Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 21 of 41 FirstFirst ... 11192021222331 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by dabears34ft View Post
    I hope that's false. I'm not a huge fan of Ozuna. He isn't a great enough bat to sacrifice more defense. We are already sacrificing in LF and to an extent SS, but those guys carry upside.
    It depends on the contract. Iím ok with a 4 year deal. His defense isnít that bad, especially in a small park. Iím guessing him and Eloy would rarely both be in the field together, and those two guys play roughly 90 games at DH combined.

Quote Originally Posted by Sockeye View Post
    Letís just say for arguments sake, that we can make a deal like the one mentioned for Betts. If we are in contention for the division, it would probably be be worth it, as it has probably worked out for us right?

On the flip side, letís say we made the deal, but it hasnít worked out, how much less could we get back for Betts at the deadline than we gave up to get him in the first place? Is that drop off in assets worth a half season of Betts and the opportunity to roll the dice and increase our chances to sign him and see if it puts us in contention?
    Yeah, I like your thought here, however, I just donít see Boston trading him for that. I think Boston will only trade him if blown away with a deal.

Yeah, itís hard to say. It really depends on how motivated they are to cut payroll and if they feel they can contend this year. A 1 year rental making the money that Betts is, is not going to net them too much.

I guess itís all relative, as the more Boston would expect for him, then the more we should expect if we flip him at the deadline for a contender, especially since he would cost less than half his 2020 salary at that point.

I don't think we should trade for Mookie without a contract extension guarantee. Our best path for success is to land an ace this year to take pressure off our young arms, and add a consistent pitcher. We should look short term at RF, and make a run at Mookie in FA. If we can make a playoff push this year, a guy like Mookie would come if he gets what he's worth.

Bumgartner is looking for a deal similar to Wheeler's (nine figure)........It'a big gamble 5 years plus the nine figures. But I like him and would do it ,but it has to be done now. If the Yankees lose out on Cole or Strasburg , he's value will be even higher.

The Ozuna rumor is just that IMO....I actually hope its Puig now and this rumor might get him signed sooner rather then later.....Castellanos looks like is going to be a huge "overpay", so Id go with Puig.

I know what you are saying but given the choice, I would probably overpay if I could get Castellanos. A much better fit and a more stable presence in the dugout.
    5/100 is what was once anticipated. Not sure what overpaying would be though so I may be talking out my @zz.

Strasburg deal is INSANE....

Well......good luck signing Bumgartner now or anyone else, worth a damn!!!

I'd give Bumgarner 4 year 100 or 5 year 125. Lefty Vet with a low 1's WHIP, solid control, solid K rate, top of the line pedigree. I'd feel more comfortable paying Bummy that money than paying Wheeler.

If the White Sox decide to go for 2 SP's, Alex Wood wouldn't be a bad 2nd signing for our rotation.

In reading Hahnís latest comments from the winter meetings, they may be pivoting to next year to go all in. Could be a response to the insane pitching market right now, or could just be posturing.

The first question that comes up is, what kind of pitcher do they think they are going to get next year? All indications are the SP market is going to be very down, next offseason.

Quote Originally Posted by Sockeye View Post
    In reading Hahnís latest comments from the winter meetings, they may be pivoting to next year to go all in. Could be a response to the insane pitching market right now, or could just be posturing.

The first question that comes up is, what kind of pitcher do they think they are going to get next year? All indications are the SP market is going to be very down, next offseason.
    That doesn't mean they aren't going to get a solid pitcher. Just might mean they don't expect MadBum or Cole to sign this year, and Stras and Wheeler are already gone. Give me Keuchel now, and Mookie next year and call it a rebuild.

I'm cool going into this year with:
    Eloy/Robert/Leury as our 3 OF's.
    Grandal/Moncada/Anderson/Madrigal/Abreu as our IF.
    Collins/Grandal/Abreu/Eloy/McCann as our DH's.

I think with that group, adding Keuchel and Kopech to our Rotation, and maybe a few small under the radar moves to add depth the our OF and BP, we should have a solid season. That would leave us with limitless flexibility for next year and Mookie is the perfect fit for us. Imagine a 2021 offense of:

Madrigal
    Mookie
    Robert
    Moncada
    Abreu
    Eloy
    Grandal
    Anderson
    Collins/Vaughn

It might be Right hand Dominant, but we do have 2 switch hitters and a lefty in Collins if he pans out this year. I feel like we have to give Collins a shot to succeed and this is a good year to do it. He has made strides in the minors, and while he struggled out of the gate in the Majors, so do a lot of young hitters. Moncada was an awful MLB hitter for his 1st 800 career AB's.

With all that being said, I wouldn't mind us looking into Shogo Akiyama for our OF. Lefty Bat, High Average and OBP, solid HR and RBI production, good defense. While foreign players always come with uncertainty, he seems to be the one OF'er on the open market who doesn't really come with glaring holes on paper.

Page 21 of 41 FirstFirst ... 11192021222331 ... LastLast