Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 5 of 31 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast
    Price gas been one of my favorite players and I even hypothetically pitched a move like this last season. However the Sox would have to eat an awful lot of Money for it to be an option for us.

I don’t think us getting Benintendi would automatically mean flipping Waters or Pache. I actually think the Braves would use the season to try and revive Benintendi’s stock and make a decision at the break or after the season.

I brought up the K.Bryant rumor and someone thought it was silly? I agree if the Cubs are trying to gain controlled pitching for Contreras, I feel the same way I did about Bryant, Try to get it done!
    Last edited by SB75; 11-05-2019 at 02:03 PM.

9. Nicholas Castellanos, OF
    Best fits: Braves, Cubs, Marlins, Blue Jays, Mariners, Padres, Giants, Angels

Contract prediction
    Years: Four
    AAV: $16 million
    Total: $64 million
    That seems way too low. 4/64 for Castellanos? Sign me up. Figure out the rest later.
    Smart Person List: BRAVE KID, Beldugo, flea, Jeffy25

Quote Originally Posted by SB75 View Post
    Price gas been one of my favorite players and I even hypothetically pitched a move like this last season. However the Sox would have to eat an awful lot of Money for it to be an option for us.

I don’t think us getting Benintendi would automatically mean flipping Waters or Pache. I actually think the Braves would use the season to try and revive Benintendi’s stock and make a decision at the break or after the season.

I brought up the K.Bryant rumor and someone thought it was silly? I agree if the Cubs are trying to gain controlled pitching for Contreras, I feel the same way I did about Bryant, Try to get it done!
    The amount of salary the Red Sox would send would the most intriguing part. Price is set to make 32 million next year and Benintendi is projected to earn 4.9 in arbitration. So 37 million added to 2020. Price total is due 96 million over the next 3 years total. Currently we have 31 players on the 40 man roster and they are projected to cost around 95 million. The Braves 2019 payroll ended at 143 million.

What would the Braves need to make this work? Donaldson is going to be the main priority and I think if he resigns he'll get at least 25 million, probably over 3 years. So I'll include that in the projections. That pushes payroll up to about 120 million. I believe AA keeps about 7-8 million for in season trades so we'll call it 128. Price and Benintendi would push it 165 before the Red Sox kick in some cash. Even if the Red Sox kicked in 36 million (12 over 3 years so 20 million a year we owe to Price) that only drops the payroll to around 153 for 2020. We would still need another starter, a catcher, and at least 1 bullpen arm. Now that I am doing the math on this the deal seems to make little sense.Plus, the more money the Red Sox retain the more the Braves have to give up in terms of prospects.

I'm souring on this idea but I'm still on board with trading for Contreras.
    2019 Vikings Draft :
    Round 1: Garrett Bradbury C N.C. State
    Round 2: Irv Smith TE Alabama
    Round 3: Alex Mattison RB Boise State
    Round 4: Dru Samia G Oklahoma
    Round 5: Cameron Smith LB USC
    Round 6: Armon Watts DT Arkansas
    Round 6: Marcus Epps S Wyoming
    Round 6: Oli Udoh OT Elon
    Round 7: Kris Boyd CB Texas
    Round 7: Dillon Mitchell WR Oregon
    Round 7: Olabisi Johnson WR Colorado State
    Round 7: Austin Cutting LS Air Force

Since we bring Markakis back, the Braves are probably thinking on him as a platoon player initially with Riley, if he struggles early then they'll go with Duvall. It might not be a full platoon though, if Riley looks good he will play against some RHP. This is obviously assuming Donaldson resigns. If everything go as planned, the Braves may improve by signing Grandal and trading for another starter with upside (Kluber maybe?).

Quote Originally Posted by thomass View Post
    That seems way too low. 4/64 for Castellanos? Sign me up. Figure out the rest later.
    He's a pretty bad defender thats why, he's all bat. His best place might be in LF, he can't play 3B at all and was well belove average last year in RF. In 2018 he was the worst RF in the entire league.

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/...in-free-agency

How much would you be willing to pay Mad Bum?

I actually wouldn’t mind madbum on like a 2-3 year deal. But I’m sure he’ll want to cash in big somewhere while he still can.

