Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 32 of 45 FirstFirst ... 22303132333442 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Pierzynski4Prez View Post
    Payroll is at about 106 million after all the recent additions.

Extending Robert at 8/80 probably would have him at about 4-5 million in the 1st year (assuming it's done similar to Eloy's, just a bit higher on the AAV)

So roughly 110 million committed at the moment, I'd think we have still about 15ish million to play with. Castellanos would be huge. Still not a great defensive OF, but tremendous depth on this team.

Bench would consist of Leury, McCann, Mazara to start.
    Mandigral 2nd
    Robert CF
    Moncada 3rd
    Jimenez LF
    Abrea 1st
    Grandall C
    Castallenos DH
    Mazara RF
    Anderson ss
    Last edited by Bainsy; 12-23-2019 at 06:18 PM.

He (Castallenos) makes that lineup tough all the way through...

I would not throw in the towel on Mazara just yet, especially with a player the caliber of Nick Castellanos.

Castellanos was a 0.6 war player, his age 21-24 seasons, compared to 1.8 for Mazara. Castellanos has been around 6.5 war in the 3 years since. There has been a lot of recency bias towards Castellanos because of his 2nd half with the Cubs. Mazara could very well break out to a much greater degree than Castellanos and being left handed in the Sox future lineup looks good as well.

Iím not saying Castellanos would not help this team, but to automatically ship Mazara off to the bench for Castellanos, not to mention the years/dollars Castellanos might require, may not be the best allocation of assets.
    Last edited by Sockeye; 12-23-2019 at 06:25 PM.

Yea....The number of years would worry me too on Castallenos....Boras would want 5 years at the least.

That's why it might EE as our new DH.

To put things in perspective, Avi Garcia was a -0.8 war player his age 21-24 seasons, albeit a much smaller sample size in terms of PAs, but in the 4 years since has been a 7.6 war player, with much better defensive metrics that Castellanos. Will cost probably 50-65% AAV what Castellanos will get and for much shorter future commitment.

One last thing to consider is that a corner outfield position is something that we can address at the trade deadline. Lets see how the season is going, how our young players are performing and if we need to, pick up a salary dump player in July. Corner Outfielders should be readily available in July and let Mazara have the at bats in the meantime instead of committing to a 4-5 year deal with another RH bat for a good, not great player.

Besides, what happened to all the ďgo all in for Mookie BettsĒ talk?
    Just kidding.....Sox arenít signing Betts!
    Last edited by Sockeye; 12-23-2019 at 06:53 PM.

Could the Castellanos rumor just be a ruse to create some leverage in Encarnacion talks?

Quote Originally Posted by Sockeye View Post
    Could the Castellanos rumor just be a ruse to create some leverage in Encarnacion talks?
    EE's father just passed away I heard with services literally today. I doubt they are trying to use other players as leverage on EE at the moment. Would be a **** move by our FO if so.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hadnít heard that. Condolences to EE.

Heard on MLB network that Castellanos because of his age, may be looking for 6 yr deal. Ouch!

While I see Kopech as a starter eventually, if the Sox decide to use him in the pen this season, can you imagine if the Sox were able to pry Hader away from the Brewers and could throw out a bullpen duo of Hader/Kopech?

Ok, back to reality!

I think a deal for a DH, especially one at the end of his career like EE, could be done after the All-Star break - provided that the team is in contention and needs an extra bat. However, at that point there might be other options available via trade or perhaps, internally.

For example, there is a remote possibility that Vaughn rakes at every level and is ready to be promoted as a RH DH by late July or August. I don't recall a young prospect being promoted to our major league roster from the minors to primarily or exclusively be a DH, but that would certainly accelerate Vaughn's path to the majors.

Quote Originally Posted by Bainsy View Post
    After his TJ surgery which he will be like 20 months removed by opening day, I think. The worst thing you can do is put him in the bullpen....The uncertainty of not knowing when you pitching,the up and down of getting warmed up.Plus the fact that he will be a #1 if he lives up to potential, there's not a doubt about that. And finally we traded a future HOFer for him. He's a starter. As far as people bringing up pitch counts...They all will be in the beginning of the year....for about 5 starts or so....
    100% agree with this. 0 chance heís pitching daily out of bullpen like Hader this year...maybe 2 years from now if he fails as a SP. I expect they will keep him to 5 IP and skip a few starts while using a 6 man rotation

Iím not saying Kopech will he in the pen. Iím not saying I wouldnít want him to be a starter. Iím just saying with the deity we have, and a likely limit on innings for Kopech, this season he would be great for a pen and Iím almost positive heíd be elite in that role. Thereís still uncertainty as if he will be the elite ace we covet. After this year, if he wants to shift back to a starter, with no restrictions, go for it. Or if heís as good as he could be as a reliever, maybe it sticks.

The whole notion that he has to be a starter to be valuable is wrong though.

Page 32 of 45 FirstFirst ... 22303132333442 ... LastLast