Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 54 of 64 FirstFirst ... 4445253545556 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by vikingsfan0845 View Post
    I think we can take any or all of a few things away from the Donaldson saga. All debatable points, but food for thought...

1) AA continues to keep prospects AND keep their paths pretty open beyond one season at a time.

2) AA believes JD is not worth a deal of 4+ years and/or the dollar total he got. My guess is it was length, not money.

3) AA is allowing this team to build from the inside. That means as players grow, they may take on new roles. For example, Acuna moving off the leadoff spot and being a middle of the order bat or Soroka becoming an ace.

4) AA still does not see ATL as being one addition away from a WS title. If AA thought JD made ATL a read WS contender in the next 2-3 years, wouldn’t he be worth the risk?

Personally I think 1, 2, & 3 are true, but not 4. Because of this, I think fans should expect any addition to be a short term answer - one, maybe two years - and accept that AA is going to let young players grow into their roles with the ML team when their time comes. This means he won’t trade major prospect pieces (Anderson, Wright, Riley, Pache, Waters may all be off limits) and will allow the youngsters and their development guide the direction this team goes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Coach100 View Post
    I think we can take any or all of a few things away from the Donaldson saga. All debatable points, but food for thought...

1) AA continues to keep prospects AND keep their paths pretty open beyond one season at a time.

2) AA believes JD is not worth a deal of 4+ years and/or the dollar total he got. My guess is it was length, not money.

3) AA is allowing this team to build from the inside. That means as players grow, they may take on new roles. For example, Acuna moving off the leadoff spot and being a middle of the order bat or Soroka becoming an ace.

4) AA still does not see ATL as being one addition away from a WS title. If AA thought JD made ATL a read WS contender in the next 2-3 years, wouldn’t he be worth the risk?

Personally I think 1, 2, & 3 are true, but not 4. Because of this, I think fans should expect any addition to be a short term answer - one, maybe two years - and accept that AA is going to let young players grow into their roles with the ML team when their time comes. This means he won’t trade major prospect pieces (Anderson, Wright, Riley, Pache, Waters may all be off limits) and will allow the youngsters and their development guide the direction this team goes.

With improved bullpen by adding pieces in off-season, Acuna, Albies, Soroka, Fried, Swanson (maybe?), etc young guys expected to improve even more and hopefully a better rotation with young guys improving and addition of Hamels and not have unexpected downfall of Gausman and Folty def better our chances of being champions and hopefully Folty will get his 2018 rhythm back...

Now we are without Donaldson. A big hole to fill...

You know, we got a lot of IFs too:

If Folty returns old self
    If Ender keeps playing like he did bf hurt
    If Riley figures out how hit slider and shines
    If Swanson can pull himself together

All teams have IFs but ours seem more realistically to happen if........

Honestly not sure how I feel about this. I don’t think you can build long-term success without mixing prospects around as capital and as your players of the future. To continually hold on to such a path will lengthen our “good” years, but hold us back from great ones. I agree with a lot of his moves, but believe we have to use players as financial pieces, too.

Idk. It seems like the safe play to hold onto these players, just in case one turns out to be the next best thing. I don’t feel like you can hold onto 90%+ of them bc you don’t want to “let one get away.” By doing that, you’re effectively letting championships get away. Just my opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by HowFit View Post
    You know, we got a lot of IFs too:

If Folty returns old self
    If Ender keeps playing like he did bf hurt
    If Riley figures out how hit slider and shines
    If Swanson can pull himself together

All teams have IFs but ours seem more realistically to happen if........
    If Camargo is his 2018 version

You aren’t wrong. Signing JD would have only erased one of those, though. That one concern is far and away the biggest “IF” though.

I would argue Folty could be just OK and it wouldn’t crush the team. But if he is his 2018 version, it would be huge. Same with Ender. And Swanson isn’t a problem, but progress would always be nice.

Quote Originally Posted by Number2sena View Post
    Honestly not sure how I feel about this. I don’t think you can build long-term success without mixing prospects around as capital and as your players of the future. To continually hold on to such a path will lengthen our “good” years, but hold us back from great ones. I agree with a lot of his moves, but believe we have to use players as financial pieces, too.