MLBPA Launches Investigation Of Comments From Braves GM Alex Anthopoulos

By Steve Adams | November 6, 2019 at 5:40pm CDT

Tony Clark, executive director of the Major League Baseball Players Association, announced Wednesday that the MLBPA has launched an investigation looking into recent comments from Braves general manager Alex Anthopoulos. Specifically, the union took umbrage with the following comment Anthopoulos made during a recent conference call with Atlanta beat writers (link via The Athletic’s David O’Brien):

Every day you get more information. And we’ve had time to connect with 27 of the clubs — obviously the Astros and (Nationals) being in the World Series, they were tied up — but we had a chance to get a sense of what the other clubs are going to look to do in free agency, who might be available in trades.

The MLBPA’s issue stems from Anthopoulos’ acknowledgment of getting a feel for how other clubs plan to act in free agency. With regard to sharing intel in free agency, the collective bargaining agreement states: “Players shall not act in concert with other Players, and Clubs shall not act in concert with other Clubs.” In a press release, Clark expressed extreme displeasure with Anthopoulos’ assertion and offered the following response:

The statements made by Braves GM Alex Anthopoulos call into question the integrity of the entire free-agent system. The clear description of Club coordination is egregious, and we have launched an immediate investigation looking into the matter.

It’s the latest chapter in a saga that has seen tension between labor and management mount at an alarming rate. Clark and the Union have previously asked the league to investigate whether low-payroll clubs have appropriately utilized their revenue-sharing resources — the Pirates and Marlins, specifically — as multiple agents (including agent-turned-Mets-GM Brodie Van Wagenen) have spoken of “coordinated” efforts on the part of owners to scale back salaries at the Major League level. Clark has also accused MLB teams of a “race to the bottom,” and more recently raised issue with teams’ early assertions that they’ll face payroll constraints despite the continual increase in franchise values. (The Royals and Marlins have recently sold for $1 billion and $1.2 billion.)

There’s been no shortage of speculation surrounding a potential labor stoppage at the expiration of the current collective bargaining agreement (in 2021). The extent of the unrest has prompted the league and the union to begin negotiations for the next CBA much earlier than they’d normally have begun such discussions, but today’s statement from Clark only underscores the chasm that currently exists between the two sides.

Tony must be bored. Got to justify those union dues.

Yeah, I find it hard to believe there is a lot to this. But the Union can’t just let it go when they are pushing hard on this front. AA has been around too long and is too smart to just throw out an admission on something like this.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by thomass View Post
    I actually wouldn’t mind madbum on like a 2-3 year deal. But I’m sure he’ll want to cash in big somewhere while he still can.
    Number of years would be my hesitation on signing him. Jon Lester is a comparable pitcher and after his age 30 season he got 6 years and 155 million from the Cubs. I wouldn't give MadBum 6 years and I highly doubt AA would either.
    2019 Vikings Draft :
    Round 1: Garrett Bradbury C N.C. State
    Round 2: Irv Smith TE Alabama
    Round 3: Alex Mattison RB Boise State
    Round 4: Dru Samia G Oklahoma
    Round 5: Cameron Smith LB USC
    Round 6: Armon Watts DT Arkansas
    Round 6: Marcus Epps S Wyoming
    Round 6: Oli Udoh OT Elon
    Round 7: Kris Boyd CB Texas
    Round 7: Dillon Mitchell WR Oregon
    Round 7: Olabisi Johnson WR Colorado State
    Round 7: Austin Cutting LS Air Force

I guess I might have to agree with you on a six year deal! Unless the last two are club options or declining salaries the last two years. 4 yrs is the max I’d want to go! 2 with a club option is what I really want.

Quote Originally Posted by vikingsfan0845 View Post
    Number of years would be my hesitation on signing him. Jon Lester is a comparable pitcher and after his age 30 season he got 6 years and 155 million from the Cubs. I wouldn't give MadBum 6 years and I highly doubt AA would either.
    MadBum's recent injury history is going to limit his years IMO.

One thing that I think will prevent the Braves from signing Donaldson + Bumgarner + an expensive catcher is Melancon, who is due either $14 million (base salary) or $19 million ($14 million base salary + $5 million of his signing bonus) in 2020 depending on what source you use. Granted, I suppose they could make the 2020 portion of a couple of those contracts a little lighter in order to try to make it possible.

Hypothetically.......
    If the Braves miss out on the top three pitchers ( G.C., S.S., and M.B.), would you as a Braves fan be upset at a resigning of JT for 1yr 6 to 8 mil?

Page 5 of 31 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast