Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 20 of 20 FirstFirst ... 10181920
    Quote Originally Posted by Muttman73 View Post
    Maybe not, but they have to get somebody and there are not a lot of options. They absolutely cannot go into 2020 without adding at least 1 respectable frontline pitcher.
    I was referring to the Giants not us lol

Quote Originally Posted by ds637 View Post
    Curious if you guys think this is the Sox first contend year or if it is next year.

Got a couple players I like as either this is the content year or to trade and be prepped for next year as a true contention year.

Rick Porcello - Think if you can get him recovered to anywhere near his peak he would be a massive deadline trade guy or someone to actually be on the team. Would think a 1-2 year deal would be no lose. Solid inning eater without much arm injury risk and if he pitchers anywhere near his potential keeper or decent trade haul.

Felix Hernendez - I know. He's been pretty bad for years. I think the Sox structure with a leader like Abreu would be great for him. I'm convinced he has basically been a lazy **** like Miguel Cabrera and neglected his own talent. He's too young to drop this fast. His starter days may be done, but if you can rebuild him on a minimum deal as a reliever this could be a huge value.

Ben Zobrist - Wouldn't be an impact signing by any stretch. I think they need to add a guy like him. 200ish plate appearances and he should still be above average. Mainly think they need to add a champ like him to the locker room to make the end goal more serious to the young guys.

Castellanos - Pipe dream IMO but would be amazing. Plenty of prime years, isn't going to destroy the bank, maybe just pee on it.

Kipnis - depending on price, feel like you could rehab him and use as trade bait or a major bench piece. Don't think he ever came back properly from injury so an initial bench role might get him back.

Andrew Cashner - He's due for a pen role. His arm can't handle starting and he has great stuff. Perfect age to get him in the pen for a few great years.

Addison Russell - Dumbass, but solid + war player. Give him a year as a backup and let people forget his past, maybe he grows up. He's so young, still great potential, don't think it's fair to judge him for the rest of his life based on an early 20's kid being a ****ing *******. He just doesn't seem like a permanent bad guy, I think he can rebuild his character.

Greg Bird - Minimal money. This is basically if you think the Sox might move Abreu before his deal is over. I love Abreu. If Bird could stay healthy enough to DH, he might help you save money on Abreu and get a decent prospect.

Puig - I can't stand him. I think he would be good piece to sign cheap, let him go out an prove himself early and dump him on someone.

Avisail Garcia - Great bring back target if he's cheap. Would be a nice 4th outfielder.
    It's an impossible question to answer. We need things to go right. As does any MLB team. We need to 1st and foremost add at least 1 good SP. We also have to wait and see how well Madrigal and Robert transition to the majors. We need Cease to make strides with his command, we need Giolito to not be a fluke, we need Kopech to stay healthy.

I guess the best answer is, we can at least hope to contend for the AL Central and possibly the WC this year. Next year we should expect to be a playoff team or we should all be disappointed. I've been pointing at 2020 as our Turn Around year for a long time. Hopefully I wasn't overzealous

Quote Originally Posted by dabears34ft View Post
    I was referring to the Giants not us lol
    HaH - sorry man, I'm just used to getting jumped on in here. I read that too, SF doesn't want to pay him. I'd give him $100M/4 for years to come to Chicago. Structure it so he gets more up front 35/30/20/15 or something along those lines, a win - win for both sides.
    1985 Bears
    2005 White Sox
    2010 Blackhawks
    1991 Bulls

1981 Sting

The Sox can definitely contend in 2020. They were 42-44 at the all star break, sending out Castillo for a majority of games at catcher until he got injured. Alonzo as our 1B/ DH, and Palka in RF. For the 2nd half we still didnít have a DH, RF and half a rotation. You replace those holes with even replacement level players and you can make an argument that the Sox can contend.

Keep in mind, that this is not the west or east. The AL and NL central divisions are the most winnable in baseball.
    Last edited by Sockeye; Yesterday at 11:46 PM.

Page 20 of 20 FirstFirst ... 10181920