Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 20 of 41 FirstFirst ... 10181920212230 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Muttman73 View Post
    Maybe not, but they have to get somebody and there are not a lot of options. They absolutely cannot go into 2020 without adding at least 1 respectable frontline pitcher.
    I was referring to the Giants not us lol

Quote Originally Posted by ds637 View Post
    Curious if you guys think this is the Sox first contend year or if it is next year.

Got a couple players I like as either this is the content year or to trade and be prepped for next year as a true contention year.

Rick Porcello - Think if you can get him recovered to anywhere near his peak he would be a massive deadline trade guy or someone to actually be on the team. Would think a 1-2 year deal would be no lose. Solid inning eater without much arm injury risk and if he pitchers anywhere near his potential keeper or decent trade haul.

Felix Hernendez - I know. He's been pretty bad for years. I think the Sox structure with a leader like Abreu would be great for him. I'm convinced he has basically been a lazy **** like Miguel Cabrera and neglected his own talent. He's too young to drop this fast. His starter days may be done, but if you can rebuild him on a minimum deal as a reliever this could be a huge value.

Ben Zobrist - Wouldn't be an impact signing by any stretch. I think they need to add a guy like him. 200ish plate appearances and he should still be above average. Mainly think they need to add a champ like him to the locker room to make the end goal more serious to the young guys.

Castellanos - Pipe dream IMO but would be amazing. Plenty of prime years, isn't going to destroy the bank, maybe just pee on it.

Kipnis - depending on price, feel like you could rehab him and use as trade bait or a major bench piece. Don't think he ever came back properly from injury so an initial bench role might get him back.

Andrew Cashner - He's due for a pen role. His arm can't handle starting and he has great stuff. Perfect age to get him in the pen for a few great years.

Addison Russell - Dumbass, but solid + war player. Give him a year as a backup and let people forget his past, maybe he grows up. He's so young, still great potential, don't think it's fair to judge him for the rest of his life based on an early 20's kid being a ****ing *******. He just doesn't seem like a permanent bad guy, I think he can rebuild his character.

Greg Bird - Minimal money. This is basically if you think the Sox might move Abreu before his deal is over. I love Abreu. If Bird could stay healthy enough to DH, he might help you save money on Abreu and get a decent prospect.

Puig - I can't stand him. I think he would be good piece to sign cheap, let him go out an prove himself early and dump him on someone.

Avisail Garcia - Great bring back target if he's cheap. Would be a nice 4th outfielder.
    It's an impossible question to answer. We need things to go right. As does any MLB team. We need to 1st and foremost add at least 1 good SP. We also have to wait and see how well Madrigal and Robert transition to the majors. We need Cease to make strides with his command, we need Giolito to not be a fluke, we need Kopech to stay healthy.

I guess the best answer is, we can at least hope to contend for the AL Central and possibly the WC this year. Next year we should expect to be a playoff team or we should all be disappointed. I've been pointing at 2020 as our Turn Around year for a long time. Hopefully I wasn't overzealous

Quote Originally Posted by dabears34ft View Post
    I was referring to the Giants not us lol
    HaH - sorry man, I'm just used to getting jumped on in here. I read that too, SF doesn't want to pay him. I'd give him $100M/4 for years to come to Chicago. Structure it so he gets more up front 35/30/20/15 or something along those lines, a win - win for both sides.
    1985 Bears
    2005 White Sox
    2010 Blackhawks
    1991 Bulls

1981 Sting

The Sox can definitely contend in 2020. They were 42-44 at the all star break, sending out Castillo for a majority of games at catcher until he got injured. Alonzo as our 1B/ DH, and Palka in RF. For the 2nd half we still didnít have a DH, RF and half a rotation. You replace those holes with even replacement level players and you can make an argument that the Sox can contend.

Keep in mind, that this is not the west or east. The AL and NL central divisions are the most winnable in baseball.
    Last edited by Sockeye; 12-05-2019 at 11:46 PM.

Yeah, they are ready to contend now, but Iíd rather still focus on guys that can help in 2021 and beyond. Iím still holding out hope for one of Rendon or Strasburg. Otherwise, sign a few guys to shorter deals and focus on Mookie next year.

Iíd roll the dice on Taijuan Walker on an inventive laden 3-4 year deal with mutual options built in based on performance. Maybe guarantee 2 years.

Read an article on ESPN just a bit ago, suggesting 2 trade scenarios for Betts, 1 being from us. Proposed trade was Lopez, Dunning, and Basabe. Would shore up RF for us for at least next year (and give us time to work on an extension) and I'd probably do that trade since Basabe is potentially going to be blocked in the OF, Dunning and his injury concerns, but just another hole in the rotation losing Lopez. We'd definitely also need to sign 2 guys into our rotation right away.

https://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/...rades-want-see

Quote Originally Posted by Pierzynski4Prez View Post
    Read an article on ESPN just a bit ago, suggesting 2 trade scenarios for Betts, 1 being from us. Proposed trade was Lopez, Dunning, and Basabe. Would shore up RF for us for at least next year (and give us time to work on an extension) and I'd probably do that trade since Basabe is potentially going to be blocked in the OF, Dunning and his injury concerns, but just another hole in the rotation losing Lopez. We'd definitely also need to sign 2 guys into our rotation right away.

I'd do that in a heartbeat .........The Red Sox not so much!

Quote Originally Posted by Pierzynski4Prez View Post

I'd make that deal. They need two pitchers anyway, Lopez projects as a long reliver when Rodon eventually returns.
    1985 Bears
    2005 White Sox
    2010 Blackhawks
    1991 Bulls

1981 Sting

Quote Originally Posted by shorvath721 View Post
    Yeah, they are ready to contend now, but Iíd rather still focus on guys that can help in 2021 and beyond. Iím still holding out hope for one of Rendon or Strasburg. Otherwise, sign a few guys to shorter deals and focus on Mookie next year.

Iíd roll the dice on Taijuan Walker on an inventive laden 3-4 year deal with mutual options built in based on performance. Maybe guarantee 2 years.
    If you're looking to contend 2021 and beyond. Strasburg would be an awful target. Why would you get locked in to a contract around 30 million for likely 5-6 years for a 31 year old pitcher with arm history?

Rendon maybe.... I just feel like contracts for guys like this shorten the window. He'll be 30 for most of next year. He'll get 5 years minimum of a huge payday with outs.

Both players you're paying for their decline if you're looking at 2021. Sox don't need to do that right now.

I really like the Walker idea. Another arm injury guy, but he's high risk and won't command scary long term money. Think if you could structure the deal right, you could get an amazing return and let him go before his final payday.

If I were the Sox, unless I could sign a guy outright like Castellanos who is still young, I wouldn't do much big long-term spending. They're doing this right. See how close to their ceiling guys like Eloy and Cease can get and supplement that for 2021. Anything they do this year is a bonus, wouldn't want them to blow their load on guys starting their decline.

I think it's a must that we land a big time pitcher. I get we have 3 high upside SP's (Giolito/Cease/Kopech), but we need a veteran presence that isn't just an innings eater like Shields or Nova. Although I'd be cool bringing back Nova as a 5th pitcher as well as an Ace quality starter like MadBum. I'd try dangling Lopez in a trade in that scenario.

Our rotation potential is through the roof. But I want experience. Gio/Cease/Kopech have ace upside with Gio almost there already. Lopez/Dunning/Rodon has upside with a lot of question marks. You add a MadBum and we can now throw some of these guys in the pen, or use them as trade bait to improve our offense. We also have a guy like Stiever on the upward trajectory in the minors. I'd like to think Joc Pederson wouldn't pull away any of the pitchers named here though.

Rumors floating around that Ozuna is signing on Monday.

https://mobile.twitter.com/hgomez27/...0%2Fframe.html

I hope that's false. I'm not a huge fan of Ozuna. He isn't a great enough bat to sacrifice more defense. We are already sacrificing in LF and to an extent SS, but those guys carry upside.

Yes. Swing conflicting reports on Ozuna. Maybe he is coming, but if not, at the very least, maybe it can be used as leverage in a deal with LA for Petersen. Show LA we have options and are not desperate for a deal.

Letís just say for arguments sake, that we can make a deal like the one mentioned for Betts. If we are in contention for the division, it would probably be be worth it, as it has probably worked out for us right?

On the flip side, letís say we made the deal, but it hasnít worked out, how much less could we get back for Betts at the deadline than we gave up to get him in the first place? Is that drop off in assets worth a half season of Betts and the opportunity to roll the dice and increase our chances to sign him and see if it puts us in contention?

Page 20 of 41 FirstFirst ... 10181920212230 ... LastLast