Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 13 of 41 FirstFirst ... 3111213141523 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Muttman73 View Post
    I think this sends a message that the White Sox are serious this year. I have a good feeling that there is more to come.
    Yeah. This is why I wasn't mad about last year at all. I didn't even really want us to overpay Machado or Harper because if we did, and sucked, the uproar would have tore our rebuild apart. I always said, last year we threw our names into the mix to get the leagues attention. We let our young guys develop, and our injured arms heal, and now we are ready to go all in with some pretty solid hype surrounding us. We will no doubt get one of the top 5 pitchers on the market. I'd be ok finding a cheap short term option for RF to keep us flexible next year when Mookie hits the open market.

Interesting that they went catcher first. While I like the signing, it was definitely not their most pressing need. I wonder what this means regarding how much they are willing to spend on RF and Starting Pitching. I really feel like we need 2 Starters.
    I also wonder what this means for McCann. 1 year left on contract. Do they DH McCann and use him as a backup to rest Grandal, or can he be packaged as part of a trade for another piece?

Quote Originally Posted by Sockeye View Post
    Interesting that they went catcher first. While I like the signing, it was definitely not their most pressing need. I wonder what this means regarding how much they are willing to spend on RF and Starting Pitching. I really feel like we need 2 Starters.
    I also wonder what this means for McCann. 1 year left on contract. Do they DH McCann and use him as a backup to rest Grandal, or can he be packaged as part of a trade for another piece?
    Keep McCann around. Let him catch Giolito and feel in at times at DH. His numbers crept back to his career averages late last season. While I wouldn't have been mad if we stuck with McCann as the main guy, I'm glad our FO didn't settle. While SP is our biggest need, followed by RF/DH, followed by BP, Catcher was still a need, and now we can make a run at SP's with one of the best defensive Catchers in the league. What elite SP wouldn't want Yasmani catching their games. I see this as a power move by our FO, and I think there is more to come.

Elite catchers are few and far between. Grandal is 31. Molina has been pretty damn good 31-34. This is a great start to Free Agency, and a statement to the league that we aren't sitting back and waiting for **** to happen

The whole pitching staff gets better when you add an elite pitch framer. Iím very excited about this signing. The fact that they jumped on a top name this early says a lot about where they think they are in the rebuild.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Given the recent FA landscape, I donít think we could prioritize the positions that we sign in order of preference. If someone we want on the team is ready you sign him now. Pitchers might all wait for the big dogs to fall first.

I donít see another bat getting signed, unless itís a 1-2 year deal for a RF, so maybe Puig. I see the focus shifting to pitching now.

A pitcher has to be next, a good one. The Sox can probably get by with Leury in RF if they have to, but that's not what they said they were going to do. I'm going to predict Wheeler and Castellanos are both signed.
    The rest of this team, except Abreu are cheap; Moncada/Anderson/Madrigal/Eloy/Robert/Gio/Cease/Lopez/Kopech Ö Vaughn in 2021. They can afford to add two more premium guys to the payroll and I honestly think they will.
    1985 Bears
    2005 White Sox
    2010 Blackhawks
    1991 Bulls

1981 Sting

Quote Originally Posted by dabears34ft View Post
    Keep McCann around. Let him catch Giolito and feel in at times at DH. His numbers crept back to his career averages late last season. While I wouldn't have been mad if we stuck with McCann as the main guy, I'm glad our FO didn't settle. While SP is our biggest need, followed by RF/DH, followed by BP, Catcher was still a need, and now we can make a run at SP's with one of the best defensive Catchers in the league. What elite SP wouldn't want Yasmani catching their games. I see this as a power move by our FO, and I think there is more to come.
    I agree with you 100% - The White Sox are making a statement - God I hope we are right.
    1985 Bears
    2005 White Sox
    2010 Blackhawks
    1991 Bulls

1981 Sting

Iíd be surprised after this move if we allocate more long term money to a position player...I really think KW has his eyes set on Mookie next year and they will look to the trade market for a possible 1-2 year OF like Jackie Bradley Jr, or sign a guy like Puig for 1-2 years.

Thatís just my opinion, but I see the SP position as the only spot we will give a big contract to now that Grandal is on board. I also see the Sox looking to extend Giolito and Moncada

Iíd prefer to see most remaining resources go towards starting pitching. I think you can plug a relatively cheap FA, later in the offseason, into right field and get much more production than we got last season, there.
    Pitching is a must. RF is now a luxury after the Grandal signing. You canít load the whole field with top FAs. If no Grandal, I would have expected a bigger piece in RF, but not now.

Quote Originally Posted by Sockeye View Post
    Iíd prefer to see most remaining resources go towards starting pitching. I think you can plug a relatively cheap FA, later in the offseason, into right field and get much more production than we got last season, there.
    Pitching is a must. RF is now a luxury after the Grandal signing. You canít load the whole field with top FAs. If no Grandal, I would have expected a bigger piece in RF, but not now.
    Yep. Really hoping itís Wheeler too.

The gap between him and whomever is currently the worst starter in the rotation is immensely larger than the gap of say Puig/Castellanos vs Leury.

But if we plan to take the payroll above 125, and we know we have enough for a SP and Castellanos says he'd sign for something reasonable I wouldn't oppose as long as it doesn't take us out of the running for one of the better SPs out there

Life is short and baseball careers are even shorter. I think Jerry told Kenny and Rick to go for it now.

Page 13 of 41 FirstFirst ... 3111213141523 ... LastLast