Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 10 of 11 FirstFirst ... 891011 LastLast
    I really like Castellanos. Always killed us. It seems like he’s a great team guy. I know he really fit in well in the cubs clubhouse and I thought they’d be certain to keep him. He would be a nice consolation to missing out on JD Martinez. We need a frontline starter and two bullpen arms to.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My only concern with him is his defense. Bad outfields are not the blueprint of World Series winning teams.

You have to start somewhere, he can be a part time RF, part time DH.
    1985 Bears
    2005 White Sox
    2010 Blackhawks
    1991 Bulls

1981 Sting

Thinking something like this as my mock offseason.

Tender
    • Alex Colomé, $10.3 million
    • James McCann, $4.9 million
    • Carlos Rodón, $4.5 million
    • Leury García, $4 million
    • Evan Marshall, $1.3 million
    • Yolmer Sánchez, $6.2 million

Resign:
    José Abreu: 3 years/45 million

Free Agency (players who I think we realistically have a chance, i.e. no Cole/Rendon/Strasburg)
    • Nick Castellanos: 4 years/60 million
    • Yasmani Grandal: 4 years/64 million
    • Jake Odorizzi: 4 years/70 million
    • Drew Pomeranz: 3 years/20 million

Lineup
    1. Robert (CF)
    2. Anderson (SS)
    3. Moncada (3B)
    4. Abreu (1B)
    5. Jimenez (LF)
    6. Castellanos (RF)
    7. Grandal (C)
    8. Collins (DH)
    9. Madrigal (2B)

Bench
    L. Garcia
    McCann
    Engel
    Yolmer

Rotation:
    1. Giolito
    2. Odorizzi
    3. Kopech
    4. Cease
    5. Lopez

Bullpen
    Colome
    Pomeranz
    Marshall
    Bummer
    Herrera
    Fry
    Cordero
    Fulmer/Covey

When Rodon returns, he would likely head to the pen or replace any of Cease/Lopez/Kopech if any of those 3 are struggling.

Payroll is about 125 million, which is about 5-10 more than I assume we can spend. But we can potentially have some of the FA contracts come in lower than the average in year 1. 2021 we have Yolmer/Rodon/Herrera off the books to help with some of the increases.

Hopefully 84-90 wins.
    Last edited by Pierzynski4Prez; 11-07-2019 at 02:53 PM.

I could live with most of that...don’t think we keep Yolmer though at that price. Would prefer another pitcher if we are giving out 3 big contracts, but if this happened, I’d be happy.

Cubs will probably sign Castellanos because that is where he was comfortable playing last season, the cubs want him and the Rikketts will spend whatever it takes to get what they want......and Boras Corp will make sure they do.
    Last edited by garypeters; 11-07-2019 at 07:43 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by shorvath721 View Post
    I could live with most of that...don’t think we keep Yolmer though at that price. Would prefer another pitcher if we are giving out 3 big contracts, but if this happened, I’d be happy.
    I don’t either, but I also don’t expect Madrigal to be the starting 2B on day 1. So not sure who takes that spot and we can use the defense.

What about Moustakas as the beginning 2B and then DH if Madrigal proves he is ready. Lefty bat and shouldn’t cost too much.

Could also just see them using García at 2nd until Madrigal is ready. I wouldn’t mind Moustakas on a 1-2 year deal, but he scares me at 2nd...you can hide him there a few games I guess.

Quote Originally Posted by shorvath721 View Post
    Could also just see them using García at 2nd until Madrigal is ready. I wouldn’t mind Moustakas on a 1-2 year deal, but he scares me at 2nd...you can hide him there a few games I guess.
    We shouldn't waste any money at 2B. I think Madrigal seems pretty ready to me. Elite contact will translate at any level IMO. As well as Elite defense.

Yeah, Garcia and Moustakas can fill in for the first month until he’s ready and then Moustakas can slide to DH/1st. He’s not my first target, but after last year not getting anyone, I’d be happy with him on a short deal.

You have to start somewhere, sign one of these guys and let the pieces start to fill in.
    1985 Bears
    2005 White Sox
    2010 Blackhawks
    1991 Bulls

1981 Sting

I do really like the idea of adding Drew Pomeranz. He was solid for 2 innings late for the Brewers.

My hope is that Hahn/KW/Jerry prioritize getting a RF.
    If the Sox trade for Benintendi, for example, that would lessen the need to add another LH hitter.
    On the other hand, if they sign Castellanos, they might try to sign Tsutsogoh from Japan or another LH hitting outfielder that can occasionally platoon with Castellanos.

I don’t mind the idea of a trade (benintendi) or a starting pitcher as long as it is really part of a salary dump that will not cost us a lot of prospect capital. Supposedly, Boston is really motivated to shave payroll, and it sounds like the Cubs might be as well.

Page 10 of 11 FirstFirst ... 891011 LastLast