Idk. It seems like the safe play to hold onto these players, just in case one turns out to be the next best thing. I don’t feel like you can hold onto 90%+ of them bc you don’t want to “let one get away.” By doing that, you’re effectively letting championships get away. Just my opinion.
    I think AA is waiting to see who pans out - or shows the most signs of doing so - before he commits to longer vet contracts. I think that is when you will see the “mix” of vets and youngsters.

If AA doesn't believe the Braves are WS contenders. Shelling out 31 million to Hamels and Smith is pretty questionable IMO.

If I understand correctly based on what you guys have said, both Marte and Bryant can be done without giving up Anderson, Waters and Pache? Why Pirates (or anybody) want Ender, is beyond my understanding. Not being critical of him by any means but he is aging and slower after all...

So if include Ender in Marte trade, we really wouldn’t be spending much more in cap space (still not understanding why Ender) and yes, I understand they would be getting a few of our prospects as well. If both Marte and Bryant could be had for that then why not??? Or did I misread someone’s post? Seems unbelievable to me and an easy solution. Our O should look even better even without JD. who’s holding back???

Quote Originally Posted by BraveWorld23 View Post
    If AA doesn't believe the Braves are WS contenders. Shelling out 31 million to Hamels and Smith is pretty questionable IMO.
    I agree. No way I believe we would move forward into the season with what we have now...

I think the Cubs would want Ender, as he is probably the best defensive CF in the gm who is serviceable at the plate

Both the Mets and Phillies got better. The Marlins, almost by default, should be better (doubt they can get any worse). The Nats are still strong. This is a really tough division. If we flounder at the start of 2020 like we did last year it’s going to be harder to win the division. This team could finish 1st but could also easily finish 3rd. I really hope AA makes a move soon. I know you should never make a move out of desperation but our World Series window is wide open. Need to take advantage while we can.

2019 Vikings Draft :
    Round 1: Garrett Bradbury C N.C. State
    Round 2: Irv Smith TE Alabama
    Round 3: Alex Mattison RB Boise State
    Round 4: Dru Samia G Oklahoma
    Round 5: Cameron Smith LB USC
    Round 6: Armon Watts DT Arkansas
    Round 6: Marcus Epps S Wyoming
    Round 6: Oli Udoh OT Elon
    Round 7: Kris Boyd CB Texas
    Round 7: Dillon Mitchell WR Oregon
    Round 7: Olabisi Johnson WR Colorado State
    Round 7: Austin Cutting LS Air Force

Braves signed Chris Rusin (LHP) to a minor league deal with an invitation to spring training. Stunk lately but was solid in 2017.

2019 Vikings Draft :

Just in case anybody has illusions of trading for Betts, Buster Onley reported the Red Sox are asking for 2 top flight prospects AND taking on David Price’s 96 million dollar contract. So 2 top prospects and 123 million in salary. In other words, Betts will remain a Red Sock.

2019 Vikings Draft :

Quote Originally Posted by vikingsfan0845 View Post
    Just in case anybody has illusions of trading for Betts, Buster Onley reported the Red Sox are asking for 2 top flight prospects AND taking on David Price’s 96 million dollar contract. So 2 top prospects and 123 million in salary. In other words, Betts will remain a Red Sock.

I think we have discussed Mookie before, he’s one of baseballs best. We’ve also discussed Price. I don’t think we have discussed them as a tandem, I could be wrong, I just don’t remember discussing rhrn as a tandem. I think the Sox are correct to ask for the Sun for him, I think they know they won’t get it!

I do believe the Braves would consider parting with one of their top prospects for the lone year he has left. I don’t believe they would part with two, I do believe we would have some level of interest in Price, just not at his contract. So the two of them together? The Braves would likely want money from the Sox, without giving up one of those top three. And I don’t know that I see the Sox doing that.

I think Betts May get moved. If not now at the deadline, because I don’t see the Sox contending, nor do I see them re-signing either Luxury tax waiting. I think I read somewhere that if Price were a FA this year he’d be looking at 45 mil over 3 yrs and that’s what the Sox would have to get to, to make a trade happen. So as much as love Betts and think Price could turn it around, I don’t see the Braves, nor any team making that trade.

To give a hypothetical for the Braves.....
    Price, Betts, and 45 mil for Ender, Wilson, Contreras, and Muler. I don’t think the Sox do that. As I typed this I realize I have had this conversation before.

Read the Mets and Pirates have reengaged trade talks for Marte
    2019 Vikings Draft :