Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 3 of 21 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast
    We are in dire need of starting pitching...id keep him in that role until he fails. Our bullpen has shown signs of improvement, we have a few other options to move to the pen if needed like López and Rodon that might be better suited long term anyways

Agreed. If Cease or Lopez were a bit more consistent this year I'd be more inclined to go with that move. But we need to have quality starts next year from our rotation or we will easily waste having a strong offense.

Lopez needs to have a short leash next year.

All depends what we do in FA too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Muttman73 View Post
    Just curious, I thought only Top 10 were protected - Sox are at 11.
    Well in my defense I think when I made that post we were. Then came Detroit.

Is it definitely protected though? Man I hope so.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

We can go after a big name pitcher and bring back Nova and use Kopech as the RH Setup and Bummer as the LH Setup with Colome Closing.

FA/Giolito/Cease/Nova/Lopez would be a great rotation with a back 3 of Kopech/Bummer/Colome.

Look at the rotation the Yankees are using. Their top 4 guys have been Really Good German, Average Tanaka, Slightly Above Average Paxton, and Average Happ. They were anchored by hitting and a deep Bullpen.

Brewers were pretty much slightly above average as their top guy and below average at the back end of the rotation, but they also had a good BP.

If we added a potential Ace via Free Agency, paired with our own ace in Gio, an average inning eating Vet in Nova, and 2 high potential young pitchers, with a great Bull pen, and our hitting, and we are a playoff team and contender

You have to give Kopech a chance for a rotation spot over López and Cease in my opinion. Maybe only 140 IP this year, but he deserves a chance to prove himself.

You guys keep talking about these great bullpens, but I’d prefer a great rotation like the Astros any day of the week...or the 2005 White Sox!!!!!

Let’s see how quickly the brewers get bounced from the post season, they won’t last long with that rotation

Quote Originally Posted by shorvath721 View Post
    You have to give Kopech a chance for a rotation spot over López and Cease in my opinion. Maybe only 140 IP this year, but he deserves a chance to prove himself.

You guys keep talking about these great bullpens, but I’d prefer a great rotation like the Astros any day of the week...or the 2005 White Sox!!!!!

Let’s see how quickly the brewers get bounced from the post season, they won’t last long with that rotation
    We wouldn’t have a bad rotation. We have 2 potential aces and a top prospect with high upside in this scenario. Kopech wouldn’t be moving to the pen permanently, but why not bring him along slow, while using him in a highly important role that he could flourish in.

He’s going to be over 18 months recovered from the surgery. I agree, he needs to be used wisely next year and kept around 150 IP max, I just don’t know if pitching multiple days a week is going to be good for his recovery.

To me, you start López in that role in the pen, and watch him flourish. We would have other SP prospects to call up throughout the year, as well as the trade deadline if we are competitive

Quote Originally Posted by dabears34ft View Post
    We can go after a big name pitcher and bring back Nova and use Kopech as the RH Setup and Bummer as the LH Setup with Colome Closing.

FA/Giolito/Cease/Nova/Lopez would be a great rotation with a back 3 of Kopech/Bummer/Colome.

Look at the rotation the Yankees are using. Their top 4 guys have been Really Good German, Average Tanaka, Slightly Above Average Paxton, and Average Happ. They were anchored by hitting and a deep Bullpen.

Brewers were pretty much slightly above average as their top guy and below average at the back end of the rotation, but they also had a good BP.

If we added a potential Ace via Free Agency, paired with our own ace in Gio, an average inning eating Vet in Nova, and 2 high potential young pitchers, with a great Bull pen, and our hitting, and we are a playoff team and contender
    Based on last year, the bolded part of the rotation needs to improve or be replaced. Cease obviously is a little different and will get some time to develop, but I'd like to avoid rolling out BOTH Lopez and Nova next year if we could. 1 of them would be fine as our #5, as long as Cease is progressing.

You keep preaching how 2020 has always been the year, but nothing will happen if we have 3 starters in our rotation pushing out 4.50+ ERAs.
    Last edited by Pierzynski4Prez; 10-01-2019 at 10:11 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by shorvath721 View Post

Totally agree....He's a starter and its way to early to think about putting him in the BP. He will be dominating as a starter....

Remember when they tried putting Sale in the Pen..........LOL............How that work out for our great FO decision makers?

Quote Originally Posted by Pierzynski4Prez View Post
    Based on last year, the bolded part of the rotation needs to improve or be replaced. Cease obviously is a little different and will get some time to develop, but I'd like to avoid rolling out BOTH Lopez and Nova next year if we could. 1 of them would be fine as our #5, as long as Cease is progressing.

You keep preaching how 2020 has always been the year, but nothing will happen if we have 3 starters in our rotation pushing out 4.50+ ERAs.
    Nova posted a 3.72 ERA 1.36 WHIP post All-Star Break. He also posted a 3.25 ERA 1.30 WHIP vs. teams .500 or better. I think he is a capable 4.

Lopez was the opposite. He was better vs. the lesser teams. He was decent in the 2nd half, and did trickle in some stellar starts.

Obviously Cease and Lopez need to improve, which they should since neither are even close to their prime. But if you add a guy like Kopech to a BP with Colome and Bummer, it would give a huge boost to our starting rotation. Cease is the only guy that we shouldn't expect to be capable of going deep into games yet. If you can get 5-6 solid innings from him, our BP with Marshall/Kopech/Bummer/Colome could carry to late innings. Nova is an innings eater. He's the type of guy that gives the BP a break. As would whatever Potential Ace we sign and Giolito who looks like a throwback work horse.

Nova and López had about 25 combined quality starts last year. With Cease slotted in as our #4, we need way better performances next year if we plan on competing from our rotation.

Plug in Kopech, sign two guys and allow López to thrive in the pen or start a few games when needed is my recommendation.

https://www.bostonglobe.com/sports/r...pmN/story.html

In 2020:
    ■ The number of players on the active roster through Aug. 31 will increase from 25 to 26. In September, teams will be required to expand to a 28-man roster — with the 40-man monstrosity becoming a thing of the past.

I missed all of this, I like this idea a lot.
    1985 Bears
    2005 White Sox
    2010 Blackhawks
    1991 Bulls

1981 Sting

And who knows, you might be right about Kopech and him eventually not succeeding at SP and ending up as a RP, but I think he deserves a shot to prove himself first in the rotation. We need guys that can be electric for 2/3 of there starts.

López has shown flashes, but as you noted, it seems like he struggles against good teams, so maybe a move to the pen and adding another 2-3 MPH to his stuff makes him the exact thing you are looking for with them to do with Kopech.

https://www.baseballamerica.com/stor...ges-the-draft/

Changes in the draft, also good news.
    1985 Bears
    2005 White Sox
    2010 Blackhawks
    1991 Bulls

1981 Sting

Page 3 of 21 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast