Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 67 of 67 FirstFirst ... 1757656667
Results 991 to 1,005 of 1005
    Puig tested positive for COVID. I'm not sure if this means he won't be signing with the Braves or if this will just delay the signing.
    2020 Vikings Draft:
    1: Justin Jefferson WR LSU
    1: Jeff Gladney CB TCU
    2: Ezra Cleveland OT Boise State
    3: Cameron Dantzler CB Mississippi State
    4: D.J. Wonnum DE South Carolina
    4: James Lynch DT Baylor
    4: Troy Dye LB Oregon
    5: Harrison Hand CB Temple
    5: K.J. Osborn WR Miami
    6: Blake Brandel OT Oregon State
    6: Josh Metellus S Michigan
    7: Kenny Willekes DE Michigan State
    7: Nate Stanley QB Iowa
    7: Brian Cole S Mississippi State
    7: Kyle Hinton G Washburn

Quote Originally Posted by vikingsfan0845 View Post
    Puig tested positive for COVID. I'm not sure if this means he won't be signing with the Braves or if this will just delay the signing.
    Will not sign right now. When he passes his COVID testing we might revisit.

Alright, I know I am bending the rules a bit here, as I am jumping ahead to this coming offseason and I don't believe we have a thread yet for it but I wanted to ask a question. So, Markakis will be a free agent this winter, is turning 37 and I assume that moving on from him might be the best idea.

So, if the Braves do move on from Markakis, who would be an idea corner OF replacement for him? My assumption is that Pache and Acuna man CF and the other corner OF spot and that this OF replacement would team with Duvall at the other corner OF spot.

Quote Originally Posted by hector olivera? View Post
    Alright, I know I am bending the rules a bit here, as I am jumping ahead to this coming offseason and I don't believe we have a thread yet for it but I wanted to ask a question. So, Markakis will be a free agent this winter, is turning 37 and I assume that moving on from him might be the best idea.

So, if the Braves do move on from Markakis, who would be an idea corner OF replacement for him? My assumption is that Pache and Acuna man CF and the other corner OF spot and that this OF replacement would team with Duvall at the other corner OF spot.
    As you said Duvall should be back, he's arbitration elegible and should play everyday in LF/RF. A guy a lot of people here wanted 2 years ago was Michael Brantley, he's a FA again this offseason, premium bat who is probably more useful as a DH but can play the OF a bit, if we don't resign Ozuna, he's my choice.

The Braves might choose to keep Pache at AAA since he probably need more time, same with Waters so even if we keep Duvall we might need another one (unless you start with Inciarte), would it make sense to sign both (Ozuna and Brantley) and share LF? That would give Pache another year in the minors and could replace Duvall by 2022?

Here is a list of players/salaries being dropped after this season.

Melancon - 15.5M
    Hamels - 18M
    Ozuna - 18M
    Folty - 6.4M
    Greene - 6.25M
    Markakis - 4M
    Flowers - 4M
    Chacon - 1.6M
    Hernandez - 1M
    Hechevaria - 1M
    Tomlin - 1M
    Milone - 1M
    Solarte - 1M

The Braves payroll should be around 90M-95M after ARB and rookie contracts.

ATL could have a rotation of Soroka, Fried, Anderson, Wright, Wilson. That would be very good and very cheap. That allows ATL to spend mo way elsewhere.

That said, I think Ozuna has to be retained. Waters isnít ready and when he is, Ozuna can be a DH (assuming the NL adopts it full time, which I believe they will very soon). Ozuna keeps this lineup very potent for years to come and keeps the window to win open right now.

After that, I would prioritize Greene. He has been very good and has experience closing. Smith, Greene, Martin, Minter keep the bullpen very well stocked.

Lastly, Duvall should be retained in ARB for one more year. He was favored in to the 90M-95M total (above) as an ARB contract.

That would give ATL a rough-draft roster of something like:

Acuna - RF
    Freeman - 1B
    Ozuna - LF/DH
    TDA - C
    Albies - 2B
    Swanson - SS
    Duvall - LF/DH
    Riley - 3B
    Pache - CF

Soroka
    Fried
    Anderson
    Wright
    Wilson

Greene
    Martin
    Smith
    Minter
    OíDay
    Matzek
    Jackson
    Dayton

Camargo
    Culberson
    Inciarte
    Jackson (C)

Thatís a 26 man roster that still leaves plenty of depth at pitcher (Davidson, Ynoa, Touki, Newcomb, Sobotka, Weigel - depending on who is retained).

If the payroll is 95M, add in Ozuna at 18M & Greene at 8M and the payroll is about 120M. After a late playoff run I think this is completely reasonable and should continue to make ATL very relevant in the NL for the next few years. It also probably leaves money for other small signings for depth as well as mid-season moves if needed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Coach100 View Post
    Here is a list of players/salaries being dropped after this season.

Melancon - 15.5M
    Hamels - 18M
    Ozuna - 18M
    Folty - 6.4M
    Greene - 6.25M
    Markakis - 4M
    Flowers - 4M
    Chacon - 1.6M
    Hernandez - 1M
    Hechevaria - 1M
    Tomlin - 1M
    Milone - 1M
    Solarte - 1M

The Braves payroll should be around 90M-95M after ARB and rookie contracts.

ATL could have a rotation of Soroka, Fried, Anderson, Wright, Wilson. That would be very good and very cheap. That allows ATL to spend mo way elsewhere.

That said, I think Ozuna has to be retained. Waters isnít ready and when he is, Ozuna can be a DH (assuming the NL adopts it full time, which I believe they will very soon). Ozuna keeps this lineup very potent for years to come and keeps the window to win open right now.

After that, I would prioritize Greene. He has been very good and has experience closing. Smith, Greene, Martin, Minter keep the bullpen very well stocked.

Lastly, Duvall should be retained in ARB for one more year. He was favored in to the 90M-95M total (above) as an ARB contract.

That would give ATL a rough-draft roster of something like:

Acuna - RF
    Freeman - 1B
    Ozuna - LF/DH
    TDA - C
    Albies - 2B
    Swanson - SS
    Duvall - LF/DH
    Riley - 3B
    Pache - CF

Soroka
    Fried
    Anderson
    Wright
    Wilson

Greene
    Martin
    Smith
    Minter
    OíDay
    Matzek
    Jackson
    Dayton

Camargo
    Culberson
    Inciarte
    Jackson (C)

Thatís a 26 man roster that still leaves plenty of depth at pitcher (Davidson, Ynoa, Touki, Newcomb, Sobotka, Weigel - depending on who is retained).

If the payroll is 95M, add in Ozuna at 18M & Greene at 8M and the payroll is about 120M. After a late playoff run I think this is completely reasonable and should continue to make ATL very relevant in the NL for the next few years. It also probably leaves money for other small signings for depth as well as mid-season moves if needed.

I think there is no way Ozuna is back at 18M. JD Martinez deal with the Red Sox is a good comparison, that contract was 110M for 5 years, if the Braves offer that, it might be enough to bring him back, that's 22MM AAV, I would rather get Melancon back instead of Greene, because he's been great in his role and will probably command less years in his contract, He's 35 might be able to ink him to a 1 year deal, Greene is probably looking at a 2-3 year deal, someone will pay him to be his closer, even though he's not that good. Melancon won't get anywhere near 15.5MM though.

That starter 5 looks solid, but I still want a better dude and let Wright and Wilson fight for the 5th spot.

Beldugo - I think it is really hard to predict FA contracts for this upcoming offseason. Everything I have heard and read seems to believe spending in baseball is going to go down, maybe a lot. Some also think top FA will still get paid a normal rate and it is the middle of the pack and lower FA that will take the hit, but we have no way of knowing how it will play out.

I guessed at lower than expected contracts (in normal years) for both Greene and Ozuna. It is totally reasonable that Ozuna gets more than I guessed at. That is part of the reason I only took a stab at one year for Ozuna. I could see Ozuna with something like 4/86 or 5/110 at something like 18, 20, 22, 24, 24 over 4-5 years.

As for Greene v Melancon - Greene is 4 years younger, has been really good in ATL and has closing experience. If ATL needs to cut some spending to make sure they can keep Ozuna, this is a reasonable place to do it.

Also, I donít love relying on SPs that are all young with limited experience. It really came down to would I rather have Ozuna or a SP and I picked Ozuna. ATL built this team to be fueled by all of these young arms and eventually you have to hand them the reigns. If ATL has a budget of 130M or less they probably canít keep Ozuna, keep one of Greene/Melancon, and add a solid SP. and if ATL is looking to add a so-so innings eater for cheap, I would rather give these youngsters their chance at the bottom of the rotation. It saves money and gets them experience.

Quote Originally Posted by Coach100 View Post
    Beldugo - I think it is really hard to predict FA contracts for this upcoming offseason. Everything I have heard and read seems to believe spending in baseball is going to go down, maybe a lot. Some also think top FA will still get paid a normal rate and it is the middle of the pack and lower FA that will take the hit, but we have no way of knowing how it will play out.

I guessed at lower than expected contracts (in normal years) for both Greene and Ozuna. It is totally reasonable that Ozuna gets more than I guessed at. That is part of the reason I only took a stab at one year for Ozuna. I could see Ozuna with something like 4/86 or 5/110 at something like 18, 20, 22, 24, 24 over 4-5 years.

As for Greene v Melancon - Greene is 4 years younger, has been really good in ATL and has closing experience. If ATL needs to cut some spending to make sure they can keep Ozuna, this is a reasonable place to do it.

Also, I donít love relying on SPs that are all young with limited experience. It really came down to would I rather have Ozuna or a SP and I picked Ozuna. ATL built this team to be fueled by all of these young arms and eventually you have to hand them the reigns. If ATL has a budget of 130M or less they probably canít keep Ozuna, keep one of Greene/Melancon, and add a solid SP. and if ATL is looking to add a so-so innings eater for cheap, I would rather give these youngsters their chance at the bottom of the rotation. It saves money and gets them experience.

