 at 04:41 PM.

Im not sure how Gio Gonzalez is assured a spot in the rotation? A 34 year old who's bounced around a bit! If the kids all pitch well I see him as the odd man out.

Quote Originally Posted by ChiMaverick View Post
    According to Morosi, Sox still interested in signing Castellanos even after signing Kuechel

Now that would make me happy....

A Robert extension would be nice....Not sure if its something that will happen tho...He;s not hurting for money like Eloy was....He's got his bonus, and its a nice amount.

Payroll is at about 106 million after all the recent additions.

Extending Robert at 8/80 probably would have him at about 4-5 million in the 1st year (assuming it's done similar to Eloy's, just a bit higher on the AAV)

So roughly 110 million committed at the moment, I'd think we have still about 15ish million to play with. Castellanos would be huge. Still not a great defensive OF, but tremendous depth on this team.

Bench would consist of Leury, McCann, Mazara to start.

Career longevity as a Starter vs Closer is something I would consider if I was Kopech. Ultimately the decision is his but in the meantime a few former mlb pitchers like Farmio would probably be happy to offer their advice if he asked for it.

Page 31 of 45 FirstFirst ... 21293031323341 ... LastLast