You're right about the FA contracts this offseason, the pandemic will probably keep some salaries down, but either way, if salaries are down so are the payrolls. I could see the Braves backloading Ozuna's contract as you proposed to try and maximize this core of player for the next 3-4 years.

Greene has been really good and being younger is the main reason why he probably cost more money than Melancon. Greene is a good investment for most teams but since we might be adamant of going multiple years for a reliever since we already have Smith, Melancon might make more sense on a 1 year deal. Even if Melancon has a higher AAV, if we backload Ozuna's contract it won't make a difference and we get money off the hook in 2022.

Melancon for 1 year at 10MM
    Ozuna 5 years 110 at 20M 21M 22MM 23M 24M

Might be a great investment, we can replace Melancon by 2022 with another good reliever and have flexibility.

Yea with revenue way down and no end in sight, FA will be very interesting this year.

Ozuna had the best 60 games of his life. Itís interesting that everyone wants him back, but Iíve seen no one mention that this 60 game season was an extreme outlier, even compared to his best season in 2017. I donít see a huge extension, honestly. If he gets it, good for him. But no way the braves are going to give him 100+ million imo. What anyone gets really will depend on the forecast for when normalcy will return, whether the DH stays permanent (I hope) and whether we stick to a 162 schedule. At the very least, you have to count on limited fans being allowed in stadiums. Pre-COVID attendance is probably a couple of years away.

Ron Washington mentioned recently he wants to manage again. Really hoping we don't lose him.
    2020 Vikings Draft:

Braves have some decisions to make on some players this offseason:

Newcomb - there simply is no room for him in the rotation and he hasn't shown enough to really deserve consideration anyway. He has demonstrated some ability out of the 'pen but the bullpen is deep and I assume that they will try to trade him.

Touissant - certainly no room in the rotation and likely not in the bullpen either. Do you trade him or just put in AAA as insurance in case injuries strike?

Camargo - incredibly disappointing season considering that he was seemingly in great shape in the spring. It was an abbreviated season, so I am trying to take this into account but was 2018 an outlier? I assume he will stick around and fight for one of the last bench spots.

Weigel - He's 26 right now and will be 27 next July. No room in the rotation and possibly no room in the bullpen either. They haven't shown much faith in him and I assume he has little trade value. I assume you keep him around in AAA as an option in case injuries strike.

Inciarte - The Braves are on the hook for $8.7 to him in 2021; he's untradeable unless the Braves are willing to include something of value with him.

Well the of / dh FA class is not good. Castellanos (if he opts out), Springer and ozuna are top options (at least as far as outfielders are concerned).
    Last edited by thomass; 10-20-2020 at 10:37 AM.
    Smart Person List: BRAVE KID, Beldugo, flea, Jeffy25

Quote Originally Posted by hector olivera? View Post
    Braves have some decisions to make on some players this offseason:

Newcomb - there simply is no room for him in the rotation and he hasn't shown enough to really deserve consideration anyway. He has demonstrated some ability out of the 'pen but the bullpen is deep and I assume that they will try to trade him.

Touissant - certainly no room in the rotation and likely not in the bullpen either. Do you trade him or just put in AAA as insurance in case injuries strike?

Camargo - incredibly disappointing season considering that he was seemingly in great shape in the spring. It was an abbreviated season, so I am trying to take this into account but was 2018 an outlier? I assume he will stick around and fight for one of the last bench spots.

Weigel - He's 26 right now and will be 27 next July. No room in the rotation and possibly no room in the bullpen either. They haven't shown much faith in him and I assume he has little trade value. I assume you keep him around in AAA as an option in case injuries strike.

Inciarte - The Braves are on the hook for $8.7 to him in 2021; he's untradeable unless the Braves are willing to include something of value with him.
    If I was the one making the decision:

1) Trade him
    2) Trade him
    3) Keep him for the bench
    4) Keep him at AAA
    5) Keep him for the bench because you won't be able to get rid of him.

The OF will surely be Duvall-Pache-AcuŮa with Waters up at some point to platoon with Duvall. Need to obviously sign Ozuna back.

DOB tweeted that Soroka is "progressing on or ahead of schedule in his recovery from a torn right Achilles' tendon"

Also said AA expects Soroka will be throwing when spring training starts.
    2020 Vikings Draft:

What interest level would people have in LeMahieu as a 3B/DH? He could be a really nice bat in the 2-hole between Acuna or Freeman or even hitting 3rd behind Freeman. He might come cheaper than Ozuna due to age or at least command a shorter contract.

I would hate to see ATL weaken this lineup greatly by losing Ozuna and not replacing him with a good bat, especially with Riley still struggling so badly.

Page 67 of 67 FirstFirst ... 1757656667